How do I access TOPCAT through PFPX?

Hi there,

Ages ago I bought TOPCAT on disc a while ago and subsequently have recently purchased PFPX!

Whilst going through the planning phase, I can't seem to access the TOPCAT facility through PFPX... I can't see it at all.

And also how will/can I load the aircraft up through PFPX?

Many thanks!

Tristan

At the moment, they are not linked the way you are expecting.

Currently, after you compute or release a flight plan, somewhere on the top panel, you can click to send the data to Topcat.

For the feature to work, you must have the aircraft that you're using to plan a flight in pfpx, already be linked to Topcat.

To do this, when you add an aircraft to the pfpx database, there is a Topcat performance module section that you must edit. The window that opens will show the aircraft you have setup in Topcat.

Further, the registrations in both programs must be the same.

For example, if in pfpx, you are working with a B738 reg N12345, in Topcat you must have a B738 with the same registration for the send function to work.

I believe I saw a post where they are working on having the Topcat calculations included in pfpx. There is sort of a feature right now, but the data is based on max figures, not actual, for the aircraft.

Hope that wasn't too complicated.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No worries. Glad to help since it took me a while to figure it out myself.

Since I've been flying the 777, there isn't a need to use Topcat yet. But when flying the NGX, you have to follow a certain flow to get the results you're looking for.

I'll check back tomorrow to see if you need anything further.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Why shouldn't he implement this? It ought to be rather simple. My reason for using 2 computers (actually 4 computers in my setup) is, that PFPX is a planning tool, while Topcat is a more operative tool, needed to calculate actual V-speeds and a simmilar tool is used in the cockpit IRL, while the dispatcher's tool is not.

cheers

Torben

Install TopCat an PFPX on the same computer.

Problem solved.

Don't know why the developer should implement this, when you can install both on same system?!

Why shouldn't he implement this? It ought to be rather simple. My reason for using 2 computers (actually 4 computers in my setup) is, that PFPX is a planning tool, while Topcat is a more operative tool, needed to calculate actual V-speeds and a simmilar tool is used in the cockpit IRL, while the dispatcher's tool is not.

cheers

Torben

... so normally a TopCat-integration is nothing for you.

Because in real aviation there is no takeoff-calculation in OFP!

Youre argumenting with two thongs.

Office planning vs flightdeck calculating but an "acars" connection between both.

There are other problems to solve ...

You can enter the TOW only in TopCat and calculate the V-Speeds. One easy step! And, as real as it gets. PLN TOW is written inside OFP.

Yes, it would be like a "light" version of an "ACARS" connection. And yes, the need is not greater than I can live without. But then .. why would you like a TOPCAT integration? Because it (presuably) eases things. And I would for me as well. I assume that the TOPCAT integration using only one computer only requires PFPX to be aware of TOPCAT - which (I guess) is a question on accessing the registration database. It would be equally simple to write the path to the TOPCAT program on a second computer, just as you can for other programs via the PFPX. No need for hostility here - just a proposal.

Torben

... so normally a TopCat-integration is nothing for you.
Because in real aviation there is no takeoff-calculation in OFP!

Youre argumenting with two thongs.
Office planning vs flightdeck calculating but an "acars" connection between both.

There are other problems to solve ...

You can enter the TOW only in TopCat and calculate the V-Speeds. One easy step! And, as real as it gets. PLN TOW is written inside OFP.

Archived