No Fuel Pump sound?

LeadingEdge

I don't think they mapped the sound to the Fuel Pump switches or the Fasten Seatbelt and No Smoking switches. The Fasten Seatbelt if I remember correctly, sounds like the Kingair B200. I tried to add the sound to them, but the switches must not be mapped. If you mouse click on the door handles, those are also not mapped for door opening sound. But work with the check list and exterior views.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Please keep in mind this is a mid-priced product, so not all sounds will necessarily be mapped, or custom ones always made to replace stock ones.The design team had to make compromises to stay within the price point target they had. Finally, it's not productive to compare feature-to-feature with something else is out there. For everything "left out," there were other things included that are modeled in the Twotter Extended. Every design team makes their own compromises.

There were also current RL pilots on the beta team who made invaluable contributions and had everyone'e ear (Keith Talbot, among others). It the sound was really important, they likely would have asked for it.

Fuel Pumps and Doors sounds do not appear in the custom 26-sounds list. I guess should be very simple to add them, but of course will depend on developer's focus and/or priorities.

Tom

• Deputy Sheriffs

Tom, do you have any experience with the real aircraft to suggest an existing sound file that would be suitable? If so, and the contributors to the team agree, it might be a simple addition to an upcoming minor update.

On the other hand, the development team leader is on a well earned holiday and won't be back for a couple of weeks yet. After that, the focus will be on finishing the tundra tire mod. So if there's no good existing stock file to alias to, and it does turn out to be important, it will have to be agreed to, followed by a making a quality recording, followed by incorporation into an update.

There's other sounds I don't recall hearing in the beta and release versions (igniters, for example). Maybe they're there and I just missed them, but if not, the list of possible added sounds could be pretty lengthy. Just a reminder, that everything in FSX costs you somewhere.

Fuel pump sounds are pretty easy to add. Find one you like, presumably from another aircraft- for example I use the default Beaver fuel pump sound as I like it best. Copy the fuel pump sound file to the Twin Otter sound directory. Then open the sound .cfg and add an entry for it. You can copy it out of the Beaver's sound.cfg, it should be near the bottom. For the sake of simplicity, this is what you would paste at the bottom of the sound.cfg in which you are adding it to:

[FUEL_PUMP]
filename=deBev_FuelPump
maximum_volume=8700

Obviously if you use a different fuel pump sound, the file name will be different. You can change the volume as well if you find it too loud or quiet.

Fuel pump sounds are pretty easy to add. Find one you like, presumably from another aircraft- for example I use the default Beaver fuel pump sound as I like it best. Copy the fuel pump sound file to the Twin Otter sound directory. Then open the sound .cfg and add an entry for it. You can copy it out of the Beaver's sound.cfg, it should be near the bottom. For the sake of simplicity, this is what you would paste at the bottom of the sound.cfg in which you are adding it to:

[FUEL_PUMP]

filename=deBev_FuelPump

maximum_volume=8700

Obviously if you use a different fuel pump sound, the file name will be different. You can change the volume as well if you find it too loud or quiet.

That's not the issue. That would be quite simple. Its the fact that they did not allow a sound to be mapped to those switches and other click areas. I have the actual Otter fuel pump file, but because its not mapped, its a no go.

I have fuel pump and door sounds but not for the Twin Otter. However, my FP sounds can be easily modified to match very close the TW ones that can be listened on the videos. Generic aircraft door sounds could be used as well. Let me know if you would need any of them.

Also I would handle those sounds via the sound mananger and not the [FUEL_PUMP] tag in sound.cfg, as this one is only enabled by the ENG FUEL PUMP var, which may or may not coincide with the current position of the switchs.

Tom

I can live with quite a few sounds not being present, doors, fasten Seat belts, no smoking etc, But even the most basic addons usually have a fuel pump sound. By the way Herman, I wasn't Comparing this to any other product and I've made many praises about the software.

Note that the default FSX soundsystem eon't work correct for the fuelpump sounds.

Please allow me to return from my holidays and I will take a look at it.

Finn

Note that the default FSX soundsystem eon't work correct for the fuelpump sounds.

Please allow me to return from my holidays and I will take a look at it.

Finn

Not a problem Finn and thanks. Sorry to disrupt your holiday.

Didn't realize that the fuel pump system was non standard, my apologies for the misinformation.

No apologies needed. Its refreshing when you have others willing to comment and help, from my perspective anyway.

Archived