autopilot

spectre

Hello,

I have a question regarding the autopilot.

When I start a flight, I load a flightplan.

I then hit both the nav and ias buttons on the autopilot

after taking off, i engage the autopilot

it will capture the flightplan and follow it, however, it will not capture the dialed-in altitude, requiring me to hit the alt button

the manual states that it will capture.

am i missing something or is there a bug

Richard

To capture a certain altitude, let´s say 5000 ft, dial 5000 into the altitude alerter.

Don´t select NAV and IAS before take off. Use Hdg (set to RWY heading) and no other modes.

Take off at get established in a steady climb at the speed You want to hold during climb out - let´s say 110 kts. You must trim the aircraft to fly an attitude that will settle the speed at 110 kts with a fixed power setting.

Press the ALT ALRT button just above the artificial horizon.

Now engage IAS mode and turn on the autopilot. The aircraft will now keep the airspeed present when the IAS button was pressed. The Autopilot does this by increasing pitch to slow down or decreasing pitch to speed up. Changing power setting will determine how fast You will climb or descend.

With ALT ALRT acive the aircraft will automatically enter ALT mode when reaching 4700 ft and then capture 5000 ft and keep that altitude. When descending it will ebter ALT mode at 5300 ft and then capture 5000 ft.

Pressing the ALT button will simply tell the autopilot to keep the altitude present when the ALT button was pressed.

Before engaging NAV You must either have captured the the right radial / flightplan leg, or be on an intercept heading to do so.

Inorder to follow a GPS flightplan, press the CDI button on the GPS to indicate GPS, otherwise it will follow the radial for a VOR station set with the course knob on the HSI.

Finn

Thanks, Finn.

I printed out your guide on how to properly reach Altitude and I will keep it handy on my desk until I master it and can do it automatically.

And thanks Richard for asking the question. I had the same problem.

Bill S.

Archived