AES Won't start

I just downloaded AES and activated a bunch of airports. But when I get to the airport and hit Ctrl-Shift-W, nothing happens. I have to exit FSX, turn on AES Help, activate the airports, Exit AES Help, start up FSX, and then it works. But when I get to the next airport it happens again. Am I missing something?

Does AES Help have to be running in the background?

You run it only when you need it. Which means:

1. to assign credits (you don't need to launch FSX)

2. to configure your aircraft or change settings (you launch FSX)

So the general answer to your question is 'no'.

You don't run AES in the background during your FS sessions.

I am the administrator on my computer

Using Windows 7 you still need to rightclick every file and select "Run as Administrator", otherwise it won't work.

I tried starting everything up as an administrator. It didn't help. And I have autogen set to Sparse but most other settings are fairly high.

Hi Scott,

Try setting Autogen to Normal, also go into FSX scenery library and check that AES is at the very top (number 1) and ticked.

Also are the airports that you use highlighted in light green, (with credits assigned if necessary) in the AES menu before you start FSX?

I downloaded the latest version [i had 2.30 installed], increased my autogen to normal, and checked to make sure the airports were marked green and AES [base Package] is at the top of the scenery config file. I just flew into one of my registered airports, and the runway had the texture of recent rainfall shown in your manual. The configuration menu came up when I tried it, so it seems to be recognizing the airport. But Ctrl-Shift-W doesn't activate the options menu. I had to restart FSX three times to get it to work. Very frustrating.

• Developer

The configuration menu came up when I tried it, so it seems to be recognizing the airport. But Ctrl-Shift-W doesn't activate the options menu. I had to restart FSX three times to get it to work. Very frustrating.

what do you mean with config menu came up?

what do you mean with config menu came up?

I mean that I select the Configuration option from AESHELP. I understand that only works if I'm an an airport the program recognizes. I was at a recognized airport when I tried it to see if the program was recognizing it, and it did. So everything seems to be working except activating the menu via ctrl-shift-w.

• Developer

But you close the config before you try to open the AES window in the FS? While the Aircraft config is running, no menu is opening in the FS. Aeshelp should also be closed before. And it need some second after starting at the airport before the window is be able to open.

You can also try to change the keycombi via Add ons> Vistamare in the fs headline, maybe the shift ctrl W kombi is not the best for you, i have changed it to F11.

I'm doing everything as you suggested. I changed my activation to Shift-F11. Still can't get it to work without shutting down and re-starting FSX at least once at each airport.

Problem solved, finally. There seems to be a conflict between AES and the ATC window. After receiving my gate assignment, AES won't open as long as the ATC window is open. Once I close it down with the ~ key AES works fine.

Archived