Rediculous performance at Rotterdam X

rocky

OK, although a supporter of many Aerosoft airports, I generally stay clear of some of the bigger airports due to experiencing silly poor performance. So when I bought Rotterdam X I thought I would be safe... how wrong can I be!

I am not a developer, so won't pretend I understand the intricacies of designing some of the excellent sceneries that are published by Aerosoft. However, I am a pretty intelligent kind of guy and fail abysmally when trying to find the logic of how some airports and sceneries are so well made they put others in the shade but yet others are just so poor. The first that springs to mind is Skiathos X, which IMO is simply brilliant. So why oh why do I get just stupid frames and stutters flying into Rotterdam and while taxiing. I mean 14/15 fps and not smooth either. Before anyone shouts switch down your autogen, I fly the NGX with normal autogen and fair weather, so few clouds.

With a SB2500 Oc to 4.6Ghz, 8Gb RAM, a GTX580 and OS and FSX on two separate SSDs I feel more than a little annoyed. BTW, I have the usual tweaks that I've spent more time than I should have ensuring my FSX is generally smooth and bug free. So why this poor performance with such an average airport.

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of performance with Rotterdam X? Any ideas welcomed. Cheers...

• Aerosoft

I get very steady 35 fps on my (sub $800) machine there and I can't find any other report about slow performance for this airport. But of course it is a complex bit of work with a lot of polygons and it covers quite a bit of terrain around the airport. It's also made by one of the most professional developers and I know the optimization is done with great care. To make it faster simply means removing a lot of stuff.

But you also say our mega airports are too slow on your machine, even though we sold hundreds of thousands of them. Rotterdam has a higher object density per area then most mega airports, just because it is a smaller airport.

SSDs and other items like that will do nothing for performance (FPS). It is a myth perpetuated by those who don't understand systems architecture.

Remove the processor overclock - you might be causing it to throttle back due to overheating, giving worse performance overall (not to mention a much shorter lifespan).

Finally, it should be recognized that there are as many system configs as stars in the sky, and so no two systems will perform the same, even if one appears to have a higher spec on paper.

The performance I get from FSX on my £400 rig will make you cry, but only because I recognize the limitations of the simulator (FSX is not the best example of how to write software).

Best regards,

Robin.

Hi Robin, thanks for the reply. I understand SSDs offer no performance advantage, only speed of loading the sim. I simply mentioned the fact that I have FSX and the OS on separate SSDs to establish that I take FSX seriously and know what I'm doing (more or less :rolleyes: ) Again, thanks for your observation about my overclock, but to be frank, if I was experiencing the kind of issues I do with Rotterdam with other sceneries, then I would accept that there may be a problem with my setup. But I enjoy a very good performing sim, most of the times, and when there appears to be an issue with a specific scenery then it's obviously pertinent to that one scenery and not a generic problem that exists elsewhere. The OC has no issue with overheating as it barely gets above 61c under load. It has Corsair liquid cooling and has been rock solid since day one, 18 months ago. I hear what you're saying though and appreciate the input. If you have any other advice I'd be interested in hearing it. Cheers.

Hello Howard,

My system is not too dissimilar, at EHRD with the NGX I'll get 25-30FPS with a 30 lock, even in the terminal area. I would think there is some interference from another add-on.

Are you getting low frame rates when loading at EHRD or when you fly in?

Other additions such as NL2000, EBBR, EHAM etc?

One thing you could try is disabling all other scenery add-ons (reghardless of actual location), and seeing if it still persists?

Best regards,

Robin.

Disable scenery shadows (think it is an option in the installer?). Rotterdam X is one of the few sceneries which features them. In order to make a scenery shadow on buildings it involves adding an awful lot of invisible polygons.

Hello Howard,

My system is not too dissimilar, at EHRD with the NGX I'll get 25-30FPS with a 30 lock, even in the terminal area. I would think there is some interference from another add-on.

Are you getting low frame rates when loading at EHRD or when you fly in?

Other additions such as NL2000, EBBR, EHAM etc?

Hmm strange Stephen, as I'm getting about 13/15 frames around the terminal taxiing and from what I remember, about 20 on approach. Very odd. Other addons are OK, except my FSDT airports which are also pretty abysmal.

One thing you could try is disabling all other scenery add-ons (reghardless of actual location), and seeing if it still persists?

Best regards,

Robin.

Thanks Robin

Disable scenery shadows (think it is an option in the installer?). Rotterdam X is one of the few sceneries which features them. In order to make a scenery shadow on buildings it involves adding an awful lot of invisible polygons.

Hi Aaron, unsure whether you know, but there is no control panel with Rotterdam. That was the first thing I looked for.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, was on vacation for a while.

Hi Aaron, unsure whether you know, but there is no control panel with Rotterdam. That was the first thing I looked for.

Aron's point was very good. Since Rotterdam is the only scenery that causes the problem on your system despite done very performance friendly the so-called volume shadows will be the cause in your system (99% sure about that). FSX doesn't display shadows from one 3D object on another except if they are volume shadows, which are quite complex to do and therefore not done in many sceneries. In the end that means that either your video card in general or it's driver can't handle them. So if you can't solve it by updating your driver or simply don't want to risk it your only option left will be deactivating "Ground scenery shadows" in your FSX->Settings->Scenery. There's no control panel that comes with Rotterdam to do that.

aero_rotterdam_46.jpg

Bests,

Sascha

• 4 weeks later...

I use this Thread for my Problem with the Scenery of Rotterdam.

I have bought "Dutch Airports", where it is included.

When I come near the Airport, my FPS get down, from 30 with the PMDG 737ngx REX ESS + HD,GEX Europe, to 5-6!!! It's more than a Dia-Show!

Is there something I have to do Special for this Szenery??

Greetz

Sebastian

I use this Thread for my Problem with the Scenery of Rotterdam.

I have bought "Dutch Airports", where it is included.

When I come near the Airport, my FPS get down, from 30 with the PMDG 737ngx REX ESS + HD,GEX Europe, to 5-6!!! It's more than a Dia-Show!

Is there something I have to do Special for this Szenery??

Greetz

Sebastian

Turn off 'Ground Scenery Shadows' in FSX, add 'HIGHMEMFIX=1' to your .cfg and have water no higher than 'High 1.X'. Also what is your system specification?

Thanks für Answer!!!

Turn off 'Ground Scenery Shadows' in FSX, add 'HIGHMEMFIX=1' to your .cfg and have water no higher than 'High 1.X'. Also what is your system specification?

Highmemfix=1 is set!

I will try it without the Groundshadows

My Specs: ASUS P8P67Deluxe, Intel i7-2600K @ 4,43GHz, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866 MHZ, Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Direct CU II 2GB GDDR-5

Greetz

Sebastian

• 4 weeks later...

All the advice regarding ground shadows, Highmemfix etc, are all current with my setup. However, I eventually sorted this issue by deactivating the large photoreal secenry surrounding the airport. It now runs how I would have expected. Thanks fellas...

Archived