Scenery grass textures

martinlest

At first sight of the new Lukla scenery I went straight for my credit card: it's an airport I have visited in the real world in the past and I was almost ready to delve deeper into scenery construction techniques in order to make my own version of it, based on my memory of how the airstrip is laid out - especially at the back, where there is certainly not a huge wall of sheer rock, as in the default. (Mesh problem).

However, and I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but I've put my card back in my wallet for now, having seen the screenshots. Why, when so much effort has gone into making all the rest of the scenery, are we given (IMHO) such awful grass textures? The screenshots show nice sharp planes and buildings (at ground level) - and the vaguest blurred wash of greens to represent the grass. Am I the only one who is hugely disappointed by this? It hardly looks real when you get to flying, and really detracts from the rest of the scenery. My default FS9 grass texture is a hundred times sharper than that presented in the Lukla scenery. (Maybe I could somehow replace it if I bought the Lukla scenery?).

Thanks!

Martin

Well, the grass shows the underlying photo texture. The developers are probably somewhat limited here. But I see your point ... they might have added some more "3-d" grass in addition to the rocks (great idea btw.), or modelled the grass part in gmax.

However, you can always argue that this or that could be improved - but at some point, you just have to finish your project.

Yes, I take your point (as you seem to take mine!). Maybe this worries me more than it does others, but one of the reasons I have not bought software like Heathrow Pro, Gatwick Pro (to name but two I would have loved) is the ludicrous looking grass (IMHO !!). My default FS9 grass looks way better. (I think I'm repeating myself).

Well Lukla has great memories for me so I may go for it anyway. What I would really like to know is how to change the grass textures myself - I never seem to be able to find the right bmps!

M.. :-)

Hi Martin,

I don´t want to anticipate the designer of the scenery, but GMax sets limits within the object design of Lukla and the way FS handles such sceneries. If you will add more 3d objects you will get problems on the other hand. We got these problems during beta just minutes before the innitially planned release.

Lukla pushes the limits of FS scenery design nearly to the maximum FS can handle. The designers HAVE to make compromises, to get it running in FS2004.

Give this scenery a try, it´s worth it. :wink:

they might have added some more "3-d" grass in addition to the rocks (great idea btw.), or modelled the grass part in gmax.

If you have a closer look at the screenshots you can see that this has been done.

But anyway: You can try to sharpen the BMPs yourself if you like. The file names are:

Aerial01.bmp

Aerial02.bmp

Aerial03.bmp

Aerial04.bmp

Aerial05.bmp

We didn't do that because a higher sharpness of those Gmax textures would mean a very high impact on the frame rates and performance.

Sascha

Thanks for the replies. I will buy the Lukla scenery (after one other question cleared up -separate post) and try to do with the grass what I can. If I can't do much, then I'll just look up at the mountains as much as possible instead!

M.