Discovering my plane (more issues)

emisary

I like the plane more and more, but, I see some issues I cannot explain.

The most interesting part is, that at a certain point my engines die out.
The artifical horizon flips to the side, fuel seems empty. Lights are burning. When I check the fuel via the menubar, I see that there is still sufficient fuel left.
The first thing I thought was icing. But it is 29oC outside. I was at 7000 feet today when that happened. The engines do not start and I made an emergencylanding.
After switching from battery to system, everything came live again.Except for starting the engine. Fuel was there. Switching back to battery, all dead. Except for the lights they burned.

Used some de icing switches etc, and all is ok. But starting is no.
Then I pressed on those 2 buttons, near the fuses and one engine starts. Then the other and I could takeoff again.

Is it a bug that the engines die out, or was it icing, but then it was hot. OK I flew through a cloud.

The main fueltanks where still full for 30% when the engines died out.
And it is not the first time. Plane is at altitude, you fly around 180 knots.Well underway, and somewhere at 20% or 80% of the trip, the engines die out, and it needs the external electricity.

So far mostly in the neighberhood of VOR MAS near EHBK.

How do you start your plane ? Do you use the checklist ?

I am pretty sure you missed a step or something.

If you can post a screenshot when this happens i think people can help you, now it's just guessing.. I am pretty sure it's not a bug.

No, I am not using that big list, that covers the complete monitor screen, and is hard to read because of the small letters.
I set all 6 fuel buttons to ON, then I put the electricity on external, and then click the staterbutton (left and then right).
The position of the ignation buttons, do no seem to play a role.
Stupidity is, that on the top deck, there is a button called "Bus tie normal" , that I need to activate to start the first engine, and then de-activate for the second engine.
It is not clear to me why. I do not touch the Genetor buttons, as I see a message about that on my warning panel, if I have then on.

But even then, I would guess, that if I have flown about 180km, what triggers it then? And not earlier? Lets say while taxiing. It sometime happenes after 15KM.

I just made a screenshot of what I saw when I was on the air. This screenshot is when I was made on the ground.

And yes, I am quite sure, it is me. But, I am learning. And it is a big difference, if you only have flown freeware planes, and the default FSX planes.

What I am missing in the documentation is an overview image from the complete cockpit, where you can find things. Now it is, reading in the manual, then hope to find what I read about. And I learn from this forum.

Considering me, this is a very nice plane.

post-90156-0-61190900-1374499965_thumb.j

post-90156-0-16674600-1374500108_thumb.j

post-90156-0-69278000-1374500110_thumb.j

After switching from battery to system, everything came live again.Except for starting the engine. Fuel was there. Switching back to battery, all dead. Except for the lights they burned.

What does that in bold mean? There is no "battery to system" switch. Maybe you are a bit confused on how the DC MASTER works?

If you turn OFF the DC MASTER, you are not switching to battery but cutting dc power to all buses. So, in a straight an level flight, turn it off and everything goes pretty dark and silent. Engines die as lack of power makes fuel pumps go offline.

Did you recall messing with that switch?

Tom

PS: Use the checklist, won't make you any harm worst that the one you've already suffered ;)

• Deputy Sheriffs

Emisary,

You are asking us for help, but you refuse to use the most useful tool available: the interactive checklist!

Maybe you don't realise yet that by right clicking the checklist box it will do the action for you, and by clicking the checklist's item text the view will change to show it.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Unbelievable! Developers spent tons of hours on developing tools that make it easy for the user to get familiar with that aircraft and he refuses to use it or even think about it, but instead starts to complains. really frustrating! :angry2_s:

@taguilo. I do not mean the DC master. That one is switched on. But I mean the one right from that button. I assume it should be on battery when you fly. I had that. I could not start the engine in mid air. I had to switch it to System, and then the engine started to run instantly. At least the turbines, not the blades. Besides the lights where burning. Not the GPS's and what is in front of the cockpit.

@Eric and Mopperle. I did use that list. But nothing worked. I had several V and a lot of X. So I thought the list was there for the show and put it aside. And it took a while until I fiddled out, that you could right click it.
Then I got the engines running. Great, but they where in flames within a second after they started to rotate. Then I did read on this forum about a patch and installed it. Started up FSX. And never saw the list again. So I went exploring myself. And got the engines running. Even with the CTRL E command. So how difficult can it be? Yet I prefer to click the buttons. What does that list do? It should help me to do the tasks I should do. However I have nothing, if I click on the list and I hear a switch click and I do not see where it is. How can I memorize that? If I only hear a click and do not see it? Remember the book is in front of my screen, and the meters and switches are behind it. I cannot even un-switch it, to find out, which button it was.I am not so happy with that list.
A printed book is better for me. And in short, I am more a person, to learn from mistakes en want to know why I need to press this or that button, in stead doing things, because they are printed on paper, in electronic documents or in visual helpfile.

I am learning and nothing more.

I added a screenshot of what I see. It is hard to see what is behind the book. Letters are not so good to read.

post-90156-0-79237500-1374504403_thumb.j

K still i would advise you to use the checklist, even if it covers the screen, press something and than close the checklist to see where the button is, shift-2 will make it appear again.

On to your problem, my guess would be that your generators are not running.

I have to echo Daffers here, I also think you haven't turned on the generators. That would match the situation you are in, engines (and systems) fail after a certain time / distance you've flown. Yep, exactly when your battery is empty ;)

Also you are saying: "I do not touch the genetor buttons, as I see a message about that on my warning panel, if I have then on."

Assuming you start with a cold&dark situation, switching on the generators at a certain point (checklist will tell you) is mandatory. They are not on by Default. And, seeing messages on the warning panel is not good :) if everything is set up and systems running properly, no message should illuminate! As they are all warnings :) so, seeing messages about generators does tell you something is wrong with them.

Ric

@Daffers and Ricfishner: The generators. So you can start an engine without using them?

Anyway, was clicking confirm the list just half an hour ago. Cost me half an hour to get through 2 pages. Engines run.
From the practical, why do I switch the fuel pumps and boosters, off, on, off and on so often? Why not simple, check of, put on? I am loosing logic here.

Geez that is a two men job, if you want up and away in 20 minutes or so. :confused2_s:

BTW when I start FSX, engines run allready, and switch them off, Just to make it more officially. I have no idea how I can start a plane, cold and dark.
I have that with all the default and freeware planes.

Hi,

yes you can start the engines without them ;) but once in the air, with no ground power (external) available, you need them to produce electrical power. Otherwise you are running on battery only. And you already know about the consequences of that :)

Yep, that plane is designed for two pilots. The checklist is kinda long, but I guess thats just acurate. Personally, I like that.. Switching on and off the fuel booster pumps is to thoroughly test the fuel System and it's corresponding warning lights. So you basically test different failure situations and check if the appropriate warning is coming up. That's at least how I see it: I don't want to run into trouble with my fuel system and being the last one observing it :)

If the engines are running already, directly after you started the flight, did you Switch to cold and dark using the configuration Panel? That's the last page of the interactive checklist, there you can force a cold&dark situation (SET Cold & Dark).

And btw, do you use a custom flight situation in FSX for start up (not the default Air Trike over Friday Harbour)? Your comment about default planes starting up with engines off do hint in that direction.. that might cause problems down the road. As for every add on aircraft it is recommended to start FSX with the default flight situation. Just as a sidenote..

Ric

• Deputy Sheriffs

Anyway, was clicking confirm the list just half an hour ago. Cost me half an hour to get through 2 pages. Engines run.

Geez that is a two men job, if you want up and away in 20 minutes or so. :confused2_s:

BTW when I start FSX, engines run allready, and switch them off, Just to make it more officially. I have no idea how I can start a plane, cold and dark.

The beauty of this Twin Otter is that you can use it any way you prefer, simple or realistic.

If you do not want to go through the full startup procedure (which is indeed long and a two man job in real life), you better choose 'get ready to fly' on the configuration page (last page of the checklist).

Quick and easy, and everything is set correctly for you. ;)

We advise against using the ctrl-e, as this will not set all systems correctly.

The beauty of this Twin Otter is that you can use it any way you prefer, simple or realistic.

If you do not want to go through the full startup procedure (which is indeed long and a two man job in real life), you better choose 'get ready to fly' on the configuration page (last page of the checklist).

Quick and easy, and everything is set correctly for you. ;)

We advise against using the ctrl-e, as this will not set all systems correctly.

Perfect answer: That answer was the the second that came into my mind when I started to read this thread ...

@ Eric: True, but I can also see that some users that like to learn about aircrafts and aviation prefer to start from cold&dark, without a full understanding of all Systems and so on. They will get better by time and at least the ones postingb here seem interested ;) Of course the use of the checklist is recommended (and the one of Aerosofts Twotter is a great one), but some might learn better by Trial and error. Thats so great about this add on, it fits so many different ways of using fsx, as you said.

Anyway, you can get the twotter up in the air real quick, if necessary. If I imagine I'm on a small field in the middle of some Woods and that nasty Wood fire is getting closer real quick, I'd start it up without the fuel pumps checking Routine and get the heck outa there :) I'd rather take the risk of one fuel pump failing (later), where it won't show a warning, than getting smoked in my loved Twotter (soon)!

Did I say that? Nono, I would always run the complete checklist... :embaressed_s:

Ric

Hi,

yes you can start the engines without them ;) but once in the air, with no ground power (external) available, you need them to produce electrical power. Otherwise you are running on battery only. And you already know about the consequences of that :)

Maybe that explanes why I could fly up to 80% of the trip. Learned something here.

Yep, that plane is designed for two pilots. The checklist is kinda long, but I guess thats just acurate. Personally, I like that.. Switching on and off the fuel booster pumps is to thoroughly test the fuel System and it's corresponding warning lights. So you basically test different failure situations and check if the appropriate warning is coming up. That's at least how I see it: I don't want to run into trouble with my fuel system and being the last one observing it :)

Will work through it then. Will go faster when I grow older I guess. ;-)

If the engines are running already, directly after you started the flight, did you Switch to cold and dark using the configuration Panel? That's the last page of the interactive checklist, there you can force a cold&dark situation (SET Cold & Dark).

Well I think I did that, but it did not make a difference the next time I fired up FSX.

And btw, do you use a custom flight situation in FSX for start up (not the default Air Trike over Friday Harbour)? Your comment about default planes starting up with engines off do hint in that direction.. that might cause problems down the road. As for every add on aircraft it is recommended to start FSX with the default flight situation. Just as a sidenote..

Ric

Not that I am aware of.

I allways select a default plane, like the Cessna Caravan, check the weather, check my local airport EHBK and the spot to start from and as last the time. Then I start it. Then are the engines running.

Then I change the plane. Sometimes I pick the desired plane from the start.

• Aerosoft

K still i would advise you to use the checklist, even if it covers the screen, press something and than close the checklist to see where the button is, shift-2 will make it appear again.

On to your problem, my guess would be that your generators are not running.

You do know you can set the transparency of the checklist do you? And that it will open the correct view for the action you need to take?

Didn't know about transparancy, about the correct view. That's what i meant. I don't need the transpancy as i am playing on a 32 inch screen. Transparancy could be useful for the TS though.

Love the checklist!

A checklist for Mobiles or tablets would be handy

Reading, then printing Vol 3 of the manual would seem to have already solved that problem

The checklist maybe long and a little complicated at first, but most checklists are, once you get used to the systems and where everything is placed you"ll develop a flow and it will go by pretty quickly. I maintained real twin otters for a decade and we had few shortcuts for doing things, but we still used a checklist for run ups and taxiing better safe then sorry. In the real aircraft you could zip thru the pre start checklist in a couple of minutes of course it's a lot easier when you're flipping real switches. Honestly, checklists are there in real life for a reason so pilots and maintenance people don't forget things and have things go wrong when they least expect.

I get it.

Just been clicking and clicking for an hour.

Just done the take off, flown 15 km and then never saw that before... from 21fps to 0.02 in a minute. Then I was back to my desktop.
Really half an hour of clicking did eat 20 frames away?

Archived