Error: File could not be read

Emi

Since some time now I'm getting a strange error when flying the NGX.

After some time running FSX says "Error: Die Datei konnte nicht gelesen werden" (translated from German into Engilsh: "Error: The File could not be read").

Then the scenery does no longer load and after some time it is just a flat surface without textures anymore.

The Error only appears when I fly the NGX so I thought I should ask PMDG support, but they said that the error can not have anything to do with their aircraft and they have no idea what can cause this at all, so they just closed my support ticket, but the error is still there.

Another strage thing about this error is that it seems to happen randomly at random places and times.

Once I had the error near Stuttgard, but when flying there agian with the NGX the error doesn't appear.

I also had it near Madeira already, but again, when flying there again it did not appear.

Right now I have the error right over the middle of Egypt where I do not even have any addon scenerys which might cause it.

So after all I just run out of ideas what might cause it. I would apprechiate any help from your side :)

Last here is my rig:

Windows 7 Professional x64

Intel I5-2500k @3.3GHz (not overclocked)

nVidia GTX460

8GB DDR3 RAM

FSX Acceleration

And here's the link to the thread I posted over at the PMDG forums, where I sadly got no solution either in case there might be any valuable information I forgot to post here:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/412139-error-cant-load/

Thank you for your help in advance :)

• Deputy Sheriffs

This can nearly be everything.

Did you have this error only with NGX or does it happen with other aircraft too?

If you can not track it down to a specific addon, where a new installation might help, check the following:

- run chkdsk, to see whether there are orphaned or broken files. If this doesnt help, then

- run a diagnostoc tool to check your harddisk to see if there are any damaged sectors. Best is a tool that can be run from a USB stick. do not run "quick" checks when offered.

When you get no reports on broken sectors or other hardware failures,it becomes difficult as this error can also mean that your RAM is broken. The only usefull way to check this is to use other RAM which is fo most people difficult if you do not have a very good relationship to a PC store. You could also try a tool like memtest86+. The problem with those tools is that you have to run it for at lest several days (min a week) to get any meaningful information.

Or, as Mathijs wrote, your system got too hot.

Personally I had this kind of error (together with others) 3 years ago and the reason was a broken RAM module,

Overclocked GPU?

As it gets warm in Europe we see the yearly increase in bugs caused by overheating graphic cards.

My GPU is overclocked, but I bought it that way (the manufacturer already overclocked it). But you are right, the GPU gets pretty hot in my system. As the NGX is my hardest addon for the whole computer that could explain why it keeps crashing with the NGX only and not for example with the Airbus.

I'll try cooling it a little better, though I don't have many options left how to cool it even more :D

This can nearly be everything.

Did you have this error only with NGX or does it happen with other aircraft too?

If you can not track it down to a specific addon, where a new installation might help, check the following:

- run chkdsk, to see whether there are orphaned or broken files. If this doesnt help, then

- run a diagnostoc tool to check your harddisk to see if there are any damaged sectors. Best is a tool that can be run from a USB stick. do not run "quick" checks when offered.

When you get no reports on broken sectors or other hardware failures,it becomes difficult as this error can also mean that your RAM is broken. The only usefull way to check this is to use other RAM which is fo most people difficult if you do not have a very good relationship to a PC store. You could also try a tool like memtest86+. The problem with those tools is that you have to run it for at lest several days (min a week) to get any meaningful information.

Or, as Mathijs wrote, your system got too hot.

Personally I had this kind of error (together with others) 3 years ago and the reason was a broken RAM module,

Thank you otto,, I will try this. I had a failure which i thought was caused by the RAM last year already and back then I solved it by changing the position of two of my 4 RAM sticks (however they're called :P ). Propably now the one I suspected to be broken gets in use again as I have a very high memory load all the time when flying the NGX.

I'll also try the other two programms, thanks :)

Hi guys,

after some time of testing I have now removed one of my RAM sticks and right now it seems to work flawlessy. I'll keep you updated.

• 2 weeks later...

After doing some more flights the error has returned again.
However I have been able to lead the error back to FS2Crew for my NGX. Without it being installed it works perfectly. As soon as I use FS2Crew again it stops working again.

I have talked to Bryan from FS2Crew on his forum now and he does also not have any idea.

If someone has an idea please let me know.

Archived