Too much roll, not that much yaw...

jcomm

Sometimes this excellent Robin reminds me, nonetheless, of the famous torque bug that plagues X-Plane prop aircraft - it has a lot of roll due to engine torque, that can in fact be countered using rudder ( right rudder ) and the ball also asks for it, but, honestly and from my experience flying in the real thing:

1) There is no perceptible roll due to torque, unless you simply do not correct for the pronnounced yaw at high power settings and AoA, and

2) there is a much more obvious yaw to the left, requiring persistent right foot work...

For the time being I tried to correct this by editing the aircrfaft CFG and setting 0.6 for the torque on roll coeficient, and 1.5 for the p-factor on yaw ( since in FSX that's the only way we can somehow reproduce the yawing tendencies, there being no specific asymmetric slipstream calculaitions... )

I suggest that future updates to the aircraft allow for less roll due to torque and a more pronnounced yaw on high power cimbs...

Hello,

our DR400 was programmed exactly the way the real D-EVEM aircraft flies. The real D-EVEM has exactly the fligth characteristics you see in our aircraft.

Such characteristics can often be seen if club aircraft and are considered to be quite normal for them.

However for those customers not liking them we did release a patch to remove the strong yaw moment just a few days after the release of the product. You can download it in our FAQ's/Updates database.

Emi,

the strong yaw is PERFECT! As a matter of fact I find it less than it should! Only problem is that there is also pronnounced roll, and that's not correct, I believe...

The non-corrected yaw creates yaw-induced roll, of course, but the case here is that the aircraft rolls too much to the left at high power settings...

Hi jcomm,

The plane set up of the D-EVEM represents the original D-EVEM flight characteristics of last year and before. We made many videos, measurements, checklists and so on to get the flight model as close as possible to the real thing. The behaiviour you describe was one of the major point of the developement. You can be sure, that this represents the original feeling exactly.

The current D-EVEM (after an engine change and redoing some parts) does NOT suffer from these effects. (or very very less). This means, it flies straight. You don't need a constant pressure in the right pedal anymore. Laying your foot on the pedal is enough. Even flying completely without feet it possible now.

You see: Even one single plane can be VERY different. How different are two planes?

Based on my experience I belive you that the one you fly is even more "special" than ours was, but please understand that we can not deliver specific flight models for every customer.

Bests, Joachim

Thx for the reply Joachim!

Anyway, the yaw due to prop effects feels just ok in this model. My problem is the tendency to roll to the left, requiring use of aileron. I believe only yaw should be felt, before the modification you mention which probably included a rudder trim tab (?)

Well, ours flies straight now without a tab. I didn't belive before I flew it myself first time after the engine change, but it's true. The aileron thing has gone as well. But it was very present before. (There was a trim under the aileron before, that probably caused this) Nevertheless, this model was the reference.

Bests, Joachim

Archived