Differences between the AAX and PMDG737NGX

SquadronLeader52

Two beautiful planes, both well crafted and providing many hours of enjoyment.

I follow procedures and in most cases have enjoyable and successful flights in both planes. I am not sure that I could articulate in detail, to a 'non flight' person the differences in how the two planes are driven.

As I was thinking about it, I thought it might be interesting to ask the community as to how they would describe the differences.

Would welcome all thoughts. Thanks in advance if you respond.

In my opinion the biggest difference definatly is automation in the Airbus.

Flying in normal operations you might not notice any too big differences, but as soon as you "mistread" the plane as the pilot you'll notice it as the Airbus will mostly recover itself.
Also in the Airbus you have to care about much less systems. Usually you can say that if you're in a dark cockpit environment everything is going well.

So the biggest difference is (as Oliver said already) the philosophy behind the two systems. While you as the pilot have all the control in the Boeing this is simply not the case in the Airbus.

A very good example for this is the comparison between Autothrust and the Autothrottle. While you hardly ever move the throttles in the Airbus they will constantly move in the Boeing. This is because in the Airbus the throttles only command a mode to the autothrust system, while in the Boeing they actually command the thrust. In the 'Bus the thrust commanded has nothing to do with the throttle position in the first place. You can get TOGA thrust with the throttles almost in IDLE if needed.

Another good example are the flight control sytems:

In the Boeing you have the CWS mode of the autopilot which is pretty almost what the Airbus does if you do everything correct, but the Airbus goes further. The Airbus actually protects itself against "bad" behaviour from the pilot. It will not allow you to bank further than a certain angle or pitch. Also it'll override the pilots commands if they are seen as dangerous by the system. The Boeing does not have anything like this.

The greatest difference in the philosophies can be seen in the controls itself. While you have a really big yoke which needs much force by the pilot to be moved in the 737 you have a tiny joystick in the A320 which does not need any force at all to be moved.

1. While you as the pilot have all the control in the Boeing this is simply not the case in the Airbus.

2. This is because in the Airbus the throttles only command a mode to the autothrust system, while in the Boeing they actually command the thrust. In the 'Bus the thrust commanded has nothing to do with the throttle position in the first place.

3. While you have a really big yoke which needs much force by the pilot to be moved in the 737 you have a tiny joystick in the A320 which does not need any force at all to be moved.

1. Not the case. You have full control as in any Boeing.

2. The problem is that in a Boeing the thrustlever position is not an indication of thrust. There have been numerous accidents where the pilots just tried to establish the correct thrust by checking the approximate thrustlever position and thereby failed to notice that the engine isn't working at all. That's the beauty of the Airbus. You have to check N1. No way to misjudge the thrustsetting like on a 'conventional' plane.

3. Flight controls on a Boeing are hydraulically powered so theoretically there wouldn't be the need for high force to move the controls. The main reason is only to add stability in gusty weather to avoid unintentional control deflection.

That danger doesn't exists to a much lesser degree with a sidestick, hence you don't need too much force. Nevertheless to move the sidestick to its limit does need considerable force IRL.

A Boeing is flown by the pilot.

An Airbus pilot is flown by a bunch of computers.

But the computers make the Airbus a dream to handfly.

But how can you have full control when, let's say, you want to pitch up to 60°. You can do that in the Boeing, but how can you do that in an Airbus?

But I faintly remember a cheat to turn off the fly-by-wire-system completely - would be the next best thing ...

Shouldn't be there in the AAX anylonger. In the old Airbus X there really was that one ;)

2. The problem is that in a Boeing the thrustlever position is not an indication of thrust. There have been numerous accidents where the pilots just tried to establish the correct thrust by checking the approximate thrustlever position and thereby failed to notice that the engine isn't working at all. That's the beauty of the Airbus. You have to check N1. No way to misjudge the thrustsetting like on a 'conventional' plane.

3. Flight controls on a Boeing are hydraulically powered so theoretically there wouldn't be the need for high force to move the controls. The main reason is only to add stability in gusty weather to avoid unintentional control deflection.

That danger doesn't exists to a much lesser degree with a sidestick, hence you don't need too much force. Nevertheless to move the sidestick to its limit does need considerable force IRL.

1) Even though I know the first golden rule from the FCTM is "The aircract can be flown like any other aircraft", you know exactly what will happen if you want to do something stupid.

2) There may have been accidents because of this, but honestly, it was the pilots fault in this case, not the fault of the philosophy. Even Boeing says that you should only look at the displays and not at the Throttles position.

3) I know the Force-Feedback on the 737s yoke must not be there, but if you compare the force needed to move a sidestick to the full position and the force needed to move a yoke to the full position you have a great difference. So would you still say that this is one of the differences comparing those two? I say definatly yes.

I know pretty good that Airbus X A320/321 is not a failure simulator, but how can a simple action of switching off flight augmentation computers (FACs) be considered a failure?

Nonetheless, I understand that this isn't simulated to keep the product in the mid price range.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I know pretty good that Airbus X A320/321 is not a failure simulator, but how can a simple action of switching off flight augmentation computers (FACs) be considered a failure?

Nonetheless, I understand that this isn't simulated to keep the product in the mid price range.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

This airbus is a "SOP**" simulator. Most of the daily to daily things are simulated. You dont switch a FAC off in real life on a commercial flight.

** my definition, and that means our definition can vary.

This airbus is a "SOP**" simulator. Most of the daily to daily things are simulated. You dont switch a FAC off in real life on a commercial flight.

And you don't pitch up a 737 to 60deg either.....Furthermore switching the FACs off isn't the valid QRH procedure anymore for the A320 series to get into direct law.

BTW, to perform aerobatics you don't have to be in direct law ;) (and you can perform a very nice aerobatic maneuver in normal as well ;) )

So there will be wind forecast entries and valid fuel predictions ... one day?!? :rolleyes:

In basic privare pilot training it's tought to look at you engine indications, be it a single engine cessna, turboprops or a jetliner. I have never been tought to rely on thrust lever positions, you always look at your displays for an indication and you adjust from there. Yes, thrust lever positions give you a rough estimate, if they're rigged correctly but a pilot should never rely on it, hence including your engine displays into your scan.

Archived