Flight recorder?

chkl

Hello,

I recently installed the Twin Otter Extended and noticed a program called Flight Recorder was installed as well. Is this required? If not, how can I uninstall?

Hello,

I recently installed the Twin Otter Extended and noticed a program called Flight Recorder was installed as well. Is this required? If not, how can I uninstall?

Yes it is required, It allows you to record and veiw your flight's via Google Earth. Google Earth must be installed on your computer to be able to view all phase's of your flight. If you take a look in the manual or the screenshots of the Twotter Extended on the purchase page you will see whatit doe's. Hope this helps

Regards Keith

Not sure it is "required".. I have never used it, but it sits in the FSX/Aerosoft folder as a "Flight Recorder" folder.

If you do not like having it there, try moving this folder to a backup location..

You can also have a look at your DLL.XML file and disable it there, if it is listed

<Disabled>True</Disabled>

Page 1-1-6 in the manual explains how to turn it on in the panel, if you do want to use it..

• Aerosoft

Yes it is required, It allows you to record and veiw your flight's via Google Earth. Google Earth must be installed on your computer to be able to view all phase's of your flight. If you take a look in the manual or the screenshots of the Twotter Extended on the purchase page you will see whatit doe's. Hope this helps

Regards Keith

You can of course also use the build in tool to see your flight!

post-43-0-80615200-1374825148_thumb.jpg

When it is not activated it does not use any resources (okay other then a few bytes of memory)

No it´s not required, but I guess it´s rather forgotten by many.

Actually it´s a great learning tool, both to monitor Your own pilot performance as well as investigating aircraft systems events.

.ex "Why did I suddently start to loos airspeed and altitude" - the FDR can give You the answer. Looking into the events You would see that Your had been experiencing airframe icing and forgot to turn on de-icing systems.

If You don´t turn it on, it doesnt do anything and FPS impact is very minor.

Instead of uninstalling it, You should rather try to use it.

Finn

I'll pick on this thread:

I'm having trouble with the FDR. It only shows the flights recorded on the Airbus and none of those made on the twin otter extended. I've tried flying with the FDR on ON, I've tried on OFF, I've tried setting on before flight and OFF after chocks on, but nothing...

It's as if those flights were never made. Am I missing something?

Running V1.1, on win 7 64, FSX accel+SP2

Finn,

I did a test flight around the pattern and got the same results as Goncalo. I turned the FDR on after the battery went on, then went through startup and take off to landing and shutdown. Then went to the Recorder Manager and there were no flights there.

Here is what I found; The location for the flight files in the manual shows "They are stored in \Documents\AerosoftFlightRecorder" (this path was empty even though the folders are there) but after some searching I found the files in this path - My Documents/Aerosoft/AerosoftTwinOtterExtended/Flight Recorder instead. Once I imported them using the Recorder Manager I could see what happened during the flight. So now I have a work around.

Try this Goncalo and see if yours are in the same location as mine. I was also able to successfully export the file to Google Maps for the visual shown in the manual. Cool stuff.

Finn, The manual also mentions an EVENT button to activate or de-activate logging of particular activities but I don't see that button; just on/off & test. Can you point me to the EVENT button? I am running V1.01, on win 7 x64 & FSX Gold with lots of addons.

Thanks,

Jerry

Good to hear You found the workaround..

I think we must update the manual.

The FDR works like this:

Power switch: Turns the FDR recording On/Off

Test button: When the power switch is off You can test the FDR by pressing it, With the Power switch On the test button acts as the event marker.

We tried to keep the controls as simple as possible since the real Twin Otter does not come with a FDR.

Finn

Try this Goncalo and see if yours are in the same location as mine. I was also able to successfully export the file to Google Maps for the visual shown in the manual. Cool stuff.

Hey Jerry,

Indeed there they were! I was able to successfully import them into the FDR. Thanks for you help mate! I searched a lot for those files, In vain...

Finn, shouldn't the recorder "detect" these file automatically?

Cheers guys

I'm not the one who made the FDR, so I don´t know exactly how it´s supposed to find files, but it´s used for both the Airbus Extended and Twin Otter.

Finn

If you have installed the latest version of the FDR app (should be v1.2 Build 590) it will pick up the recorded Otter flights automatically, if FS is not running. It won't load the flights if FS is running to prevent disrupting a current flight recording.

Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I have build 590 v1.2.0, but it is not picking up the Twin Otter Flights even if I load it with FSX disconnected.

Any suggestion?

Best regards,

g.

If you have installed the latest version of the FDR app (should be v1.2 Build 590) it will pick up the recorded Otter flights automatically, if FS is not running. It won't load the flights if FS is running to prevent disrupting a current flight recording.

Regards

Thomas

• 1 month later...

Archived