Serious issue with AS 2012 winds in PFPX

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heading now is correct the only two things to correct are temperature and wind speed but i'm sure that Christian will be fix AS2012 wheater is not so simple to manage i suppose.

Thanks anyways for the work

I have only had opportunity to try one short haul domestic with 1.06, but it looked really good comparing navlog winds with FSX reported winds over ~1000 NM.

Aloft temps...not so good right now but we'll see.

To everyone participating in this discussion, I completely support this thread and have contributed my own information to try and help get these issues addressed, but I want to make sure it's understood, just comparing navlogs side by side and calling 30 degree wind direction variances a problem is not all that helpful in reality. 30 degrees is just fine, and because neither AS or PFPX use identical interpolation methods, it will never be a perfect match. Before 1.06, I saw 180 degree variances using the same weather data between 2 different planners, which is obviously NOT fine.

I ran a number of long haul (~6000 NM) comparison builds using static wx data between PFPX and FSBuild as well as the actual route I flew today, and all reported aloft winds were relatively close, but more importantly, the reported wind components (entire route) were within a few knots difference at most, which is excellent.

If you really want to help, take a few flights and actually monitor what is reported in FSX and then compare to the OFP. Temps still look to be an issue, but I really do think we are close to a reasonable solution.

In my experience using wheater from PFPX for fuel calculation during route setup and AS2012 wheater for flight is the best solution. The PFPX wheater data and the results into fsx running AS2012 are very similar so not a big problem i think that there's only a 5 % margin of error with this solution. I've tried this in regional flight and tonight in a long flight with good results.

In my experience using wheater from PFPX for fuel calculation during route setup and AS2012 wheater for flight is the best solution.

It may be the best solution for you, and that is entirely your choice, but this thread is about fixing the issues between AS and PFPX, in which case your method is not helpful in any way.

I am glad you have had good results that way, but in testing PFPX/AS together, data from the same source is an absolute requirement, preferably static, but, that's not nearly as important.

It may be the best solution for you, and that is entirely your choice, but this thread is about fixing the issues between AS and PFPX, in which case your method is not helpful in any way.

I am glad you have had good results that way, but in testing PFPX/AS together, data from the same source is an absolute requirement, preferably static, but, that's not nearly as important.

I'm with you i want PFPX/AS togheter working, is only a suggestion while we are waiting for a solution. :D

Hi,

I updated to 1.06. Wind forecast definately improved, but is still off. I noticed differences in heading up to 30-35 degrees which is not soo bad, but temp difference of 20 - 25 degrees and Windspeed of 40 kn is still think is too much......

@Christian,

Maybe there is a way to export the route directly into AS2012 - compute in AS2012 - and then import the AS2012 winds forecast for the final compute in PFPX......? FSFK directly reads from AS2012 route forecast not the current_wx_snapshot.txt..... so technically it should be possible. With this you would use AS2012's interpolation and Aloft Winds/Heading/Temp should only vary a little from the flightlevels in between.

For the rest of the windsforecast - map... you could still use the current_wx_snapshot.txt

regards

Richard

Maybe there is a way to export the route directly into AS2012 - compute in AS2012 - and then import the AS2012 winds forecast for the final compute in PFPX......? FSFK directly reads from AS2012 route forecast not the current_wx_snapshot.txt..... so technically it should be possible. With this you would use AS2012's interpolation and Aloft Winds/Heading/Temp should only vary a little from the flightlevels in between.

That would be exellent solution.

Raimo, on 12 Sept 2013 - 16:07, said:

That would be exellent solution.

Yes!

to be honest, I do care more for the weather I find in FSX as I find in real world.

Would be nice, both will match exactly together, but "reality" is, that we have FSX weather. Despite where the weather source comes from, PFPX should match FSX weather.

If I use a weather engine which does not build up real weather probably for 100%, then doesn't make sense to me, to calculate my flight with real weather.

Please consider that ...

Yes!

to be honest, I do care more for the weather I find in FSX as I find in real world.

Would be nice, both will match exactly together, but "reality" is, that we have FSX weather. Despite where the weather source comes from, PFPX should match FSX weather.

If I use a weather engine which does not build up real weather probably for 100%, then doesn't make sense to me, to calculate my flight with real weather.

Please consider that ...

And one still retains the possibility to calculate real weather through PFPX weather download.......

@Christian, whats your oppinion to this solution?

Hello,

I run PFPX new 1.6 version with AS2012. Winds aloft direction is pretty close, but velocity and OAT are very different (293/045 and -20°C in the OFP, 289/073 and -33°C in FSX). That gives a wrong TAS in the OFP, wrong flight time predicted on the OFP, wrong fuel consumption.

I sugest PFPX team to work again on the AS/PFPX interpolation.

Regards

I have only had opportunity to try one short haul domestic with 1.06, but it looked really good comparing navlog winds with FSX reported winds over ~1000 NM.

Aloft temps...not so good right now but we'll see.

To everyone participating in this discussion, I completely support this thread and have contributed my own information to try and help get these issues addressed, but I want to make sure it's understood, just comparing navlogs side by side and calling 30 degree wind direction variances a problem is not all that helpful in reality. 30 degrees is just fine, and because neither AS or PFPX use identical interpolation methods, it will never be a perfect match. Before 1.06, I saw 180 degree variances using the same weather data between 2 different planners, which is obviously NOT fine.

I ran a number of long haul (~6000 NM) comparison builds using static wx data between PFPX and FSBuild as well as the actual route I flew today, and all reported aloft winds were relatively close, but more importantly, the reported wind components (entire route) were within a few knots difference at most, which is excellent.

If you really want to help, take a few flights and actually monitor what is reported in FSX and then compare to the OFP. Temps still look to be an issue, but I really do think we are close to a reasonable solution.

Today I fly VTBS-EKCH (AS2012 and PFPX V1.06). After 8 hours of flight I already have 14 minutes of delay and -1,3 tons of fuel due tu bad PFPX OFP winds aloft. 1.06 is better for sure, but not accurate enough for realistic long haul flights.

Thanks you for getting back at us. Had a feeling it had something to do with regional settings.

For now, those who would like to test can set their regional settings to United States, run AS 2012 so it will build current_wx_sanpshot with new settings and see if that corrects the issue.

Hi,

Where in current_wx_snapshot or wx_station_list do you find thousand separator ?

I thought PFPX is taking his winds aloft info from the above files, if I look into it, a line looks like ;

$100::*::*::195,003,12.2/266,005,09.4/278,013,11.8/287,026,02.7/279,038,-10.4/269,064,-20.4/264,067,-36.2/266,082,-46.2/275,089,-57.9

on this line, a "," separator is used to split the windDir/Speed/Temp data.

I don't think AS2012 uses a different protocol depending on your local settings.

Regards,

Winglet

I just made a quick test with a route across the pond from Frankfurt to Toronto.

Waypoint GAVKO at FL380

AS2012: 318/80 -45,3

PFPX: 321/85 -45

Waypoint RONPO at FL400

AS2012: 253/42 -56,2

PFPX: 250/46 -56

Thats close enough for me :)

Finn

Well, I'm very happy to find out that (v1.07) wind aloft temps, heading and speed are almost as what is depicted on AS 2012's interface (planned flight).

Thanks a lot for your work flightsimsoft !!!!!!

Very happy customer here.

Regards

Sergio

Archived