Power handling on the ground

DavidNicholas

Hi. Taxying the TO: Props full forward, 15% power, gets the plane moving, but soon this tails off and the plane stops. After that, it takes near full power to get it moving, then it starts to move too fast! Backing off the throttle makes the plane stop very quickly, then I have to start all over again. Basically, I have to 'bunny-hop' between 0 and 100% power all the time, just to move. Have had a couple of ground accidents due to not moving and then moving too fast suddenly! Any hints on this from anyone?

You have to give the aircraft enough power to get it moving and then throttle back to keep it going slowly. Do no throttle back to Idle. It is a bit tricky taxiing but eventually you will get the hang of it.

Try lsowly to increase power and watch the Torque gauges. Note when it slowly starts to roll.

Once it starts to roll, reduce power, but not necessariy to idle, since You probably will need to have a small amount of forward trust to keep going.

If You come to a stop rather quick when reducing power, then I would say that something is activating Your brakes.

If You use Accufeel, then try to turn it of for a test.

Finn

I have sort of the same issue, sometimes I need 40-45% trq to start rolling, but no issue on stopping. And I do not use Accufeel. Seems it's no difference on paved and unpaved surface, but it seems headwind and tailwind have a huge difference on how much torque you need to start moving.

Thanks to you all for the replies. I don't have Accu-Feel. The Beta-range lights aren't coming on at all, so it's not a throttle issue in that sense. Maybe it's just a very realistic interpretation of turboprop handling that I have to get used to! I think this simulation is one of the very best I've come across in quite a few years' simming and especially because I do love bush flying more than 'heavy iron' and have been a passenger in real-world Twin Otters many times in Africa - where the plane really shines. As a non-pilot but many-time passenger, the look and feel of this sim really rings true.

Hi everybody, I don.t realy get troubles to taxy this wonderful plane but I feel that she deosn't manage the beta range correctly. Is there any possibilty to set the power throttle to avoid it comes straight from idle to reverse without the ability to stay in beta range ? May be with FSUIPC ?

Yes it is possible.

In aircraft.cfg, I've replaced minimum_on_ground_beta = 0.0 with minimum_on_ground_beta = 12.0.

Also I've made changes to the variables that control the Beta lights as to have them illuminated below 12.0 instead of 0.0.
IMO these changes reflect a better implementation of the Beta Mode, with better sounds as well.
The counterpart is an increase in torque at IDLE that I can live with.
Tom

Yes it is possible.

In aircraft.cfg, I've replaced minimum_on_ground_beta = 0.0 with minimum_on_ground_beta = 12.0.

Also I've made changes to the variables that control the Beta lights as to have them illuminated below 12.0 instead of 0.0.
IMO these changes reflect a better implementation of the Beta Mode, with better sounds as well.
The counterpart is an increase in torque at IDLE that I can live with.
Tom

Tom...

According to Your findings we have changed minimum_on_ground_beta = 12.0 for the next update.

But the beta lights should only be lit when entering reverse beta range.

This is thoroughly explained in the Maintenance manual for the real Twin Otter.

This means that retarding the power lever just until they lit will indicate that You are at 0° propblade pitch, thus zero thrust.

Finn

For me it was'nt enough to set minimum_on_ground_beta to 12.0,

I had to set my throttle levers with PSUIPC and change my settings in the Saitek programing software,

as I use Saitek Pro Flight Yoke. It´s much better now.

Luc

For me it was'nt enough to set minimum_on_ground_beta to 12.0,

I had to set my throttle levers with PSUIPC and change my settings in the Saitek programing software,

as I use Saitek Pro Flight Yoke. It´s much better now.

Luc

The most important thing is to always assure that all harware axis' are properly calibrated and configured.

Finn

Yes it is possible.

T

How do you make this change Tom ?

I would like to do the same but I dind'nt find where.

How do you make this change Tom ?

I would like to do the same but I dind'nt find where.

Note!!

On the real Twin Otter, those lights do not illuminate between 0.0 and 12.0°.

They only illuminate when the propeller blades goes into reverse. ie. from below 0.0 and to ÷15°.

Finn

Finn,

That may be true for the 300-series.

I have an official Operating Manual but it's for the 100-200 series. In those, Beta Range indicator where blue lights in a round shape, and Manual textually states that "the left and right light illuminates when its related propeller blade angles reach +10° in beta range, and the beta switch, actuated by the propeller slip ring, energizes the circuit to the indicator light".

So the reason for me changing the code.

But then let's keep as originally coded for this 300 version.

Tom

Ok..

Reading the maintenance manual again it seems You are right.

9° is the right value according to the FlightSafety Maintenance manual.

I will correct for next version.

Good catch and sorry for my mistake.

Finn

Archived