Engine catches fire

AviatorMan

This is probably just pilot error, but after following the checklist to the letter, arouind 50% of the time either the right or the left engine catches fire just after it starts. Have been able to make one flight and get both engines started without catching fire. What am I doing wrong?

Great plane by the way!

Must admit never used the check list. Only time i caused the engine to catch fire was when i accidntly hit the start sw without turning fuel pump on. Embarasing. Passengers where not happy. Reset.

I have had engine fires during one of the propeller checks, cannot remember which one. I applied more power than checklist said, next thing I knew, fire alarms and smoke emitting from the engines. Right clicking the checklist item is a wonderful feature and great for learning the proper start up procedures.

Mike

This is probably just pilot error, but after following the checklist to the letter, arouind 50% of the time either the right or the left engine catches fire just after it starts. Have been able to make one flight and get both engines started without catching fire. What am I doing wrong?

Great plane by the way!

I have had two engine fires in my last three flights. Once both engines simultaneously. All FSX random failures are off. Both events were 20 mins after departure at cruise, 70% power, 140 kts. texerrn

• Aerosoft

I have had two engine fires in my last three flights. Once both engines simultaneously. All FSX random failures are off. Both events were 20 mins after departure at cruise, 70% power, 140 kts. texerrn

Well we do not depend on the default FSX failures because they are not very clever. Follow the checklist and keep checking your gauges. As the manual states, these are highly dependable engines but only if you treat them right.

For all who are following this, I think I have found what I was doing wrong. From the systems manual:

"Hot-start: Hot-starts occur if fuel is introduced before Ng (Gas-producer RPM) has reached 12%. The combustion chambers gets flooded with fuel with insufficient airflow. You will see that T5 temperature gets very hot."

I was releasing the start lever immediately and not watchig the RPM. Everything is working OK now if I do not release until the RPM rises.

Archived