Forecast weather and its impact on long flights

I love this program. I can't imagine flying the PMDG 777 with any of the older flight planners, this program really complements the 777 because of the long hauls it flies, having the correct fuel loaded can make all the difference in the world.

I was curious to know what set of weather data the program uses when calculating winds, the current weather as reported by the user's weather source, or is it smart enough to use forecasted weather for waypoints further from the origin and closer to the destination airport. It's 2 hours before my flight from OMDB to KATL, and I have the current Active Sky weather loaded into the flightplan. The flight duration is 15 hours, and surely winds will change, perhaps drastically, in such a long time frame. I will probably take the fuel quantity suggested and add a buffer amount to account for any changes in winds.

Anyhow, I was always curious about what the real life dispatchers use a mix of current and forecasted weather in the plans they submit to crews, and if so, if PFPX simulates this approach.

Hello,

im no more dispatching but i dispatched enough and my license is still current ...

anyway the name is forecast so it s a forecast you re doing using the same kind of weather as the ones you re using with PFPX.

the dispatcher is suppose to do too the flight follower at least with Can and US regulations (doug may confirm this for sure ...) so if during the flight the crew is reporting some disperancies with the forecast or even a problem that affect the flight in terms of performance then you ll check the fuel and from there you try to cut in a shorter altn using a redispatch or even it may happen an enroute stop. but first the route reserve 10 per cent for and less for other carriers is a very good help.

before releasing the crew and dispatch review the flightplan and may ask for extra top of just in case in the days of the old 747 classic the rule was set by the capt and if he was 50 or 55 then 5000 kgs or 5500 was added but the fuel price was not the same and it was common to remove freight for that ... dont think any ops will do that today ....

all the best.

Phil

When using PFPX online weather, wind forecasts are automatically taken into account. So if your flight departs in 2 hours and you pass a waypoint 8 hours after take-off, the (forecasted) wind in 10 hours is considered for this waypoint. With external weather programs this is not possible, as they contain present wind data, but no forecasts. So the actuall weather conditions are considered.

When using PFPX online weather, wind forecasts are automatically taken into account. So if your flight departs in 2 hours and you pass a waypoint 8 hours after take-off, the (forecasted) wind in 10 hours is considered for this waypoint. With external weather programs this is not possible, as they contain present wind data, but no forecasts. So the actuall weather conditions are considered.

Oh, that´s an important message !

Many thanks for the reply Christian. I figured that the real world dispatch reports included the forecasted weather in the reports, but I was not sure if PFPX had this capability. Not that PFPX is not technically capable, but I was concerned about limitations on the data used by PFPX if said data was supplied by an external weather program used by simmers, as opposed to data sources used in the real world.

As it turns out, 4 hours into my 15 hour long haul in the PMDG 777 from OMDB to KATL, facing an average 27kt headwind, my actual fuel burn is extremely close to what was predicted at each waypoint, a testament to the authencity of your program. I have no first hand dispatcher/pilot experience, but it sure feels real to me. I am so happy with this program, and with the news that we may have a total rewrite of the abysmal weather engine in FSX with the forthcoming Active Sky Next, this is turning out to be a renaissance period for FSX users who strive for the ultimate in realism.

Archived