Release: Lukla - Mount Everest

• Aerosoft

Lukla airport owes its existence to the fact it is located close to Mount Everest and that most climbers use it as the first station in the attempt to scale this massive mountain. During the climbing season, October/November, the small aircraft (mostly Twin Otters) have to be off the airport in 15 minutes because there are only 4 parking spaces and there are probably other Twin Otters circling to land. It can really be a very, very busy airport. It is also the highest airport with scheduled airline flights in the word. Combine this with the fact the airport is of course closed a lot due to weather and you will understand why it can be as busy as it is.

Flying into Lukla is dangerous and complex in perfect weather, most of our beta testers underestimated it and the hill side was soon covered in burning wrecks. They soon learned that anything you do at this altitude needs to be planned and considered. Landing on the runway that goes uphill means you have to flare in a completely different way. Taking off from the very short runway with an engine that probably delivers a lot less power then you would hope for, is only possible because the runway ends with a 3000 feet drop into the valley below (check out the waterfalls there!). Even the simple taxi to the very small platform is complex and not without danger as there is a steep bit of taxiway to climb onto. To be short, you will probably be frustrated and annoyed when you start using this airport. However when you know how to use it you will be a far better pilot and there will be a new region to discover.

Lukla - Airport at the top of the world features;

o Lukla airfield with its spectacular very short, very sloping runway, at 9000 plus altitude.

o High definition mesh for the entire area.

o Based on commercially available satellite image (expensive stuff, believe us).

o Lukla village in great detail.

o Nearly all villages in the area at their exact location with every single house based on official Nepalese maps. Nepalese style and not standard autogen of course.

o High resolution mesh terrain and texture resolution of Mt. Everest Mountain provided by no other commercial addon

o Mount Everest base camp (helicopter destination) and other camps higher on the mountain.

o Two additional strips nearby; Phaplu and Syngboche (even higher than Lukla at 12286ft!)

o Some of the villages have typical Nepalese stupas (shrines) and the famous Tengboche Monastery is included.

o Not a single road in the scenery!

o Two missions dangerous enough to get you killed.

o Manually placed landclass, plus all rivers and lakes.

o Extensive manual, with chapters on high altitude operations (available in French very soon as well).

Online Price €17.20 / $21 (plus vat for EEC customers)

Product page: http://aerosoft-shop.com/product_info.php?products_id=121

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question: (you'll probably laugh or want to shoot me for asking) is the scenery compatible in any way with AI? Is anyone aware of any flightplans for carriers that serve Lukla (e.g. Gorkha Air)? I presume the AI would have some serious trouble with the sloping runway, no?

Question: (you'll probably laugh or want to shoot me for asking) is the scenery compatible in any way with AI? Is anyone aware of any flightplans for carriers that serve Lukla (e.g. Gorkha Air)? I presume the AI would have some serious trouble with the sloping runway, no?

No it isn´t! FS can´t handle AI on sloped runways.

But you will never miss AI on approaches to Lukla, the workload in YOUR cockpit is high enough. :lol:

Hi guys, here's an example of a flight I took around Lukla and Everest in the excellent Nemeth MIL :D

Click on the picture for the rest of the screenshots :D

tolukla_01.jpg

EDIT: Sorry I've exceeded my bandwidth for the first time since starting my website!

2nd EDIT: Website back up again, my website package has been upgraded to deal with the traffic!!

Hi. I flew into Lukla for real a few years back (by helicopter - the runway wasn't quite finished at that stage!) and the biggest difference between the real airport and the one in FS9, is that the runway does not meet a sheer wall of rock at the back end - there are sort of terraces that you climb, past shops and the like (selling Mars Bars & Coke!!), the paths then leading fairly gently into the mountains.

Can anyone say what happens in this new scenery? Is there still that wall of sheer rock with the new mesh?

Thanks,

Martin

Hi guys, here's an example of a flight I took around Lukla and Everest in the excellent Nemeth MIL :D

Click on the picture for the rest of the screenshots :D

Fantastic shots as usual Nick!!

Can anyone say what happens in this new scenery? Is there still that wall of sheer rock with the new mesh?

Hi Martin,

there´s no sheer wall anymore. :wink:

Lukla_Apron_001.jpg

Lukla_Apron_002.jpg

Lukla_Apron_003.jpg

any good freeware planes for this Airport?

Have a search for AS350 or MI-8 at AVSIM.com for some great choppers.

Sascha

any good freeware planes for this Airport?

I can't wait to buy Lukla, I can buy it in 30 minutes once my mom gets home.

I'am so exsited. :) :) :)

The Maule is pretty easy to get in and out of Lukla.

How is the landing on that sloped runway?

Like I said in another thread there are some scenerys that take off is good but landing is impossible as the aircraft tends to sink on the runway at any given speed...

• Aerosoft
How is the landing on that sloped runway?

Like I said in another thread there are some scenerys that take off is good but landing is impossible as the aircraft tends to sink on the runway at any given speed...

You might see a wheel dip into the ground once in a while, but overall it is a very very minor problem the way we handled it. We are at the edge of what FS can do however.

Wow...

...many thanks for this outstanding package. One of the first flights was a MI17 mission to find the crash site of the missing MI. Finally found them but took some time to get up there and even longer to find the crash site...

mi_rescue.jpg

Thorsten

• Aerosoft
Wow...

...many thanks for this outstanding package. One of the first flights was a MI17 mission to find the crash site of the missing MI. Finally found them but took some time to get up there and even longer to find the crash site...

Thorsten

Did you manage to get airborn again? In our experience that is the real bugger with choppers at these altitudes. Some choppers will do it but only after sliding forwards a bit.

Hi Mathijs,

using the Nemeth Mi17 I had no problems getting airborne again. Without moving forward. The only other one I tested with landing and starting at the crash site was the Moore 412. Possible but not much fun ;-) I think I will stay with the Mi, it's one of the places where it really fits into...

Thorsten

Yes, the MI will take off just fine but watch yourself. An attempted hover at this altitude can sometimes result in a fairly unexpected descent.