Katana,Re-Boot crash.

CODY614

Howdy....

Just got the Katana this morning. And right out of the gate had problems with a serious "crash and system re-boot"

Got a loud "Squeal" from the speakers and it shut down the computer.

And when "Windows" re-started I got one of those "Major malfunctions" reports?

On the first flight!

Then FS 9 wouldnt boot at all?....It just kept hanging at the splash screen.

Sooo......

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

2.21Ghz...1.0GB of ram

MSI GeForce 6600 (NVIDIA GeForce 6600)Driver version, 7.7.7.2.

Creative SB Audigy 2ZS

M.S. Flight sim is 1.1.

Any Ideas?????

Thanks

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Are you sound and graphics drivers right up to date, sometimes people tend to forget to update soundcard drivers.

You could also ry removing the fs9.cfg and restart FS9 and let it rewrite a new one and see if it starts again.

I take it you also mean't FS9.1 and not 1.1

Hello Jeff,

Are you sound and graphics drivers right up to date, sometimes people tend to forget to update soundcard drivers.

You could also ry removing the fs9.cfg and restart FS9 and let it rewrite a new one and see if it starts again.

I take it you also mean't FS9.1 and not 1.1

Have been checking on the sound card stuff.

The Video card....Well...I have some real problems in the past "Updating video drivers"!!!!!....These have been working fine?

Shaun, I'm not sure what you mean about.."You could also try removing the fs9.cfg and restart FS9 and let it rewrite a new one and see if it starts again. "

Could you explain this a little better?Because when I first had the crash I didnt' see promt for the details but I found them in "temp" folder and two of them are fs9.exe.mdmp and hdmp?????Those are the files that go to M.S.?

I unistalled The Katana, and the "sim" fired right up.

Sorry...I did mean"9.1".......

Thanks Shaun,

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

The fs9.cfg can be found in your :Documents and Settings*Username*Application DataMicrosoftFS9 folder.

You need to make sure that you have "Show Hidden files and folders" in your Explorer Folder options to see the files.

Well.....No luck......

It seems if, I change views,From V/C to outside...etc. It does it.

Then when I went to click on the light switches it did it?

At least it is allowing the sim to start this time.

I'm outta ideas???????

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Can you try turning down your Hardware Acceleration for the sound card.

Under the Control Panel open the Sounds and Audio Devices then select the Volumes tab and then under the Speaker settings select the Advanced button then chose the Performance tab and you should be able to adjust the acceleration there.

Also you might want to check your DEP settings, these can be found also under the control panel if your running XP.

Open the System icon in the control panel then select the Advanced tab then under Performance select Settings then under the Data Execution Prevention tab see if "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" is selected, if not then select this choice.

Well...Nothin....Now with the Katana installed the sim wont' boot!

Tried everything with sound card....The DEP settings were like you said they should be.

I have to delete the config every time I install and unistall the Katana?

Otherwise it just wont run.

I just dont' know.I've never had this happen. What am I missing?

Jeff

Thanks Shaun.....

I talked with a friend last night.....and niether one of us could figure it out.

Short of removing some payware that might be causing a conflict.

We'll see what they say at the other forum.

Jeff

So now what?

I have a plane that is unflyable?...........

Hans:

There has to be a fix! The plane was released,what 2yrs ago....Things have changed dramatticly with the stuff out there now. there is a conflict with something in the Katana package....That My current payware and other associated F.S. stuff are not happy with.

I'm gonna need a little help here....

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have the same problems with flying the Diamond Katana. After 10-15 minutes of flying, I get a sound that seems to have tilted and 10-15 seconds later I get a blue screen telling me that there has been a machine_check_error. After that the system reboots.

After reading this topic, I decided to see what would happen if I would use the onboard sound chip instead of the Creative Audigy2 ZS sound card. Guess what: the problem did not occur: after 20 minutes I was still flying. If I have some more time I will make a longer flight to see if the problem is really gone.

Regards,

Arjen

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for the link. I have checked the IRQ on the Creative Audigy 2 ZS. It shares the IRQ with my second video card (SLi) and the Raid-controller. If I find some time I will install it into another PCI slot hoping that the IRQ problem will be solved. I will report how things work out.

Arjen