Intel to AMD? Whats your opinion?

I'm thinking about upgrading my Desktop CPU from a Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @3.4 Ghz to a AMD FD8350FRHKBOX FX-8350 Eight-Core 4GHz AM3+ Processor - AM3+, Eight-Core, 4GHz, 16MB, 125W, Unlocked. First of all, since I am not too experienced with hardware, I was wondering, if you can even do his swap. The i7-2600 is my computers stock CPU and is not overclocked, is it possible to go from Intel to AMD, or is one computer specifically designed to work with one brand. Second, I was wondering if this swap is recommended and if it is better to just overclock my intel instead of trying to buy a whole new CPU. I am looking for the cheapest way possible to speed up my FSX, and had to know if it is just better to overclock my current CPU, or buy a new one. If it helps, here are my computer specs: http://support.gateway.com/s/desktop/2011/gateway/fx/fx6860/FX6860sp2.shtml. Please note that I have upgraded my RAM from 8 to 16, but other than that the computer is stock.

Regards,

John

• Deputy Sheriffs

I'm not really a fan of AMD. My experience is that FSX runs better on intel and nvidia rather than AMD.

If the swap is possible I would not know, not that of an expert.

What I would do, and this is my opinion, I would buy an intel CPU which has the K in it so that overclocking becomes easier.

Keep in mind that overclocking is something that isn't just CPU related, other components need to be good enough to handle it as well.

You will need to buy a new motherboard to do the swap. And you already have a pretty good CPU. Generally FSX performs better on Intel chips. Like JerdooFlightX said, Intel K chips are great for overclocking.

To my knowledge AMD is best when it comes to the power for a special amount of money, but INTEL is better when only the power counts.

According to CPU boss the AMD FX8350 scores better with programs that can use all 8 cores, but programs that cannot, e.g. with the FSX the i7 2600K seems to score better:

--> http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600K-vs-AMD-FX-8350

That's why in my opinion INTEL and FSX belongs together. I think you would buy a downgrade...

regards,

Joerg

Alright, I understand, crossing out a new CPU as an option as I see it, I do not need one. But now one question remains, with my computer specifications, what type of overclocking do you think I can do. Does anyone recommend overclock of 4 ghz? As I need a faster FSX, and since I will stick with my current CPU, I at least need to overclock.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Alright, I understand, crossing out a new CPU as an option as I see it, I do not need one. But now one question remains, with my computer specifications, what type of overclocking do you think I can do. Does anyone recommend overclock of 4 ghz? As I need a faster FSX, and since I will stick with my current CPU, I at least need to overclock.

Overclocking the CPU you have to 4Ghz might be rather hard as the CPU does not have the K in it.

If you had a 2600K overclocking would be easier. The 2600 isn't easy to overclock to that speed I think.

Oh sorry, that's for the 2600 without a "k": http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-2600-vs-AMD-FX-8350

Result: "No winner declared - Too close to call"

You guys probably did already, just pro forma... ^_^

As the single core performance is still faster, my opinion doesn't change.

regards,

Joerg

EDIT:

NOW THAT'S WIRED: When I wrote my posting some hours ago the score of the 2600 was 8.4 - CpuBoss-website says no winner...

Now some hours later the 2600 got a 8.5 declaring the 2600 cpu as winner???

(I whished to have done a screenshoot to proof it!) :beatcomputer_s:

I see then maybe, I will upgrade to a Intel, i7 3770k. But with this, do I still need to change my motherboard like I do with AMD? And what would be the fastest speed the i7-3770k could overclock to with the fan included with its package, along with my current specs.

I agree with most comments, but I have not seen experiences with that many cores in FSX and it just might work great. It's a good CPU.

Well if Mathijs says it, it must be true :) (don't worry, I still do trust the opinion of everyone else on the forum too).

Looks like I'll be ordering the i7 3770k soon, I'll have it installed at my local computer hardware store (I need a pro to do it, I don't trust myself with computer hardware :)). I'll overclock it to about 4.0 ghz(that's what most people overclock to as I see, or maybe 4.3-4.4 ghz).

Thanks for all your help and opinions,

Regards,

John

A word of caution. You wont be able to reach "4.3 or 4.4ghz" with the stock cooler. The stock cooler is made for the stock speeds and nothing higher. I recommend the Xigmatek Dark Knight II cpu cooler. You'll be able to get to 4.5ghz easy! Just trying to save some tears! :)

A word of caution. You wont be able to reach "4.3 or 4.4ghz" with the stock cooler. The stock cooler is made for the stock speeds and nothing higher. I recommend the Xigmatek Dark Knight II cpu cooler. You'll be able to get to 4.5ghz easy! Just trying to save some tears! :)

About how much would this cooler cost? :) (the deadly question)

Alright everyone, big news, just found my COMPLETE system specs in my computer, here they are

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601OS

Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Gateway

System Model FX6860
System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P01-A3, 4/19/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.6Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB

Available Physical Memory 13.2 GB
Total Virtual Memory 32.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 29.0 GBPage File Space 16.0 GB

So, the ultimate question, do these all support the Intel I7-3770k Processor(and the cooler that Virgin America Captain recommended)? Do I have to change anything? Is this all good for the 3770k and the Xigmatek Dark Knight II cpu cooler?

I know I ask a lot of questions, but I like to be sure :).

The cooler costs $50 but provides cooling performance nearly equal to the $100 corsair h100 water cooler.

Alright, great, thanks for the tip :), you probably saved me a few tears from if my CPU were to burn out :)

Archived