Advanced Route Finder - Route Optimisations

Hi

Enjoying using PFPX, great product, however I wonder if somebody could explain in more detail the "Route Optimsations" features as the manual doesn't really give any detail at all.

PFPXRO_zpsc7c7e565.jpg

What does Cruise Altitude/FL restrictions mean/do?

The Cruise Altitude/FL and Average TAS fields, what are they for? Where are the pre populated values coming from?

• Upper/Lower airspace/Auto - should be self-explanatory
  • Ignore Tracks - do not use NAT/PAC/AUS Tracks, but build a 'random' route via lat/lon waypoints
  • Ignore Airway directions - some airways are uni-directional. Use this function to ignore these restrictions
  • Ignore Sub-Routes - You can create 'Sub-Routes' (E.g. Routes from an Airport to oceanic entry or between to navaids) and save them as route

These routes will be considered by the route finder, unless you 'Ignore' them

• Non-RNAV - Most airways nowadays require RNAV (Area Navigation, e.g. GPS, IRS) Equipment to fly on them. If your aircraft isn't RNAV equipped, check this box

• Cruise Altitude/FL restrictions - select a Flight Level/Altitude you want to find a route for (Some airways havea minimum/maximum altitude restrictions)
  • Wind optimized route - optimize the route for prevailing wind conditions (Also requires True AirSpeed/ TAS)
  • Avoid ... - Avoid certain airways, waypoints, FIRs, UIRs, etc...

Thanks for that.

So, how do I know what altitude to enter in the Cruise Altitude/FL and TAS speed windows? It seems to default to FL370 and 450 (when using the 737-800 profile anyway). I want to travel at the most optimal altitude but at this point of the planning I do not know what this.

Thanks

My guess is you pick the FL that you want and PFPX will optimize your route based on the winds at that level.

I've checked a few sources and I'm seeing the B738 TAS range anywhere from 447 to 454, so 450 is quite appropriate.

Rob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My guess is you pick the FL that you want and PFPX will optimize your route based on the winds at that level.

I've checked a few sources and I'm seeing the B738 TAS range anywhere from 447 to 454, so 450 is quite appropriate.

Rob

I suppose. I guess what Im thinking is, PFPX should choose optimal flight levels if told to do so (choosing OPT in the "aircraft" section). However, how am I to know what FL this is when I come to build the route? I don't know which FL to choose as PFPX has yet to tell me what FL it will use.

Don't quote me on this because I'm not too sure.

How many times have you tried? Is it always FL370 that comes up?

I ask because I was looking into a different issue earlier and I planned about 6 or 7 flights, but with an A320. I always use the advance route finder and the FL has varied for me. I think it may have to do with the payload weight of the plane. In the payload section, which comes before the route section, try to vary your weight; say like max passengers and cargo, then another time with much less values and see if the FL that comes up with each scenario is different.

Rob

Archived