Could not get engines and propellers running from Cold&Dark

Michael Meisi

Hello,

when I set the Twin Otter to Cold & Dark and do the checklist I am not able to get the propellers rotating. As soon I activate the point: "START SWITCH - ENGINE RIGHT" (in ENGINE START section of the checklist), I hear a short sound that the engine is running up,but I see no reaction/movement in gauges (like Torque or Prop RPM increase) or any rotation of the propellors in extenal view. What do I wrong? My assumption was to get from Cold & Dark to a plane which is able to takeoff only by processing the checklist

Thanks & Regards

Michael

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Deputy Sheriffs

Hello Micheal,

Does the Checklist item "set ready to fly" correctly?

It should start up the Twotter.

Also, did you use a 'clean' startup situation, the default FSX one with the Trike or the Cessna? This is also important to avoid any strange settings inherited from other aircraft.

Hi guys.

I had this exact same problem last night! I exited and restarted FSX many times trying to get it to work. But it was all to no avail.

Even when using the SET Ready to fly option, I could hear it trying to start the engines, but they wouldn't fire up.

I got the exact same thing happening after going through the checklist with ALL GREEN X's in them, up to that point. No engine start at all.

In the end, I gave up and went to bed at 5am (Aussie time).

Today, it's working fine so it's a mystery to me as to why it wasn't working in the wee hours of this morning.

And before you ask, yes I rebooted my computer after installing it. ;)

Mark

Mmm stupid suggestion but I know it happened to me often, you got fuel in the tanks?

Good question Mathijs, but going through the checklist verified there was fuel (100%) in my tanks.

Hi all again

Yes. I have fuel in my tanks :)

I did the following:

- Start FSX with default aircraft (like Cessna)

- Load Airport

- When default plane and airport has been loaded, I select Twin Otter Extended

- When Twin Otter has been loaded all engines/props are running as I configured "Ready to fly situation" as "Default startup situation" => no problem

- Now I select in checklist "SET Cold and Dark"

- Propellors loose RPM and all systems are getting shutdown => all correct

- When I do now process the checklist I got no Prop RPM anymore

Even when I select "Set Ready to fly" from pure C&D situation, the electical system eg. switches on put no propeller rotation

• Deputy Sheriffs

Did you install as Administrator? (right click on the installer and choose "Run as Administrator")

It's a pity that Michael's didn't sort itself out after the full shutdown of his computer like mine did. :(

We also have different setups:

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

FSX + Acceleration

Did you install as Administrator? (right click on the installer and choose "Run as Administrator")

Yes I did install it as Admin although my FSX is not in standard folder on C:/Programme (x86)/....

I have installed my FSX on a different drive partition.

• Deputy Sheriffs

So you have the following folder structure in your "my documents" folder:

"...\Aerosoft\AerosoftTwinOtterExtended"

and what files are in this folder?

Subfolder:Flight Recorder (empty)

Files:

Aircraft.xml

FuelPlannerSaveSettings.xm

TwotterX.asc

I have attached a screenshot which shows the dashboard after selecting "SET Ready to Fly" in checklist. This is the same situation as when reaching checklist item "ENGINE START: Engine right"

post-75040-0-83092000-1373449632_thumb.j

• Aerosoft

Hi all again

Yes. I have fuel in my tanks :)

I did the following:

- Start FSX with default aircraft (like Cessna)

- Load Airport

- When default plane and airport has been loaded, I select Twin Otter Extended

- When Twin Otter has been loaded all engines/props are running as I configured "Ready to fly situation" as "Default startup situation" => no problem

- Now I select in checklist "SET Cold and Dark"

- Propellors loose RPM and all systems are getting shutdown => all correct

- When I do now process the checklist I got no Prop RPM anymore

Even when I select "Set Ready to fly" from pure C&D situation, the electical system eg. switches on put no propeller rotation

Do you have the Twin Otter set to cold and dark or ready to fly on start-up?

Been trying to recreate the issue but so far nothing out of he ordinary.

Michael,

Have you got any axis on your joystick or other controller assigned to 'Mixture'. The Twotter doesn't use mixture, but having this assigned would move the red fuel levers on/off. I'm just wondering if there is a conflict with your hardware and it is overriding what the Twotter is trying to do.

You say that when you move the Starter switch you hear a brief whine of the prop, have you noted the position of the fuel levers at this time. Shortly after moving the Starter switch the appropriate fuel lever should be moved into the On position.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Subfolder:Flight Recorder (empty)

Files:

Aircraft.xml

FuelPlannerSaveSettings.xm

TwotterX.asc

Michael,

You could also try this:

Delete the file 'TwotterX.asc'

This file contains the panel state, and will be created again fresh automatically. Maybe something is corrupted there.

Do you have the Twin Otter set to cold and dark or ready to fly on start-up?

Been trying to recreate the issue but so far nothing out of he ordinary.

I have tried both settings for startup - No success.

What is strange is that when changing the starter switch from middle postion to left or right engine (either manually or by selecting rightclick on checklist) I hear an increasing engine sound, but none of my gauges are moving.

Question: At engine running up - Is there an indicator (gauge) on the dashboard or only sound ?

I have tried both settings for startup - No success.

What is strange is that when changing the starter switch from middle postion to left or right engine (either manually or by selecting rightclick on checklist) I hear an increasing engine sound, but none of my gauges are moving.

Question: At engine running up - Is there an indicator (gauge) on the dashboard or only sound ?

When the Starter switch is moved the corresponding bottom most RPM gauge should start to move up and at approx. 12% the fuel lever should be moved to on.

Yes I use a custom startup situation and no addional flightstick

When the Starter switch is moved the corresponding bottom most RPM gauge should start to move up and at approx. 12% the fuel lever should be moved to on.

Please have a look in my second screenshot here at the green checklist items and the RPMs at zero

Nothing has moved after activating starter and fuel lever :(

PS: In the meantime I have uninstalled/reinstalled the plane - same issue

post-75040-0-95245900-1373453344_thumb.j

Michael,

You could also try this:

Delete the file 'TwotterX.asc'

This file contains the panel state, and will be created again fresh automatically. Maybe something is corrupted there.

NOW IT WORKS!

I have deleted this "Twotter.asc" file and now the gauges and props are rotating!

Thank you for this hint! :excellenttext_s:

This folder does NOT exist in my Documents\Flight Simulator X files folder!

My FSX is installed here: J:\Flight Simulator X\

Should mine not work either? Even though it did last time?

This folder does NOT exist in my Documents\Flight Simulator X files folder!

My FSX is installed here: J:\Flight Simulator X\

Should mine not work either? Even though it did last time?

It´s not in the \Flight Simulator X files\ but right under \Documents\Aerosoft\

Finn

Archived