Aerosoft Airport: Brussels International (released)

I'm looking forward to buy my home airport for MSFS, but I have two questions:

*Will there be continued support if there become new features available in the sim?

For example, we have a wishlist item on the official forum to make these kind of 'drive through' stands work properly:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8930002,4.4841049,250m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/create-drive-through-parking-to-enhance-immersion-at-airports/302468

If such features that require small changes become available, will they be implemented? (I'm not asking to model a new building if that is built for example, as that requires more work)

*Will we be able to edit airports that we purchase?

In previous sims I enjoyed editing parking spots for example so that the correct airlines use the correct stands. Can we do this with a payware airport?

Or if a new building gets added IRL and you don't add it, can we add it ourselves?

Thanks for all the hard work!

• Aerosoft
12 hours ago, Tjoeker said:

I'm looking forward to buy my home airport for MSFS, but I have two questions:

*Will there be continued support if there become new features available in the sim?

For example, we have a wishlist item on the official forum to make these kind of 'drive through' stands work properly:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.8930002,4.4841049,250m/data=!3m1!1e3

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/create-drive-through-parking-to-enhance-immersion-at-airports/302468

If such features that require small changes become available, will they be implemented? (I'm not asking to model a new building if that is built for example, as that requires more work)

*Will we be able to edit airports that we purchase?

In previous sims I enjoyed editing parking spots for example so that the correct airlines use the correct stands. Can we do this with a payware airport?

Or if a new building gets added IRL and you don't add it, can we add it ourselves?

Thanks for all the hard work!

You can do what you want with the airport you buy (as long as it is not sharing it with others)!

No idea about those gates, will forward it to the dev team.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Jo Erlend said:

Hi, there'll probably be more previews in the upcoming weeks.

Most of what I've been working on lately doesn't translate all that well into screenshots, but I'll leave you with this for now.

@FilbertFlies Thanks! Really glad you liked Cologne/Bonn and Trondheim, lots of great looking airports on your 2020 list! :)

This is AMAZING Jo Erlend! Thank you for the preview.

As always you set new high standards in the MSFS add-on airport development with each new airport.

I see smooth people movement here! And your trademark VDGS, which all other developers just say “technically cannot be done” in their offerings. 

Looking forward to this airport to my collection of other Jo Erlend’s works. 

• Like 1

Wow Jo!!! This is a perfect start for 2021! Love your work!!!G

Greetings Lander.

P.s. a happy, healthy and  a wonderfull new year for you guys and girls 😆

On 1/4/2021 at 1:58 AM, Jo Erlend said:

Hi, there'll probably be more previews in the upcoming weeks.

Most of what I've been working on lately doesn't translate all that well into screenshots, but I'll leave you with this for now.

Please login to display this image.

@FilbertFlies Thanks! Really glad you liked Cologne/Bonn and Trondheim, lots of great looking airports on your 2020 list! :)

This is really impressive. Does the VDGS actually work?

19 hours ago, Jo Erlend said:

@Abriael They do indeed work, they function similarly to the ones already used at Trondheim, Cologne/Bonn and Paderborn.

Here's the system at Trondheim in action, so you can expect similar functionality at Brussels.

How do you activate them in Cologne? I have the airprot but I actually never noticed them because they appear deactivated to me. 

• Developer

They work similarly to the ground crew marshaller, so the system activates when ATC clear you to a stand.
ATC guidance for the whole flight isn't needed, contacting ground after touchdown and requesting "Taxi to Gate" is sufficient.

You can also set a stand that has VDGS as the destination during the flight planning stage, that way you're sure ATC doesn't send you to one of the other stands without VDGS.

Here's a video example.

(Also make sure that you're using the latest version of EDDK)

• Like 2

Hi,

When flying online (VATSIM for example) you don't use the internal ATC of MSFS. Is there a way to activate the VDGS on a different way?

Marcel

• Developer
22 minutes ago, Jo Erlend said:

ATC guidance for the whole flight isn't needed, contacting ground after touchdown and requesting "Taxi to Gate" is sufficient.

Wouldn't this be possible, even when flying online? The VDGS is placed as a ground equipment model, so it follows the rules established by Asobo for when to spawn these types of objects.

3 hours ago, Jo Erlend said:

They work similarly to the ground crew marshaller, so the system activates when ATC clear you to a stand.

You can also set a stand that has VDGS as the destination during the flight planning stage, that way you're sure ATC doesn't send you to one of the other stands without VDGS.

Here's a video example.

(Also make sure that you're using the latest version of EDDK)

Aaah I see. That's great. 

I actually never knew you could select that before a flight. This is doubly helpful, as add-on developers tend to be a bit... whimsical in marking gates and parking ramps as pretty much whatever, often resulting into 320s sent to the cargo apron instead of the jetways haha.  😂

Edit: works like a charm. Thanks for breaking another "can't be done in MSFS" thing.

Please login to display this image.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Abriael said:

Edit: works like a charm. Thanks for breaking another "can't be done in MSFS" thing.

Absolutely!

Every other developer of MSFS airports with VDGS are omitting them and explaining it away as “SDK not ready” etc. ( or should it be technical competency?)

But Jo Erlend’s work is the proof that it is doable and it works beautifully. 

Every time I fly into these airports I pre program the arrival gates and just LOVE to watch the VDGS in action. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jo Erlend said:

Wouldn't this be possible, even when flying online? The VDGS is placed as a ground equipment model, so it follows the rules established by Asobo for when to spawn these types of objects.

Hi Jo

Just checked on MSFS and see an issue. If we are flying on VATSIM, land and we get assigned a gate by VATSIM - it's very unlikely you'd get the same gate using the default ATC to activate the VDGS. My wonder is when GSX is released and we can select our arrival gate through GSX's menu, can that activate the VDGS?

Thanks

4 minutes ago, EasternT3 said:

Hi Jo

Just checked on MSFS and see an issue. If we are flying on VATSIM, land and we get assigned a gate by VATSIM - it's very unlikely you'd get the same gate using the default ATC to activate the VDGS. My wonder is when GSX is released and we can select our arrival gate through GSX's menu, can that activate the VDGS?

Thanks

Surely that's a issue for VATSIM?

16 minutes ago, Car147 said:

Surely that's a issue for VATSIM?

I can't see how it could be VATSIMs issue

VATSIM replicates real life procedures and therefore assigns you a gate dependant on traffic connected to the server and normally assigns you a gate where the real life airline parks, the default atc picks a random parking spot that has no bearing on if someone else on the network is parked there or if the real life airline parks there, hell the default atc ever gets you to the right terminal at some airports, this has been an issue in P3D, FSX, FS2004 etc.

In short VATSIM is not going to follow a dodgy ai generation in the default atc. The default ATC is aimed at the more casual player base and for those who want to replicated real world ATC SOPs use VATSIM/IVAO. Therefore for those like me who use VATSIM and won't touch the default ATC, can it be possible to activate the VDGS through other means for example when GSX is released can it be integrated with that.

5 minutes ago, EasternT3 said:

I can't see how it could be VATSIMs issue

VATSIM replicates real life procedures and therefore assigns you a gate dependant on traffic connected to the server and normally assigns you a gate where the real life airline parks, the default atc picks a random parking spot that has no bearing on if someone else on the network is parked there or if the real life airline parks there, hell the default atc ever gets you to the right terminal at some airports, this has been an issue in P3D, FSX, FS2004 etc.

In short VATSIM is not going to follow a dodgy ai generation in the default atc. The default ATC is aimed at the more casual player base and for those who want to replicated real world ATC SOPs use VATSIM/IVAO. Therefore for those like me who use VATSIM and won't touch the default ATC, can it be possible to activate the VDGS through other means for example when GSX is released can it be integrated with that.

If developers are required to have a gate assigned by MSFS's ATC for the guidance system and stuff like marshals to work, it's an issue between MSFS itself and VATSIM/IVAO. VATSIM is partnered with Asobo, so they should take the issue to them.

It's not Aerosoft's responsibility to solve an issue derived from the fact that VATSIM controllers can't interact with the simulator's ATC system. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Abriael said:

If developers are required to have a gate assigned by MSFS's ATC for the guidance system and stuff like marshals to work, it's an issue between MSFS itself and VATSIM/IVAO. VATSIM is partnered with Asobo, so they should take the issue to them.

It's not Aerosoft's responsibility to solve an issue derived from the fact that VATSIM controllers can't interact with the simulator's ATC system. 

I get it's not Aerosoft's responsibility, ultimately and people like myself who have been in the sim world a while knows about the flaws of the default ATC spanning back multiple game iterations. Potentially this could be brought back to the ongoing SDK infancy issues, however the last thing anyone wants is a realistic add-in such as VATSIM interacting with a unrealistic (although slightly better than FS9/FSX) default ATC as I said -  the default atc can't even get you to a correct gate.

In P3D I could land at UK2000's Heathrow in a PMDG aircraft for example, and VATSIM would instruct me to taxi to a gate and UK2000's version of VDGS would automatically pick me and guide me in correctly every time without using the default ATC to activate it. The question surly is what's the difference between FSX/P3D and MSFS's coding to require the default ATC in MSFS to activate the VDGS. and therefore if something is required to activate it then potentially can it be activated when a stand is picked through GSX.

Question for @Mathijs Kok or @Jo Erlendif the GSX option is possible, would it  be FSDreamteam's responsibility GSX integrates with 3rd Party Airports or 3rd Party Airports intergrading with GSX?

I'm not trying to bash anyone, I respect all developers (and I have been showing support in the CRJ thread where others haven't). I like many other strive for as much realism as others hence buying Aerosoft/PMDG/FSLabs etc aircraft/payware airports/FS2Crew Products etc and VDGS adds to realism and I feel like using the unrealistic default ATC subtracts from realism and from my POV VATSIM shouldn't have to use it either, therefore the question remains of can VDGS be programmed to be activated in other ways, (I.E GSX) or is it something we'll have to wait for the SDK to mature to see? 

• Aerosoft
50 minutes ago, EasternT3 said:

Question for @Mathijs Kok or @Jo Erlendif the GSX option is possible, would it  be FSDreamteam's responsibility GSX integrates with 3rd Party Airports or 3rd Party Airports intergrading with GSX?

Not being hindered by a lot of technical knowledge, I would say that all parties, the people who develop GSX and the scenery developers.  Umberto has my email address and probably also my cell phone number and knows we'll gladly assist. As stated in other topics, there is very little animosity between developers or publishers regarding MFS.  We all know it is a big part of our future and there is a lot of information sharing.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Not being hindered by a lot of technical knowledge, I would say that all parties, the people who develop GSX and the scenery developers.  Umberto has my email address and probably also my cell phone number and knows we'll gladly assist. As stated in other topics, there is very little animosity between developers or publishers regarding MFS.  We all know it is a big part of our future and there is a lot of information sharing.

Thanks for the reply @Mathijs Kok, as always I'm looking forward to Brussels and all aerosoft products, flight sims future is looking bright.

From a lay woman’s 💃perspective and understanding of how the VDGS gets activated is this ... it all depends on the arrival gate that is being used. If the gate selected is equipped with VDGS it doesn’t matter whether being sent there by MSFS ATC, VATSIM, P2ATC or anything else. Just get to the correct gate and it works. Similar to whether a marshal is shown at the gate, when there is no VDGS.