Wonderful Maderia

kninerap

Hi,

Haveing a bit of trouble with the above scenery. I havent used it in a while and went to fly to LPMA today and well within a 50 mle radius of the island FS2004 will CTD. On re installing, still cant fly into it, but by starting on the ground FS will load, however the majority of the airport textures have been "ripped" away. I use FS Global, GE, and UT Europe - have tried it without these and there is no difference same problems - any ideas?

Many thanks

Richard

Hello Richard,

Can you post a screenshot of the texture problem.

Also can you try re-installing the original gps_export.DLL and GPS.dll which is on Disc 2 in the MSGAME3.CAB file. just drag the gps_export.DLL and gps.dll file over to your modules folder and allow to overwrite. Then see if it crashes again. If it does still crash, out of interest can you try doing a night flight into LPMA say about 0100 hrs in the morning so its basically using night time textures.

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the reply, attached is an overhead shot to best show what mean with the textures. the same aplies for the textures at 0100hrs.

I have tried flying in at night and the CDT still happens.

The replacing of the dlls, these are replaced when applying the patch from MS - therefore using the ones from the original cd`s is not a good idea.

Regards

Richard.

opps - sorry

I have just done a complete fresh install of FS with nothing else but LPMA on it - one of the 3 apps I have mentioned seem to be causing it - I think. Money is on UT Europe - it must have changed one of the Africa bgls as Portugal I think shares bgls with Africa..... I cant be sure.

Looks like I have 2years of Fs to re install in order to find the culprit unless you know a quicker way?

Cheers

Rihard

Hello Richard,

Lets narrow this down a bit further, I have UT Europe and Ground Enviroment installed but not FS Global and I'm not seeing this.

The textures look correct but I think its an elevation problem as it seems like the mesh is burying the airport, is there any way you can disable FS Global in the scenery library to check this.

Hi Shaun,

I have disabled and unistalled FS Global and it makes no difference. I do know that I can taxi around the airport with no problems, no dirt is kicked up.

Bit of a mystery.... maybe I will just have to rebuild FS and see if I can spot where this happens.

Cheers

Richard.

Hello Richard,

Try re-installing Madeira over FS Global as some sceneries alter default files. If another program as re-altered them then it can cause an issue.

Example I had to install UT Europe again over Cloud9 EHAM to get the correct coastline back as Cloud 9 EHAM re-arranged them as far as I could see.

So try un-installing Madeira and re-installing.

What you have is an elevation/mesh conflict since Fsglobal uses Nasa Intel for elevation information and WM uses (more accurate) information from Instituto Geografico do Exercito (Army's Geographical Institute) of Portugal.

So FSglobal has higher elevation information for that sector, thus you see the buildings and the runway but all the other textures are sunk/hidden BELOW the ground because FS2004 allways assumes the higher information when choosing between two mesh information.

Even if it's just 1 centimeter...

Shaun

Ok full re install of Fs done including all my various sceneries and addons, FS Global was the last and the original problem returned. However a little investigation has established that the install of Maderia creates a series of renamed bgl files to"OFF" files in the main scenery/Africa/scenery folder - am I correct?

However I noticed that 3 of these files appear to have been renamed and copies left in place, these been AB943200/FL943200 and AP943200. Not fully knowing what each of these are I removed them and WM came back to what it should be. To see if I could establish which one or multiples of these 3 where causing the problem I have established tha FL943200.bgl is the one causing my problem. I have renamed it as an OFF file and WM is now fine. I do not know what this file does or whether it has any detrimental effect on WM but it appears to work fine without it.

Any idesa on what this file is?

Kind regards

Richard

Hello Richard,

WM does turn certain bgl files off so as not to conflict with default scenery, so when you installed FS Global it seems like it installed its own version of these turned off files.

Shaun,

FS Global creates its own directory and places all its files within - must admit I have not noticed if it renames files. It seems a little odd that out of all the numerous payware and freeware scenery i have - some 200 - WM is the only one to be affected by FSG - Not to worry at least I now have it working again.

Any ideas on what the AB/FL and AP prefixed files are? - I think AP has something to do with the airport itself - the other two I have no idea.

Thanks.

Richard