Performance Issue with Malta

KLM SEA-AMS

I have a really big problem with the new Malta scenery. I installed and then decided to go look around. When I placed my aircraft on the runway and faced towards the airport terminal, it brought my computers to its knees. All other Simwings sceneries that I have, I get framerates in the high 20's. What makes this one so much less computer friendly? When I am parked at the terminal, everything works fine, and the framerates are fairly high. Someone please help!

• Aerosoft
I have a really big problem with the new Malta scenery. I installed and then decided to go look around. When I placed my aircraft on the runway and faced towards the airport terminal, it brought my computers to its knees. All other Simwings sceneries that I have, I get framerates in the high 20's. What makes this one so much less computer friendly? When I am parked at the terminal, everything works fine, and the framerates are fairly high. Someone please help!

Sounds like waether to me. Did you start one of the provided flights, I noticed some have rather harsh weather conditions.

I am starting to think that there is something wrong with this scenery. The performance is not like any of the Simwings sceneries that I have seen before. The only other Simwings Airport that I have these problems with is CDG, and at one moment there can be a few hundred AI planes there. I am getting similar performance at Malta as I would at CDG with 100% AI. Please help, I was so looking forward to this scenery!

I have a Geforce 6800GT but only a 2.4 Ghz P4, 1.5 GB of RAM. What suprises me is that all other Simwings sceneries run great except this one. I am almost certain that there must be something wrong with the scenery, even tough I know my processor may not be the greatest.

I have now tried even completely removing all traffic does nothing! Without traffic the framrates are higher at CDG with no traffic. This is really strange for such a small airport.

I have now tried even completely removing all traffic does nothing! Without traffic the framrates are higher at CDG with no traffic. This is really strange for such a small airport.

I just bought malta and I do not get any low frames, yes, I do notice A slower fps but nothing out of the ordinary.

My specs are:

AMD 4000

2 gb ram

2 78000GT's running on sli.

Perhaps aerosoft will release an update for the problem?

I have a Geforce 6800GT but only a 2.4 Ghz P4, 1.5 GB of RAM. What suprises me is that all other Simwings sceneries run great except this one. I am almost certain that there must be something wrong with the scenery, even tough I know my processor may not be the greatest.

You have a marginal processor; hence the lousy performance. I'm running it on an Athlon FX57, with everything set at max.

ricardo

• Aerosoft
Yes, you have quite an amazing computer. I really hope that they do release an update.

Yes, but an update for what? So far we have not had any other customer who reported the same, in fact, the opposite. We got a small internal tool that moves the viewpoint around and records framerates into a small database, nothing out of the ordinary there, even on my laptop it kept frames over 15 all over the database. Compared to other products I don't really see a problem here. Kepe in mind this is a whole nation in scenery, not just the airport, there is a whopping load of stuff loaded as you are on the airport. In that aspect it will be slower then other sim-wings products.

We seem to be facing a fairly isolated thing here, your hardware should be more then enough to run the product, but something seems to be hurting performance. In our experience this is normally something like replacement textures, settings in the FS9.cfg or things like that. The scenery is afterall designed for a standard FS9. Could you move your fs9.cfg our of the way and see if having FS create a new one fixes the problem? And can you double check if you have any other scenery covering the same region?

Mathijis, could you start from runway 32 and just see what your FPS is just at that point.

I am finding that the fps is very low there compared to the rest of the scenery. Around the island and the majority of the time I am getting around 20fps ..Frame rate is locked at 20 but at the beginning of runway 32 i am only getting about 11. This is the only place where its quite lower than normal. Taking off Ai traffic gave me an extra .2 of a frame so was still around 11 fps . It is very strange because when I actually slew around the airport, close to the buildings the frames are not dropping hardly at all, just seems to be at this location where its very sluggish.

Oh and my weather was just on the standard Fair Weather setting in FS2004.

Craig

• Aerosoft
Mathijis, could you start from runway 32 and just see what your FPS is just at that point.

I am finding that the fps is very low there compared to the rest of the scenery. Around the island and the majority of the time I am getting around 20fps ..Frame rate is locked at 20 but at the beginning of runway 32 i am only getting about 11. This is the only place where its quite lower than normal. Taking off Ai traffic gave me an extra .2 of a frame so was still around 11 fps . It is very strange because when I actually slew around the airport, close to the buildings the frames are not dropping hardly at all, just seems to be at this location where its very sluggish.

Craig

Hey Graig, I'm checking a few things and talking to Cornel as well. For the start of rwy 32 you have nearly all objects on the airport in view (so loaded), I keep having simular fps (indeed about the lowest around the airport, 19 on my system) when I slew in a circle around the airport from that location. But we are checking a few things. In the mean time it might be faster to check on http://forums.simflight.com/viewforum.php?f=112, the sim-wings support forum.

Yes, I have the same problem as well, the framerates are at the lowest the threshold, but when I get closer to the terminal and look around, the framerates are normal. Just from the threshold of the runway do I have that problem? Your trick with removing the fs9.cfg file also had no affect.

• Aerosoft
Yes, I have the same problem as well, the framerates are at the lowest the threshold, but when I get closer to the terminal and look around, the framerates are normal. Just from the threshold of the runway do I have that problem? Your trick with removing the fs9.cfg file also had no affect.

well, as I wrote, it would be normal as that is the view were most is loaded. But standby, I am checking a few things out with the developer.

Another thing to check is to make sure that Ground Scenery shadows are unticked as I had realised i had it ticked as I had been taking screenshots earlier and that made my fps go from 11 to 15 so I gained 4fps in that spot just by turning that option off.

KLM Sea Ams

Try having a look at that and see if you have the same thing ticked. If you do have a go unticking it and see if that helps and makes your approaches, landings and takeoffs abit smoother?

Craig

• Aerosoft
Another thing to check is to make sure that Ground Scenery shadows are unticked as I had realised i had it ticked as I had been taking screenshots earlier and that made my fps go from 11 to 15 so I gained 4fps in that spot just by turning that option off.

KLM Sea Ams

Try having a look at that and see if you have the same thing ticked. If you do have a go unticking it and see if that helps and makes your approaches, landings and takeoffs abit smoother?

Craig

yes, but again, that is just because there are so many objects loaded at that moment. That's FS. I am really looking at something wrong. Still looking.

But it really appears that only the main terminal is causing this problem. When I look at the city from a distance or from really close the framerates are great. The rest of the airport is great too, it is only the main terminal that causes low framerates. What I am wondering is, could it be little things like the moving crane?

Not sure how often you do this, but the other day I ran a fantastic defrag program called "Perfect Disk" from Raxco (no, I don't work for the company nor does anyone I know work for it). Anyway, it took 5 hrs to defrag a 60GB drive (of which 40GB is MSFS + add-ons) but well worth the wait as I essentially got a 70-90% increase of frame rates in MSFS. It really blew me away. Bummer that I've been using that piece of s#!t Windows defrag religiously once a week for the past 3 yrs and all for nothing. Anyway, I'd highly recommend it, who knows perhaps it may help the perf problem you're seeing with Malta too...

I had an icrease of 10 frames deleting (doing a beckup) the animated scenery like the cars. Try renaming this:

groundanimations.bgl in groundanimations.xxx

luqa_cars.bgl in luqa_cars.xxx

singleanimatedcars.bgl in singleanimatedcars.xxx

I prefer a fluid scenery than to see a car moving around the scenery!