My two cents about the Twin Otter

JanTenner

I was very appreciated about the release of the Twin Otter Extended as this is my type of aircraft. So I followed the preview topic and was very excited about every new information and every image or video.

When it was announced that the Twin Otter would be relaesed with just one modell and the others being handed in later I had a rather good feeling about. It was the same with the Bronco and there I got a finished (maybe not polished to 100 %) product. And as Aerosoft showed customer-friendly behaviour even when something got really wrong (e.g. DEX) I got the Twin as soon as it was avaible.

First look was awesome. I especially love the cockpit and cabin interieur. The detail is awesome. I was even more excited when I noticed that most buttons and switches are working.

Okay, then first engine start. I had stuff like the view panel and the switch view function deactivated because I use EzDok and TrackIR and I dont like other programms to fiddle in my settings (afterwards I turned on the checklist switch function and had no problems). So I had to search for some switches and buttons a little bit longer. But then I had the Twin ready to start. Start up was very exciting to me. All procedures made sense, all felt like they are important and not just false front. The sounds from starting the engines to the button clicks sounded very believable.

Then I did my first take off. I am no pilot and have mentionable real flight experience. But nevertheless I have quite some experience with even the upper class simulated modells and a good understanding in aero dynamics and mechanics. To me the behaviour in the air is what I would expect from this aircraft. So another point for the Twin Otter Extended.

Then I did some testings on the autopilot. It nearly did what it should. I had some issues with the manual vertical mode. But that could be something aout FSUIPC. I did some tweaking there and now all works well.

To the first approaches. I always fly with real weather. Luckily Scotland had good weather conditions and all worked well. Then I did some flying to Helgoland. There I noticed a strange behaviour. On final after I had my aircraft trimmed for approach speed and proper pitch. Then suddenly the nose dropped and the aircraft gained speed (I had it trimmed to at about 80 kts with full flaps). This happend a several times and it felt a bit strange because I would await it to change velocity and afterwards change pitch if it is about gusts. Anyway, I did some landings afterwards without any wind and it flew the approach really stable. As I said before I have no real flight experience so I dont want to blame the Twin Otter for this behaviour but it could be also about gaps in my knowledge about flight characteristics.

I also did an approach with only one engine and I was pretty excited about how the flight characteristics changed. It was also very believable.

Well, short story long. My first immpression of the Twin Otter Extended is that it is :excellenttext_s: . I now could deinstall all other aircraft cause I know I wont spend much time in other aircrafts. So thanks alot for this great addon. I am looking forward to the other modells but this one alone is worth to me more than the 30€ it costed me.

P.S.: There is only one question left. Where is the doll´s eye indicator? :)

I'm looking forward to this aircraft, bought it today and will fly tomorrow (I have a day off) - I have spent many hours in the twotter as pax and even a few in the right hand seat in a single pilot config in some pretty wild areas of Papua New Guinea.

I again did a flight to Helgoland with real weather. I noticed that whatever you do you have to do it carefully. Take your time trimming it, put it in a stable flight condition then engage auto pilot and so on. Now I love it even more. It feels that much more than an aircraft than most other addon aircraft I have :)

• Aerosoft

I again did a flight to Helgoland with real weather. I noticed that whatever you do you have to do it carefully. Take your time trimming it, put it in a stable flight condition then engage auto pilot and so on. Now I love it even more. It feels that much more than an aircraft than most other addon aircraft I have :)

Ahh that is a comment that I really like. It's exactly what we wanted to achieve with this project. The Twin Otter is a aircraft that pretty old and none that flies now is completely straight. You will need to get acquainted with the imperfections (that we build in) and then you will start to love flying it.

I like it too, but I would add that Twin Otters are currently being produced in Western Canada and sold

all over the world. The Vietnam Navy just ordered several..

I assume these are indeed "straight" :glare_s:

I like the dynamics aswell, they are a little challenging but when you got it, it is awesome!

Mathijs, a small OT question to you: What the heck means "WIDBJ" in your AXE Signature?

ok, two flights completed, the first landing, well, lets just say we'll part that one out shall we :embaressed_s:

2nd flight, seem to be able to trim a little better this time - re calibrated my yoke and increased the sensitivity of the aileron and elevator axes and flew a pretty stable approach and landing, we get to use the aircraft again! :dancing_s:

Now for a couple more flights.....

Yes, it is bit challenging. I now installed the first update (partly manually because it put the files into the Aerosoft folder in c:\programm...). Did another flight and in the approach I had the feeling it flew stable with the same pitch. Pulling or pushing the throttle just led to another velocity but the pitch remained. Will have a closer look at this. EDIT: Maybe it is another thing I have to get used to. it changes pitch but veeeerrryyyyy slowly. So much more better planning the approach :)

One other question, when entering the autopilot without a vertical mode the aircraft often lifts its nose dramatically. Is there a way to have it centered when entering the manual mode?

P.S.: Finally found the doll´s eyes. I had looked for round indicators because of their name ;)

Archived