Changing your repaints model

LeadingEdge

So, you say you wish you favorite repaint could be a cargo model or the other way around, a passenger model from a cargo repaint. Well try this. MAKE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR TEXTURE FILE AS WELL AS YOUR AIRCRAFT CFG. Here's what a passenger texture file looks like before editing, Please don't do this if your not comfortable altering files, but if you backup your files you'll have nothing to worry about anyway.

DHC6_EX_FUSEPAX300_WHEEL_C.dds

DHC6_EX_FUSEPAX300_WHEEL_S.dd

DHC6_EX_TAILPAX300_WHEEL_C.dds

DHC6_EX_TAILPAX300_WHEEL_S.dds

DHC6_EX_WINGS_PT6A27_3BLADE_C.dds

DHC6_EX_WINGS_PT6A27_3BLADE_S.dds

DHC6_PROPTRANS_3BLADES_C.dds

DHC6_PROPTRANS_3BLADES_S.dds

TO THIS {example, don't copy and paste}

DHC6_EX_FUSE300_WHEEL_C.dds

DHC6_EX_FUSE300_WHEEL_S.dd

DHC6_EX_TAIL300_WHEEL_C.dds

DHC6_EX_TAIL300_WHEEL_S.dds

DHC6_EX_WINGS_PT6A27_3BLADE_C.dds

DHC6_EX_WINGS_PT6A27_3BLADE_S.dds

DHC6_PROPTRANS_3BLADES_C.dds

DHC6_PROPTRANS_3BLADES_S.dds

Just comment out the PAX, or delete for those not familiar with the term comment. You can do this either way and create a cargo into passenger by of course, adding PAX to the script. You can also mix and match props by simply substituting the 3BLADE into a 4BLADE or vice versa. When changing to a 3BLADE prop, you need to make sure that the PROPTRANS file matches the paint scheme of your propellers. Its not completely necessary, but its what gives the different look to the prop when in motion, like with the triple painted 3 blade. 4BLADE models to date, have no custom PROPTRANS dds and are being read from the main texture folder as well as non custom 3BLADES. All that's left to do afterwards is to change the model in the Aircraft CFG of the repaint your working on to a 3bladewheelcargo, or to a 4bladewheelcargo or 3bladewheelpax, whatever, You do not have to change props if your happy with whats already on the model, Just make sure that the texture folder prop model matches the Aircraft CFG repaint model. Hope it makes sense to you. I REPEAT, DON"T ATTEMPT THIS IF YOUR UNSURE. LOL, have fun. Also, when making these changes, always restart FSX.

This will work, but there are several problems I know of that will come up. First when going from a passenger three blade to a cargo three blade there should be no issue, but the textures for the air stair are located on the tail texture of passenger version only. So if you want to go three blade cargo to three blade passenger you will be missing the air stair textures. As well switching between three and four blade versions the spinner textures are different on each model so you'll have problems there too. There maybe other small issues that I'm not aware of.

Perhaps for the painters out there of which I'm one;if we used only the tail textures from the pax version it would eliminate at least one problem then people could easily switch between three bladed versions with just a name change. We could even include appropriately named textures in our file then folks could choose which ever three blade variant they wanted or have both but use only one texture folder. All they would have to do is have the appropriate entries in the aircraft config file pointing to the one texture folder. Supporting textures between the three and four bladed versions is a little more complicated for the painters we would need to copy our textures to the four blade wing template and match the spinners. Not hard just more work for us.

I'm sure your right, I wanted to have a cargo model for Jankees Papua New Guinea repaint and just started messing around. I'm a Cargo guy, so I never checked out the Passenger aspect that closely.

Maybe and it's only a maybe at the moment. I could incorporate 2 textures in my paints a cargo version and a passenger version of the same paint including the CFG's.

But if I go down that road, maybe it will confuse the new livery manager when it appears. So will have to see what the outcome could be..

Best wishes

James (Jaydor)

Archived