Reduce pitch down attitude during flare

Airbus339

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I can conferm landings are now much smoother :)

Mind to share your autoland methods? Like when to cut off auto throttle etc....

Weird, after I applied 016, still same. Heaaavy landing rate :(

Autoland?

I think I used it once...

In general I switch off both AP and ATHR at 3/4 miles final (sometimes further, sometimes just above mdh)

The AP can also do one, the onest thing you will have to look at is that you turn off the AP early enough so that you have a little time to get the control over the aircraft. Doing so in the last moment before touchdown will almost for sure result in a bad landing.

haha :D

I just made my first landing with the new reduced effect and I had no problems. But because of the nice visibility I had my AP off around 6 Miles out already :)

I wake up again on final, after falling asleep when engaging the A/P immediately after T/O!!! :lol:

LOL

Me too, when established on the ILS or LOC/DME etc. I switch off the AP and fly the airbus manual. Its so much fun and so easy compared with no FBW aircrafts :)

My Landing rate is between -150 and -230 ft/m. Shure could be better, but till now, no one has complained - not even the F/O :)

I start my flare at about the 50ft call, and fix a point at the end of the runway, Throttle retard is between 20 and 30 ft. or with the reminder call.

Specially with crosswind, the airbus is very good to fly by hand. Its a awesome plane and I'm so glad that I still can experience it all :)

haha :D

I just made my first landing with the new reduced effect and I had no problems. But because of the nice visibility I had my AP off around 6 Miles out already :)

You are speaking about the new effect coming with V1.10, or did I miss something?

You are speaking about the new effect coming with V1.10, or did I miss something?

No, the one from the latest hotfix. As I was on holiday the last time I missed the development cycle of it and today is the first day I can try it.

LOL

Me too, when established on the ILS or LOC/DME etc. I switch off the AP and fly the airbus manual. Its so much fun and so easy compared with no FBW aircrafts :)

My Landing rate is between -150 and -230 ft/m. Shure could be better, but till now, no one has complained - not even the F/O :)

I start my flare at about the 50ft call, and fix a point at the end of the runway, Throttle retard is between 20 and 30 ft. or with the reminder call.

Specially with crosswind, the airbus is very good to fly by hand. Its a awesome plane and I'm so glad that I still can experience it all :)

*newbie alert*

When you switch the AP off after your established on ILS. The airbus will no longer maintain the decent right? It's all down to you speed, heading altitude etc.

*newbie alert*

When you switch the AP off after your established on ILS. The airbus will no longer maintain the decent right? It's all down to you speed, heading altitude etc.

The Airbus features autotrim and a few goodies more. So, by and large, the flight path will remain the same after switching the A/P off. But it's up to you to correct slightly when necessary or even to make larger corrections due to changing crosswinds, turbulence, gusts and so on.

Be aware that the FlyByWire will maintain, for example, your turn rate: So, if you induce a roll to the left and release the sidestick, the Airbus will continue to turn to the left. You will have to deflect the sidestick to the right again in order for your left turn to stop. This could make you feel like the Airbus had a mind of its own ...

As soon as you get the knack of it it'll become easier, actually, than controlling a traditional (Boeing) airplane.

Leave the autothrottle on to make your pilot's life a bit easier (speed will remain constant then while in thrust mode CLB). And introduce all roll and pitch changes slowly and consciously - like you used to do in the good ole days when learning your Cessna.

Ok so no need to dial the speed into the FCU if the AP is off but the A/THR is lit correct?

Assuming you 'loaded' the MCDU before you started your flight (weight, cost index etc.): Correct. Just leave speed 'managed'.

You could even control speed down to final approach speed that way by activating the APPR phase from the MCDU and lowering flaps.

Be aware that the FlyByWire will maintain, for example, your turn rate: So, if you induce a roll to the left and release the sidestick, the Airbus will continue to turn to the left. You will have to deflect the sidestick to the right again in order for your left turn to stop. This could make you feel like the Airbus had a mind of its own ...

Erm, that's the same with almost every airplane.....

Ok so no need to dial the speed into the FCU if the AP is off but the A/THR is lit correct?

Only if it actually shows SPEED on the FMA. If you for example have the thrust levers outside of the CL detend it will not maintain speed even though the ATHR light on the FCU is lit because the ATHR is only armed and not active then.

• Aerosoft

Erm, that's the same with almost every airplane.....

I disagree. Put the Airbus on altitude and speed hold (not heading hold) and bank it . Go for coffee and come back after an hour. You will see your bank angle is exactly as you left it and the aircraft will be circling. Do the same in most Boeings and will find the aircraft going for the horizon in level flight.

The knack you GOT to understand when flying an Airbus is that you point the nose where you want to go and it will go there even if no AP is active. If you go close to stall or close to overspeed doesn't matter much. That's why you can jerk the sidestick around so strong. You pull till you got the nose pointed right and let the stick center. The protections will prevent any nasty G load on th pax.

I disagree. Put the Airbus on altitude and speed hold (not heading hold) and bank it . Go for coffee and come back after an hour. You will see your bank angle is exactly as you left it and the aircraft will be circling. Do the same in most Boeings and will find the aircraft going for the horizon in level flight.

I don't know which Boeings you have flown, but e.g. the 767 maintains the bank angle, as does e.g. the Canadair CRJ etc. etc.

That's one of the main targets for every RW plane designer, to achieve a neutral or slightly positive spiral stability....

• Aerosoft

I don't know which Boeings you have flown, but e.g. the 767 maintains the bank angle, as does e.g. the Canadair CRJ etc. etc.

That's one of the main targets for every RW plane designer, to achieve a neutral or slightly positive spiral stability....

The 737 and 747 real sims I flown all go wings level (for safety reasons) and after discussing this with a resident Boeing 737 driver this is confirmed. They will level out where as the Airbus simply will not. I know of no non FBW aircraft (other than some older fighters that killed a lot of pilots) that do not level out.

Archived