Can Engine Failures be Random?

HondaJet

Today I was on a VA flight with the PAX model at Cruise just before descent (about 90%+ of the flight was over) and the left engine went out. The flight was about 1 hour. No warning lights before failure, no engine instrument indication, Temps were below the red range, torque was about 35%, I was not in icing conditions and there was no icing showing on the Config page of the checklist.

So can these events be random or is it something I did to the aircraft to cause it? Does wear & tear build up over time? I couldn't find a Hobbs meter so don't know how many hours I have in it but could be about 20 by now. I have no failures set in FSX but I do have "Failures & Icing" turned ON.

Wanting to know if I need to be more careful on Take off or something.

Thanks

Jerry

Random failures should not occur unless You have set so in the FSX failure menu.

I have no clue what happened as long as I don´t know what OAT was present, weather and other information.

guess that that You might have been in icing conditions without really knowing it.

Again I can highly suggest to use the build in Flight Data recorder, cause that would tell You exactly what happens when.

It´s a shame that so few seems not to use that feature it´s a top notch learning tool.

Finn

I will now Finn, thanks for the insight about failures. So since there was no icing showing on the last page of the checklist it must have been something I did during the flight that caught up with me.

Love flying this plane. Looking forward to your patch to fix the A/P issues.

Jerry

Archived