Lukla and aircraft

• Aerosoft

Gentlemen, for the Lukla products (that is looking rather stunning btw) we are trying to compile a list of aircraft that could land at that altitude. But it is not easy going and we are wondering is there is not a person here who could help with that. Apart from the standard STOL aircraft like the DC6 it is hard to find out what can land there (or better what can get out of that airport in warm weather). 9000 feet is not exactly like Schiphol after all.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not the PC-12? I think it can make it, given that it is a turboprop and also a STOL aircraft.

I like to think the Beaver can make it up there with proper engine management. Also other "bush" aircraft such as the Cessna 180, Cessna 206, Super Cub (?), and Helio Courier (Is there a Helio Courier for FS?) all can probably make it with proper engine management. There have been glacier landings at over 14,000ft in real life! Maule M7 can probably do it too I landed that one myself at over 8,000ft on a glacier on Denali.

Can probably coax even the default C172 up there! There is an airport in Leadville, CO which is over 9000ft as well, and many GA aircraft are able to fly there.

Ruahrc

Why not the PC-12? I think it can make it, given that it is a turboprop and also a STOL aircraft.

I don' think the PC-12 has rough-strip landing capabilities...

Guys, please keep in mind that the runway is only 1476ft long and very sloped.

C208, all other default Cessnas, Super Cub, Beech18 and the Beaver are unsuitable for this runway. For example: If you try to takeoff with the Cessna 172 there, it gets down to the end of the runway and loses altitude very fast after "jumping" over the cliff. With most other aircraft mentioned here it's the same.

The Super Cub and Beaver only could make it with stronger engines.

Sascha

Guys, please keep in mind that the runway is only 1476ft long and very sloped.

C208, all other default Cessnas, Super Cub, Beech18 and the Beaver are unsuitable for this runway.

Sascha

Last time I used the 208 there, I didn't have too many problems....Certified ceiling is 25,000ft

• Aerosoft

Last time I used the 208 there, I didn't have too many problems....Certified ceiling is 25,000ft

Yes, ceiling, but that only means you got enough horse to KEEP you in the air, not to GET you INTO the air. I think a 208 could do it when it is not to hot and the wind is okay, but somehow I doubt they really go there. Fs is just not brilliant at this stuff.

No problems at all....I think the reason you don't see them there is because they can't carry mucy people/cargo so it's an impractical trip for a 208. However, it can do it as you can see...

mini-TA-2006-mar-29-011.jpg

mini-TA-2006-mar-29-012.jpg

mini-TA-2006-mar-29-013.jpg

mini-TA-2006-mar-29-014.jpg

This will be the first scenery containing more static crashed aircraft than working ones. This area is a real nightmare for some pilots as you can see here (exclusive beta screen).

@ Kofi

Remember that the standardrunway in fs2004 is much more longer than the real one

In that case, I'll just add 1 notch extra of flaps and a bit more trim 8) ...Now I'll be the first to say at gross weight, I don't think I could do it....

I don' think the PC-12 has rough-strip landing capabilities...

But remember that the Lukla airstrip is paved in real life :).

BTW, Jumping off and "falling" into the canyon is a legitmate tactic for real-world altiport ops? Obviously not ideal, but possible yes?

Lastly- even though the runway is short, don't forget about the slope. This increases its effective length given the superior acceleration/deceleration that the slope gives you.

Ruahrc

PS Love the crashed aircraft. Finally a good use for static aircraft hehe (not a big fan of static aircraft IMHO). Looks like you'll be able to fly SAR missions right out of the box! Please don't "give away" the location of the crashes in the manual (or at least not all of them)!

• Aerosoft
PS Love the crashed aircraft. Finally a good use for static aircraft hehe (not a big fan of static aircraft IMHO). Looks like you'll be able to fly SAR missions right out of the box! Please don't "give away" the location of the crashes in the manual (or at least not all of them)!

Don't worry, you will. There will be one crash site you got to find, we'll even attach a price to it, first pilot who finds it and reports the location (by email) to us will get a free copy of a product of his choice.