Twin Otter approach

datoabesa

Hello I have Twin otter extended and I have problem with approach.when I have turned on alt and approach autopilot line up with runway centerline and plane don't starts descend.then I tried whit alt hold off and again that problem.also there is go glideslope indicator.and whats meter?

If no glideslope indicator is displays that must mean that the ILS frequency is not correctly tuned. Did you double check that the correct ILS frequency is tuned?
Also keep in mind that the ILS frequency shown on charts might not be what you simulator shows. Those frequencys can change with installed addons for example (or simple change in real world so that real world charts will show different frequencys). So please make sure that you actually have the correct frequency for the scenery in your simulator tuned.

Please show a screenshot, propably there is another problem in your setup? The GPS should be visible on the shot as well as the HSI.

I (and the other testers) never experienced any problem with this when flying the Twin Otter in those month of Beta testing.

You can clearly see that you have set the ILS frequency in the wrong radio. You need to set it in the NAV1 radio (the one in the GPS) in order to see it on the HSI.

In the GPS unit. Left hand side, that is NAV1. Please read the Learning Centre for more details as this is pretty much the standard GPS unit.

What you have set is NAV2.

Also please read the manual about the autopilot. ALT is ALT HOLD, this is not a standard preselected alt adjust autopilot. Of course it won't adjust the altitude when you press it. it holds the altitude when you pressed it.

If you won't read the manual at least take a good read of the forums as there are a number of topics about the autopilot and how it works.

You have set the ILS frequency in the VOR2, but you need to set it in the VOR1. The VOR1 is the one in the GPS. Take a look in the manual how to set it there.

http://www.picz.ge/img/s1/1307/16/0/071486e8edd1.bmp here I set frequency and what to do?

No no no. Let's try pictures.

Step 1: Press in (left click) the PUSH C/V knob circled here:

s5bt.jpg

Step 2: You see the NAV 1 frequency area is highlighted. Now, use the circled big rotary knob and small rotary knob to dial in the frequency of 108.9:

jn14.jpg

Step 3: Now press the V (up and down arrow) circled next to the 108.9 frequency to transfer it to the top. Now that frequency is active. Make sure your CDI is set to "VLOC" circled on the bottom left:

ywvd.jpg

That's what everyone has been saying to do. Do that, and you'll be good to go.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I can't find anything about changing VOR2 to VOR 1 in manual and anyone at last tell me how to switch between them?

If you're asking about changing the nav unit you initially tuned (NAV 2) so it acts as NAV 1, you can't. The GPS box that Kyle showed you how to tune in his step-by-step tutorial is the only way to tune nav 1. That's how it works in real life.

Tuning as modeled in FSX is cumbersome, while in the real life box, it quickly becomes second nature, but that's the best that be done. To keep the cost down, (and as I understand it, to replicate the real airplane they used to model this add-on), the designeers used the stock Garmin unit and modified it slightly as described in the manual. The method Kyle described is the standard way to simulate tuning a Garmin 500 and later. The current industry approach of using one tuning knob for comm and nav, and how you tell the box which one you're tuning, makes this so.

I can't find anything about changing VOR2 to VOR 1 in manual and anyone at last tell me how to switch between them?

Vol 2 Systems Manual, page 20. It also refers you to the FSX Learning Center. Just as we have done.

Please do some research of your own. It is very irksome to have someone purchase a complex addon and approach it in a simplistic fashion then ask others to devote their time. At least make an effort.

`Tell me, show me` will not work. You have to learn, and we are talking about basic FSX functionality in the main, we have shown you not only the manual, not only a pictorial guide, but also the Learning Center is ideal as a solution to your learning requirements.

Do come back with specific questions based on your own research. But this stuff is not rocket science. And you don't ask a rocket scientist to light a match for you...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi and first post. Have been lurking here for a while and trying to study all the material provided by Aerosoft plus tutorials on youtube but I still can't quite get my head around the correct sequence for an ILS approach using the Garmin. The Twin Otter documentation (as well as the Carenado B200 one, which uses a similar device) is very curt and cryptic on this and it's really hard to understand which buttons have to be pressed (or disabled) during an ILS in what precise sequence. I've tried to study all the steps, but my approaches are still botched.

What I would love to have is a step by step guide (sort of what FieldMarshall did above, but for the entire approach). Maybe too much to ask for, so I am going with the most pressing issues. That said, I have figured out how to get a flight plan into the Garmin, how to setup an approach and how to dial in the proper ILS frequencies into Nav 1 (on the Garmin). I also know how to get the plane aligned with the runway. But thereafter things still happen to go wrong. So here we go:

1) When do you guys switch the CDI from GPS to VLOC? The actual (real) Garmin manual says, that this is done automatically when the right ILS frequency is tuned in. Is this automatic switch part of the simulation and am I doing something wrong, or do you always have to switch manually? And, more importantly: when? 10nm out? Earlier? Later? Doesn't matter?

2) When should I press the APP button? In my last flight I was 10nm out at 2000 (LGAV 21L via KRO) and the plane went nose up and almost stalled. Did I press too early? Was I too high?

3) In addition to pressing the APP button (at the right moment) are there any other buttons on the AP panel that have to be selected or deselected (for example ALT) or should everything be taken care of automatically thereafter?

Thank you for your help

The Twin Otter GPS does not switch automatically from GPS to VLOC

To setup an ILS approacc:

1. On the GPS unit press the left outer knob marked "Push C/V" This toggles setting Com1 or Nav1 with the leftmost knobs on the GPS.

2. Use the inner leftmost knob for whole didgits, use the outer leftmost knob to set the decimals.3, Once the desired frequeency is tuned, which will be the standby frequence, press the "V (with arrow up/dn)" button to the left of the GPS Nav1 digit readouts. The set standby frequency now becomes the active frequency and vice versa. Your NAV1 radio has been succesfully set !!

3. Set the course on the HSI to the ILS front course.

4. Press the CDI button on the GPS unit until it shows "VLOC". HSI readings as well as Autopilot now uses the NAV1 ILS signal.

5. You should fly on an altitude oin the range of 2000-3000 ft above field elevation

6. Airspeed should be appraoch speed. The best is to be fully established with speed and flaps settings before capturing the glideslope.

7. Localizer capture should be captured before glidslope capture.

9. Be prepared to adjust power as You start to descend down the glideslope.

10. The Twin otter does not have an autoland function, so the final part of the approach and landing must be handflown- disengage the autopilot.

I agre that there is no indepth tutorial for the GPS and radios, but reading the manual definitly shoul make You aware about where the various radios are placed and how to operate them.

Have fun :)

Finn

Adding to Finn's perfect explanation:

-After tuning the ILS frequency, check the DME distance to the runway (antenna) and depending on the ILS chart, fly an intercept heading, usually starting between 12-15 nmiles out.

-Once established on the intercept heading, press APP mode on AP, and CDI button on GPS to VLOC. NAV and GS armed lndicators (ambar) should illuminate-

-The goal should be to capture the LOC at around 10-12 nmiles. NAV indicator should turn from Armed (ambar) to Captured (green).

-After LOC captured, select a Minimum Descent Altitude on the Altitude Selector, and press MDA button.-light should turn on. Fly the descent path as required by ATC or ILS chart as to capture the GS from below.

-Once GS is captured, GS indicator should turn from Armed (ambar) to Captured (green), and MDA mode should disengage -light should go off.

-Now that you are fully established, select the Missed Approach Altitude on the Altitude Selector and press ALtCap button- light should turn on.

-You can fly the rest of the approach with AP engaged, until DH is reached. Naturally you can disengage AP before DH as long as you are in a stabilized path and you have the runway in sight.

-If at DH, or if you are not fully stable on the approach, you must command a Go Around. Press the GA button and add power as required. Aircraft should pitch around 8 degrees up and climb until reaching the altitude dialed on the Altitude Selector.

Tom

Archived