choosing the right runway (ai traffic landing)

jd_jay

I appologies if this has been asked, but im a newbie and have only just got the airbus and feel somewhat behind.

I have done the turorial flight numerous times and feel i have now got the hang of things.

i appreciate that the AXE doesnt really work well with FSX ATC due to fligh plan issues, ie not being FSX .pln.

my question is, how do you choose the right runway for landing, and selecting STARs when you are entering the flight plan into the MCDU prior to departure. so you do not end up landing on the opposite runway to AI traffic etc.??

some friendly advise would be much appreciated.

Best would be to set some winds in the FSX weather screen to make the AI traffic choose your runway.

You can't tell for sure which runway the AIs use until your about 70 nm from your destination (ATIS); that's why I recommend that 'cheat'.

Flying 'the hard way' would be to program one approach before takeoff and change that to another one when in flight ...

ok so from my limited knowledge i can do the following:

ask ATC on the stand for VFR take off clearence to get the correct takeoff runway, program in the SID, flightplan etc, and then leave the destination as the airport code.

This will still give me a TOD point to which i would start decending, when ATIS is in range, i could then find out the correct runway for landing.

Enter the correct STAR and runway into the flight plan, and execute.

Would the managed desent automatically then take over for the STAR.

then ask ATC for landing clearence.

Your right, basically, just adding:

Before taxi you can choose the runway to your liking (but 'going with the flow' is advised).

Entering a complete TRANS, STAR and RWY while still on the ground wouldn't hurt; if your estimate is correct you can just head on after obtaining ATIS.

Changing arrivals will erase the old arrival automatically, so there will be little confusion about the remaining waypoints.

Managed descent and NAV can take you to the ILS intercept (or where ever) as long as you lower the ALT in the FCU appropriately.

Thanks guys, really appreciate your advice. Just one thing that someone might be able to help me with beens there no MCDU manual.

In the tutorial flight the instructions tell you on the rad-nav page to put in FFM and insert it into I think the VOR slot on the top right, and then select the closest one.

Do you do the same thing and insert FFM no matter what airport you are at, if not how do you know what to put in?

No, FFM is a VOR at EDDF, you only put it in if you want to land or departure there.

For the other Airports, you Need to look at the Airport Charts, there you`ll find all Navigator Information :)

Do you know, where to get Airport Charts?

Mmm.....That'l cost you........1 million $ Dr Evil, mwahahahaha.

Jokes aside, no problem ;) Its usually very accurate apart from when the winds are calm. :unsure:

Thanks guys, really appreciate your advice. Just one thing that someone might be able to help me with beens there no MCDU manual.

In the tutorial flight the instructions tell you on the rad-nav page to put in FFM and insert it into I think the VOR slot on the top right, and then select the closest one.

Do you do the same thing and insert FFM no matter what airport you are at, if not how do you know what to put in?

You need the right VOR and the two ADFs mainly for departures and arrivals, and as a cross-check for the AAX's nav database.

The most important thing to be aware of (concerning navs) is either to enter the correct ILS frequency into the left VOR (when needed for a landing) or not to have any entries in the left one at all, in order to enable the AAX to autotune that frequency for an (ILS) approach.

No, FFM is a VOR at EDDF, you only put it in if you want to land or departure there.

For the other Airports, you Need to look at the Airport Charts, there you`ll find all Navigator Information :)

Do you know, where to get Airport Charts?

Thanks. I've been on google and you can seem to fi d most charts that way. Have also been looking at simplates for the iPad.

Had a look at the tutorial flight and FFM on the SID chart provided, so I take it you always find the same thing on a SID chart for whatever airport and SID you want to use.

I have simplates for android and love it to bits, worth every penny it costs imo. No more hunting airport charts and most of the are quite up to date.

On my N7

Archived