Paintkit

hermit05

Hallo Mathijs,

Why oh why another mediocre paintkit for an otherwise super product? It's half German, half bad English, extremely cryptic, full of layer inconsitencies and again only in PSD format. Why not like some of your competitors also in PSP format? Not everyone can fork out the funds for Photoshop..... OK, it works with The GIMP, but that software in itself is a challenge.

I just hate it when one has a whole list of repaints on ones wish list and you have to spend endless hours to get to terms with a paintkit out. This one will surely put off a lot of people, it's just too darn complicated to figure out. It really wouldn't hurt to do something about it.

Hans Wilms

Having done 5 repaints so far I found the paintkit to be a little daunting at first, but once I figured it out, things went quite smoothly. I agree there are a few layers that are located in the wrong places, but all in all not to bad. The only things I really hated were figuring out how much to skew and/or rotate the textures to get things to fit and line up properly on the empennage and the nose from the doors forward. Trying to get continuous straight lines from the nose to tail was very challenging and the crispness in some of the lines was lost on the empennage and nose due to the skewing of textures.

I found it not too hard to figure out where everything went layer-wise (except perhaps with the wings file), but I do have a problem with the layout of the textures. Just drawing a straight line on the tail was already a challenge, I can imagine doing it on the fuselage will be interesting as well, as for curved lines...

The main cabin area of the fuselage was a breeze everything is nice and straight, it's only the transition from the pilot doors forward and the baggage compartment aft that gets tricky.

Having done 5 repaints so far I found the paintkit to be a little daunting at first, but once I figured it out, things went quite smoothly. I agree there are a few layers that are located in the wrong places, but all in all not to bad. The only things I really hated were figuring out how much to skew and/or rotate the textures to get things to fit and line up properly on the empennage and the nose from the doors forward. Trying to get continuous straight lines from the nose to tail was very challenging and the crispness in some of the lines was lost on the empennage and nose due to the skewing of textures.

any textures on the nose or empenage won´t be crisp but slightly blurred

to align a line nose to tail requires a lot of work - and the textures are not pixel aligned when you finish

more complex textures on the nose area are very , very, very work intensive

I'll have a look, but it seems the repainters so far have not had any problems!

not quite - I found the template frustrating, requiring too much work to do trivial things, quite disappointing

any textures on the nose or empenage won´t be crisp but slightly blurred

to align a line nose to tail requires a lot of work - and the textures are not pixel aligned when you finish

more complex textures on the nose area are very , very, very work intensive

not quite - I found the template frustrating, requiring too much work to do trivial things, quite disappointing

Agreed! Instead of making things easier & simpler, this paint kit is by far the most frustrating of them all...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi all,

Well, seems we have biased opinions on the paintkit....

I am actually in the process of revamping it. Succeeded in getting everything into PSP format without upsetting layer/layer groups. Next I will merge all layers I think should have merged to start with and then re-position and renaming them to make more sense (to me at least and maybe to others) and add some helper layers. When finished, you're all welcome to share!

I have a camo repaint in mind to start with, let's see how that works out.....

Greetings,

Hans Wilms

I am finishing a Ken Borek skin tomorrow - aligning the skin nose to tail not to mention the nose itself consumed a lot of time , I am used making skins but anyone who makes one now and then won´t know how to do it and end up very frustated.

Thomas I'm also working on a Kenn Borek machine, I hate to say it, but I hope you know all you really had to do was some minor changes to the Aklak Air twin; the fuselage and wings are identical only in blue instead of orange so duplicating the layers and then changing the colour overlay to orange instead of blue was all that was really required. Plus of course you would have change the nacelles, that's what I'm working on now.

Peter

• Deputy Sheriffs

it is installed here:

"..\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Aerosoft\Twin Otter Extended\PaintKit\"

Thomas I'm also working on a Kenn Borek machine, I hate to say it, but I hope you know all you really had to do was some minor changes to the Aklak Air twin; the fuselage and wings are identical only in blue instead of orange so duplicating the layers and then changing the colour overlay to orange instead of blue was all that was really required. Plus of course you would have change the nacelles, that's what I'm working on now.

Peter

:D no I didn´t - but it is ready now so no problem, I´ll make it available later today :)

Archived