Aerosoft Airport: Brussels International (released)

Hmmm... up close, the grass is looking a wee bit... Minecraftesque...

As Aaron said, it is a flight simulator not a farming simulator. You should never be that close to the grass that you see the pixelation.. also it is a DXT1 texture at 512x512. This is a HUGE airport being covered entirely in grass so I need to optimise it as much as possible. Unless you want to see superbly smooth grass when your sitting in it for an odd reason and then complain about terrible frame rates.

Keukenrol, Indeed there will be a performance tweaking tool, an extensive one I will add, also not only will it allow you to enable/disable features for performance reasons, it will also allow you to customise the way the airport looks, not entirely but small things such as having jetway advertisement banners or not.

• Upvote 3

Hmmm... up close, the grass is looking a wee bit... Minecraftesque...

Ah well, we can of course build a HD version as seen in some of the latest shooters for you, but I bet you'd be the first one whining about memory and fps usage after release.

• Upvote 3

As Aaron said, it is a flight simulator not a farming simulator. You should never be that close to the grass that you see the pixelation.. also it is a DXT1 texture at 512x512. This is a HUGE airport being covered entirely in grass so I need to optimise it as much as possible. Unless you want to see superbly smooth grass when your sitting in it for an odd reason and then complain about terrible frame rates.

Keukenrol, Indeed there will be a performance tweaking tool, an extensive one I will add, also not only will it allow you to enable/disable features for performance reasons, it will also allow you to customise the way the airport looks, not entirely but small things such as having jetway advertisement banners or not.

Even from afar, it looks too sharp. Unless the image was sharpened in Photoshop or something. Nevertheless, many developers have figured how to get it perfectly smooth without even the slightest hit on performance. If we are not meant to see the grass up close, (or sitting in it) why was the screenshot provided showing us just that from that point of view?

Look, you are doing a good job here Darren and I have stated this in the posts i have written promoting your work. Given that, the moment I point out something less than optimal, the response I get is a bit defensive. Grass looks too pixelated this is my observation that's all. We can go on about farming simulators and the nonsense about shooter games posted from the Admin above. It doesn't need to look like a game, which it currently does. it just needs to look like something fit for FS which I feel it does not. The shots below depict flight simulator from an airport of equal size. No complaints of bad performance or OOM's from anyone. This is merely one of many examples I can show. So it is possible. And overall, it really impacts the look of the airport. I applaud your efforts in the implementation, and simply only wish to encourage you to refine it. Now you know me quite well Aaron, I don't think I am far fetching.

2_zps186ece29.jpg

download_zps8e26f295.jpg

download1_zpsd0c0fbc2.jpg

41_zps41445e57.jpg

• Upvote 11

Hi,

I use Ultimate Traffic 2, and I used to have the previous scenery of brussels, and there was not much traffic, almost all gates was empty exept aroute the satelite terminal and near jetairfly hangar and maintenant, south of the field. the airport seems a bit too much empty.

Do you think the problem will be solved in the new version, do you plan to include static traffic?

the project seems to be very promising, keep up the good work.

Thanks'

Even from afar, it looks too sharp. Unless the image was sharpened in Photoshop or something. Nevertheless, many developers have figured how to get it perfectly smooth without even the slightest hit on performance. If we are not meant to see the grass up close, (or sitting in it) why was the screenshot provided showing us just that from that point of view?

Look, you are doing a good job here Darren and I have stated this in the posts i have written promoting your work. Given that, the moment I point out something less than optimal, the response I get is a bit defensive. Grass looks too pixelated this is my observation that's all. We can go on about farming simulators and the nonsense about shooter games posted from the Admin above. It doesn't need to look like a game, which it currently does. it just needs to look like something fit for FS which I feel it does not. The shots below depict flight simulator from an airport of equal size. No complaints of bad performance or OOM's from anyone. This is merely one of many examples I can show. So it is possible. And overall, it really impacts the look of the airport. I applaud your efforts in the implementation, and simply only wish to encourage you to refine it. Now you know me quite well Aaron, I don't think I am far fetching.

2_zps186ece29.jpg

download_zps8e26f295.jpg

download1_zpsd0c0fbc2.jpg

41_zps41445e57.jpg

Them grass blades are tall, and not as dense as the grass in EBBR, therefore the dev is practically forced to use a higher res image so it looks good. I am not being defensive, just shocks me how there is alot of more important things to be worried about. I will try and make the grass smoother, I can do it easily.

• Upvote 2

Here is smoother grass
fgdgd_zps9e059d1c.png

I had to increase the size to 1024x1024, they are still DDS DXT1, which is why the grass was not smoothe because DXT1 alpha channel only uses pure black or pure white, thus of course making curved edges look squared, I am not using DXT3 as i didnt want drawing artifacts.

This change however has lost us 6-7 FPS...

• Upvote 2

It is does look better. Not so pixelated up close or razor sharp from afar. perhaps in the installer, you will want to give people the option of which texture gradient to use or to even have the grass at all. Some clearly do not care and some definitely will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Aerosoft

Frankly, I've no idea why anyone would spend a vast amount of time on grass simulation at the expense of frame rate. C'mon guys....really.

Nick

indeed. Even from a small GA aircraft you simply can't see blades of grass, you just see grass.

Some of the images here seem to come from another simulator that probably is called "lying prone on the grass aircraft spotter"

• Upvote 4

I would say that high fidelity grass simulation should be the preserve of small grass-strip GA aerodromes; at a large international airport like Brussels the vast majority of simmers will be landing and departing in complex airliners addons; personally I would rather have the 6 extra FPS than fancy grass at such a large airport.

I would rather have high quality building and ground textures rather than 3d grass.

• Upvote 10

indeed. Even from a small GA aircraft you simply can't see blades of grass, you just see grass.

Some of the images here seem to come from another simulator that probably is called "lying prone on the grass aircraft spotter"

In that case, I would differ to Aerosoft Dublin. Better to keep it lite but still present. But if a developer is going to spend time adding the feature of highly dense vegetation, it should still look like grass and not a bunch of pixels that are too sharp in appearance from afar and too pixelated up close. People will still fly small VFR aircraft into large airports and see it up close. You don't need to be lying in it to see it that way thus not everyone will be sitting up high in a 777. From that VC shot, it doesn't appear like grass but a bunch of digital spikes. If we are not going for detail a more modest look than whats shown above would look better or no grass at all. My opinion indeed.

As for the "lying prone on the grass aircraft spotter" quip, would you still call it that if that project had been published by Aerosoft?

• Upvote 2

Please don't spend hours and hours on the grass, it is indeed not a GA airport..

We don't care about some grass that is passing by at 150 knots! Better to have a good fps instead of fps eating but nice looking grass!

thanks!

• Upvote 4

Would it be possible to see some more detail on the airport itself by now? Like the state of the buildings and textures at the moment.. And some night lighting would be very nice too!

Here are 10 raw screenshots taken just now, 5 in the day and 5 at night. A lot more has been done but I am yet to convert the enhanced textures.

1_zps6541da77.png

2_zps096aeede.png

3_zps1ac283aa.png

4_zpsd738a9f7.png

5_zpsddb1e33d.png

1n_zps899098d5.png

2n_zpsb278ba3c.png

3n_zpsd65f7a90.png

4n_zps77223947.png

5n_zps6f7f02a9.png

Jetways are not there as they're with aerosoft getting compatibility for AES.
Photoscenery now covers quite a large area surrounding the airport, which is compatible with FTX Global and default, filled with autogen.

Texturing is about 80% finished, need to add taxi signs (though this is a huge struggle, as I have no idea what sign says what!! HELP), connector to be modelled, again, very difficult.. when these are out the way I think it is ready for release.

Best Regards

• Upvote 5

WOW, great!!!

Just nitpicking, but on the 3rd night picture the 'b'-logo on the tail of the avro is mirrored :)

And since 2010, Brussels Airlines isn't flying the Boeing 737 anymore :) (3rd day picture)

Also, that orange small cheatline on the airbus is not present on today's aircraft of Brussels Airlines, it was on the previous livery of SN Brussels Airlines

But I can't wait to see this scenery to be released!

WOW, great!!!

Just nitpicking, but on the 3rd night picture the 'b'-logo on the tail of the avro is mirrored :)

And since 2010, Brussels Airlines isn't flying the Boeing 737 anymore :) (3rd day picture)

Also, that orange small cheatline on the airbus is not present on today's aircraft of Brussels Airlines, it was on the previous livery of SN Brussels Airlines

well that has nothing to do with the scenery, all you're pointing out is issues with the ai traffic ;)

WOW, great!!!

This is of course due to Ultimate traffic 2, nothing I can do about that i'm afraid