Paint Kit

mjrhealth

Hi its bin a while since I done repaints. Just got the gimp. Sort of figured it out. Has a DDS exporter plug in, also does PS layers really well, Understand teh layer thing and where to aplly the new livery. Have being messing around just doing simple things.

Could some one provide a quick list of save sequences.

Ie

Paint teh livery.

Create copy

Merge the viewable layers of copy

Flatten

( do I flip here or do i not need to)

Export to DDS DXT5, has a couple of options,

Thats all i need. Only messing with tail at present but nbot showing correctly.

Thanks

Now a really dumb and final question, why in the PAX ver is teh tail and body in viol on teh Base wht layer. How does one make it show white in the final paint. I can paint a blue line over it but fuselage shows as purple. Hope fully no more dumb questions.

It seems it was, as someone put it, a layer in an odd place. Well this is how i figure things out.

For Giimp users. You need

gimp dds 2.2.1 plug in

psd plug in 2.3.0

You pint the special livery,

Tail section has 3d shading tail, needed as refence then un view before converting.

Once paint finished.

Image - duplicate ( saves you overwiting the file you are using)

Image - merge visible layers (you may need to click on base white layer to get this option to ungrey)

options Clip to image and discard invisible.

Than

Image-transform-flip veritcal.

If you have dds otion

Export BC3/DXT5

Done

I hope it helps someone starting out

Hi Mathis, getting head around paintkit. Would appreciate one thing. A list of items in layers that can be removed. I think this is what is making things difficult. What does the violet layer do, is it needed or is it just for reference, it is on different pSD with different names. Got tail sorted, have body mostly sorted, just a funny at pilots door, as it seems the door is upside down in there so you need to leave a space. I had to draw a stripe to the nose through the doors, the section through the door space shows up just below the door so ill have to snip it out. The wings are rather complex, but hopefully will figure it out. Loving this plane.

The paintkit makes my head spin.

I also can't use that paint kit, there are thousand of layers! This is crazy!

I has expanded long time to separate every layer to understand what is!

So I left it and everything became easier

• Aerosoft

I also can't use that paint kit, there are thousand of layers! This is crazy!

I has expanded long time to separate every layer to understand what is!

So I left it and everything became easier

There are not thousands of layers, and the moment we combine layers there are always people who want them separated. We feel it is best to give repainters EXACTLY the same options as our modelers have. And indeed that makes it a bit more complex.

There are not thousands of layers, and the moment we combine layers there are always people who want them separated. We feel it is best to give repainters EXACTLY the same options as our modelers have. And indeed that makes it a bit more complex.

Yes, I exaggerate, but I have not Photoshop, and in my Corel PHOTO-PAINT is like this:

oACL.png and this format is to take me hours to eliminate the unusual

Just a quick thought, but looking at the image above there are to many layers checked as visible. Uncheck the visibility on the top four layers and it should look better. The paintkit is complicated, but that allows us painters more control over what we are working on. Unless you are very familiar with painting, using groups of layer, layers, masks and overlays it can be overwelming. The important thing is to understand that there are groups with in groups and often layers within layers, and all the details are layed ontop of your paint scheme. Within the groups once they are expanded you will usually find more groups and one group that is special to the livery. It will usually be at the bottom of the expanded group because all the details are being layered on top of it so no detail are lost. I usually copy then rename that group to the livery I'm working on then delete the unneccesary layers withing the group. For example with in the left wing group at the the bottom there will be a group called something like Special Livery - ????? this will contain the textures specific to the livery or paint scheme on the left wing, the rest of the layers above it are everything that make up the basic left wing details. This holds true for the right wing, fuselage and tail. An easy way to start to learn the groups and layers is to turn off a group and see what disappears then expand that group and turn off the individual groups within to see specifically what turns off with each group in turn then expand the group to the individual layers and you can do the same again. By doing this you will see what is important and how all the layering works. I did it, it took a little time, but I gained a better undstanding of how it all works. Yes it is complicated, but it gives experienced painter the most control over what they are painting and want to do.

I would agree that perhaps more of the basic twin otter details like lines, rivets, shadows and highlights could probably be simplifed into less layers because most of that stuff will never change in any paint. That would leave details like placards, markings and dirt as specific groups that could easily be manipulated, then the painter would just need to work on the paint that goes under everything. Just a thought, but after a couple of hours I'm used to it all now.

@spike9, if you search under my name Hani Michal into the library of Simviation or Flightsim , you will know that I am an experienced painter

And I use all paint kit in format .psd, but this is first time when i open it ...
There are to many layers checked as visible and other are uncheked YPdwA.th.png BrivZ.th.png

So, after hours I have this wings kit: 9ly1s.th.jpg

@spike9, if you search under my name Hani Michal into the library of Simviation or Flightsim , you will know that I am an experienced painter

And I use all paint kit in format .psd, but this is first time when i open it ...

There are to many layers checked as visible and other are uncheked

So, after hours I have this wings kit:

My apologies I'd didn't realize you we're a experienced painter.

The first time I opened the paint kit everything was also fully expanded, but not all the layers were visible, only the appropriate ones to make the paint show properly. I went through and collapsed all the groups and it was much easier after that.

My apologies I'd didn't realize you we're a experienced painter.

The first time I opened the paint kit everything was also fully expanded, but not all the layers were visible, only the appropriate ones to make the paint show properly. I went through and collapsed all the groups and it was much easier after that.

No offense, no apologies, I only trying to explain my point in a language that I do not master

And thanks for trying to explain to me

Question is do i need to view all layers before converting. I think i left the reflections out, also cant seem to figure out how to do the spinning prop texture. I use Gimp ,it isnt bad considreing i have only being using it for aweek. Should the question be, what layers dont i need??? besides the original paintcolours.

Any of the marked uv wrap and reflections can remain off. I don't think there wasn't a paint kit for the spinning propellers that texture I believe is called prop trans there two one is a _C and the other a _S for the regular file and the specular to go with it; they can be found in one of three default liveries just copy to your texture folder there are different ones depending on the style of paint you have on your propeller blades. Easiest way is to look at each default and see which one has the propeller you are using. They are easily edited if you are doing custom blade paint.

Archived