New Installation - verify files to install?

vonmar

Hello.

I did the product purchase and download yesterday 8/23/13.

See screenshot of my order downloads.

I downloaded and installed AS_TWIN-OTTERX-EXTENDED_FSX_P3D_V104.EXE

I noticed on my download page there as a 443MB v104 Update file.
I downloaded it but have not installed it yet.

I wanted to verify it needs to be installed?
The reason I ask is because the forum mentions : 1.04 Release version: - Floater model added
And I have the Floater installed as part of the AS_TWIN-OTTERX-EXTENDED_FSX_P3D_V104.EXE.

So, I seen forum comments on "release version" but not on the 443MB Update.

Also, I noticed on the forum there is a Hot Fix 002?
Was this already included in either of the two files above / do I need it ?

post-12061-0-76533400-1377348879_thumb.j

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Vaughan, the update file is only for those not wanting to download the complete new installer (e.g. due to low bandwith).

Hotfixes always need to be installed on top. They have no installer, yousimply have to copy some files to the correct place, overwriting older ones.

If you have problems installing a hotfix feel free to ask.

Ok Otto,

Thanks for the confirmation.

I will get the "hot fix" from the forum and install it today.

One question on the bandwidth.

The 1GB product download took me (my IP, Comcast) 2 hours (I think it was about 9MB/minute) to download ... is that about right for downloads from your USA download mirror sites?

In the past, I thought my download from e.g. Flight One (their wrapper service/products) went much faster.

Impossible question to answer - your download speed depends on many factors neither in their control nor view.

I note you are asking something that I actually answered you about in the pre-purchase topic - both update and full installer sit side-by-side in the users menu and you simply choose which you prefer. As I said previously, if you have a fast enough connection it is usually better to just download the single file precisely to avoid the confusion you've still gotten into...

People just ordering / downloading... as I understand it ... need and should only have one file to download and install .. the 1GB full up to date version.

I simply do not understand why I would ever have a need for the second file .. the 500 MB Update file that was in my order / download page.

Or, in case of multiple files an installation readme inside the ZIP download would be helpful.

Thanks for your follow up.

Rubbish:

YOU are solely responsible for anything and everything you allow into your system,

If you do not understand what you are downloading, wise up or feck off. You've done all this research, and learned nothing?.

Your problem, not ours. There comes a point were we have to highlight your incompetence. You weren't even aware of the difference between a Beaver and an Otter... much less a Twin Otter,

The normal way here is that there will be a full version of the latest build available in Your order history.

Additionally we often also make updates available for those who don´t want to re-install, but rather like to update their existing install.

Hotfixes are normally fixes that won´t come with an installer, but have to be installed manually. If You don´t feel confident copying files and folders, then better wait until a new full version or an updates becomes available.

Finn

Archived