GA1 - Why are EDDM Runways 700ft wide?

Ray Proudfoot

• Developer

Hi Ray,

you mean the width in the AFCAD file, not the visual width. I am not the developer, but I think the idea behind this doing was, to give the pilot the chance to request the takeoff at the holdpoint. The holdpoint before the runway in EDDM are "far" away from the border of the runway. The FS will show the "request for takeoff" in the ATC Menue at a "relative" short distance to the Runway-Borderline. When you set the width in the AFCAD to the normal 148 feet, you don't get the request topic in the ATC menu, when you hold at the holdpoint line.

I think this was the idea behind this change of width.

brgds

Oliver Pabst

Hi Oliver,

Yes, I was referring to the AFCAD file. Thank you for explaining the probable reason it was done that way. I don't use the default ATC preferring Radar Contact but fortunately the wide runways don't cause a problem with that program.

Knowing the excellence of the GA scenery I can understand that the developers would have done this for a good reason. The ISD developers have done a similar thing for LIRF.

Cheers.

• Aerosoft
Hi Oliver,

Yes, I was referring to the AFCAD file. Thank you for explaining the probable reason it was done that way. I don't use the default ATC preferring Radar Contact but fortunately the wide runways don't cause a problem with that program.

Knowing the excellence of the GA scenery I can understand that the developers would have done this for a good reason. The ISD developers have done a similar thing for LIRF.

Cheers.

Indeed, thanks Oliver for helping us out here, this could have very well caused the support department to go on wild goose chase.