ETP abcd/wxyz beyond Max Diversion Distance

I'm a beginner trying to plan ETOPS with PFPX. The flight that's causing me trouble is from Japan to New Zealand (RJGG to NZAA using the supplied AIRAC), and I'm using v1.04 of PFPX.

I have stipulated ETOPS 207 to give myself a fighting chance (what are the rules about that, anyway?) and I have put PGSN in ETP Airports 1: the circles on the map then intersect nicely to cover the whole route. But whether I put NVSS in ETP Airports 2 or in the same column as ETP Airports 1 I still get the error message "ETP PGSN/NZAA beyond Max Diversion Distance)". (The concluding bracket isn't a typo, it's there in the message).

Could someone please be so kind as to explain what the message is saying and how I can fix this?

With thanks,

Brian

That's very kind — thank you. :-) Unfortunately I had somehow lost my initial attempt and so had to start again. :rolleyes:

ATC ROUTE: N0498F330 ISE1 KEC A597 BUBDO DCT OX DCT OMLET B586 TOESS/N0492F350
B586 UNZ A597 KAKOP/N0487F370 A597 MINET/N0482F390 A597 DUGAN EXOP5A

But instead of the "ETP PGSN/NZAA beyond Max Diversion Distance)" message, this time I received three identical warnings "Critical fuel airport NVSS ignored".

ETOPS 207 was stipulated, with ETP airports 1, 2, and 3 set as RJGG, PTKK, and NVSS.

Overlapping circles do seem to cover the route, and all the buttons are green, but I am obviously still messing something up.

One other thing that I have just noticed: I stipulated NZCH as the Alternate, and in the "FP Distance" I have 419.9 nm in red (which I assume can't be good).

I just tried again using just PGSN and NVSS as ETP 1 and 2, but it still complains three times over about "Critical fuel airport NVSS ignored".

Many thanks indeed for taking a look, :)

Cheers,

Brian

Here is what i did, i took the route, built it and used a B772 with ETOPS 180, i put in RJGG PTKK and NVSS in ETP 1 2 and 3 fields. I was able to compute and release the flight with the only message being "added 5,729 lb fuel to meet ETOPS fuel requirements"

What aircraft type and navigation database were you using and were you getting weather info for all the airports you were using?

Brian,

If you're flying the 772LR, it has been certified up to 330 minuted ETOPS. You can check the wiki article on that. You would need to add the 330 minutes ETOPS in the 772 setup.

Andre

Thank you both, gentlemen, for your help and guidance.

I'm away from my computer this evening, but I'll try again first thing tomorrow.

@tcasclimb

Interesting that you were able to compute and release: thank you. Obviously I must have been doing something differently (i.e. wrongly). :huh: I wonder what.....?

> What aircraft type and navigation database were you using and were you getting weather info for all the airports you were using?

Uh.... My apologies that I can't remember the aircraft type exactly, but It was the nearest equivalent I could find to the imminent (allegedly) PMDG 777-200LR/F release. The navigation base was as released with PFPX (AIRAC 1302, I think?), and I vaguely recall checking a box somewhere for a weather-aware routing.

@Andre

Ah, that's great to know! I was unaware of that, so many thanks indeed. ^_^

More tomorrow morning,

Cheers,

Brian

Archived