Lukla scenery compatibility

martinlest

Hi. Before I buy the new Lukla scenery, does anyone know if it will sit OK

with FSGenesis latest Himalayas mesh and, moreover, with the new Mt. Everest scenery (freeware - part of Holger Sandmann's fs_him_02.zip on AVSIM)?

Also, I have some great Nepal scenery installed (nepal_fs9_v2.zip) which needs it's own mesh (nepal_fs9.zip) to work - both files again on AVSIM. As this Nepal scenery overlaps with the Lukla scenery at a couple of airports I am a bit worried about the end result. Any ideas?

Perhaps I can set things up satisfactorily by correct ordering of the sceneries in the FS9 file library???

Martin

Hi Martin.

As one of the beta test team, I tested Lukla with the FSGenesis mesh installed and it works very well. If you are using Holger's himalaya mesh as well or in place of the FSGenesis mesh then you will need to set your TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL at 19 as the runways at Phaplu and Syngboche will be too bumpy to land in one piece.

With regards to Holger's phototextures, Holger's covers a larger area but with much less resolution than the one provided with Lukla.

If you want advice, then I would recommend installing Lukla and disabling Holger's phototextures to take full advantage of this scenery. You shouldn't be disappointed and this has been a great product to test in a beautiful part of the world.

Happy landings!

:D:D:D

Hi Martin,

next betatester answering. :wink: I tried the Nepal Airports V2, but without the recommended mesh. You need to delete all files with "Lukla*", "Syngboche*" and "Phaplu*" in the filenames in the Nepal Airports scenery folder. Then the this scenery will work with Lukla & Everest.

I used the FSGenesis Mesh too, and it made no problems.

Thanks again for the replies.

I spent quite a long time getting the Nepal scenery, the Nepal mesh, Holger's scenery and the FS9 mesh to gel together, so was a bit worried about the Lukla software - a fifth, and one item too many?? Sounds like it should be OK though, so after your encouraging words I'll go over and order it now.

I'll post back in this thread though if I encounter real difficulties!

Martin :-)

Oh, one thing I didn't quite get Hartley. You say that if I am using Holger's mesh instead of the FSG mesh I need to set my TMVL to 19. In fact I haven't installed Holger's mesh and stick with the FSG files. Does that mean I can leave my TMVL at 21, where I always have it?

You may or may not have seen the thread at FS Genesis regarding Holger's v. Justin's FSG Himalayan mesh. (Not that the two are exactly rivals!). Seems that, although in theory Holger's is 38m and the FSG 76m, because of the resolution of the original data (if memory serves me correctly), there will be no visible advantage in using the LOD11 files, as Holger admits - and they take up double the disc space of course... I just use the texture and relevant scenery blgs from zip2, containing the Everest scenery. Look forward to seeing how Aerosoft compares!

So, (to sum up!), =21 is OK??

M.

Martin,

you will need TMVL 19! TMVL 20 works at Lukla, but neither at Syngboche, nor at Phaplu. I have not testet TMVL 21, due to other problems I will have with this setting (shadows etc.) in FS2004 then.

I use the FSGenesis Mesh too and it looks stunning in this area.

Well, it's all up and running and looks good - especially Everest. Uninstalled poor Holger's files (only had them a week before I saw the Lukla software!) and the scenery & terrain seem to mesh (sorry, no pun intended) really well. Not had a chance to fly too much in just an hour of course, but so far so good.

I've made one compromise (I'm afraid!!): I decided I like the Nepal v2 scenery at Syangboche and Phaplu so have disabled the two tiny Aerosoft bgl files for those airstrips instead. I get to keep my =21 setting (which I have for my LOD11 mesh - though I know FS9 doesn't really display this properly) and I also get to keep the Nepal scenery file for those two airports - which have quite a few of my own tweaks in them and so I'd be sad to lose my hours of work. (I worked in Kathmandu once upon a time, so know some of this area - one of the greatest experiences in my life was flying around a number of these airstrips in a helicopter back in 2001).

But that's just detail: the main thing is that at last I have a Lukla airport in my sim setup that I recognise; and Everest looks wonderful too. Must look for Base Camp tomorrow - I remember walking there from Lukla in 2001: almost killed me. Far easier to do it in FS9!!!

As I say, I'll post back if I encounter any problems, but it looks good so far ... Thanks again for the support,

Martin