Flap Position / Button Assignment Issue

Rick S

I am experiencing a problem with the flaps not responding properly to assigned joystick button assignments. I have tried programming 5 buttons on two different joysticks to each of the 5 flap positions with the same incorrect response from the airplane. This happens from either joystick. I am programming the buttons through LINDA. I also tried programming them through FSUIPC directly with the same results. I have the latest versions of both. I have the controls in FSX disabled and I started out with a clean FSUIPC.ini file by deleting it prior to assigning the buttons. Both LINDA and FSUIPC are correctly seeing all 5 buttons. A side note: The flaps will move normally using the "Flaps Incr" and "Flaps Decr" commands.

Here is what I am seeing:

Going from "Flaps Up" to "Flaps Down"

Selected - Flaps Up *** Indicated - Flaps Up

Selected - Flaps 1 *** Indicated - Flaps 1

Selected - Flaps 2 *** Indicated - Flaps 1 (No Movement of Flap lever or Flaps)

Selected - Flaps 3 *** Indicated - Flaps 2

Selected - Flaps Dn *** Indicated - Flaps Dn (Skips Flaps 3)

Going from "Flaps Down" to "Flaps Up"

Selected - Flaps Dn *** Indicated - Flaps Dn

Selected - Flaps 3 *** Indicated - Flaps 2 (Skips Flaps 3)

Selected - Flaps 2 *** Indicated - Flaps 1 (Skips Flaps 2)

Selected - Flaps 1 *** Indicated - Flaps 1 (No Movement of Flap lever or Flaps)

From looking at the results, it appears that "Flaps 1" is selected by both the "Flaps 1 & 2" switches.

"Flaps 2" is selected by the "Flaps 3" switch.

"Flaps 3" is not able to be selected.

"Flaps Up & Dn" both work properly.

I am experiencing a problem with the flaps not responding properly to assigned joystick button assignments. I have tried programming 5 buttons on two different joysticks to each of the 5 flap positions with the same incorrect response from the airplane. This happens from either joystick. I am programming the buttons through LINDA. I also tried programming them through FSUIPC directly with the same results. I have the latest versions of both. I have the controls in FSX disabled and I started out with a clean FSUIPC.ini file by deleting it prior to assigning the buttons. Both LINDA and FSUIPC are correctly seeing all 5 buttons. A side note: The flaps will move normally using the "Flaps Incr" and "Flaps Decr" commands.

Here is what I am seeing:

Going from "Flaps Up" to "Flaps Down"

Selected - Flaps 1 *** Indicated - Flaps 1

Selected - Flaps 2 *** Indicated - Flaps 1 (No Movement of Flap lever or Flaps)

Selected - Flaps 3 *** Indicated - Flaps 2

Selected - Flaps Dn *** Indicated - Flaps Dn (Skips Flaps 3)

Going from "Flaps Down" to "Flaps Up"

Selected - Flaps Dn *** Indicated - Flaps Dn

Selected - Flaps 3 *** Indicated - Flaps 2 (Skips Flaps 3)

Selected - Flaps 2 *** Indicated - Flaps 1 (Skips Flaps 2)

Selected - Flaps 1 *** Indicated - Flaps 1 (No Movement of Flap lever or Flaps)

From looking at the results, it appears that "Flaps 1" is selected by both the "Flaps 1 & 2" switches.

"Flaps 2" is selected by the "Flaps 3" switch.

"Flaps 3" is not able to be selected.

"Flaps Up & Dn" both work properly.

Hi,

You simply cant use those commands (and its not realistic anyway) simply because of the way the flaps auto mechanism is programmed.

Hi,

You simply cant use those commands (and its not realistic anyway) simply because of the way the flaps auto mechanism is programmed.

Joshua,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am confused about what you mean by "not realistic! How is being able to select a flap position not realistic? If I am flying the airplane without the checklist, are you saying the AAX program only recognizes "Flaps Incr" and "Flaps Decr" commands? The reason I am wanting to program the individual flap positions is because I am flying the airplane using an Airbus Pedestal that has a 5-Position flap handle installed.

For any of you cockpit builders out there that wish to use this AAX software with your existing hardware, this may be helpful. After much trial and error, I was able to get the flaps to agree with my flap handle positions. Since in normal flight, the flaps only go in one direction (Up to Down), I was able to assign buttons that enabled incremental movement from Full Up through Full Down. However, they do not move incrementally in the opposite "up" direction. The Flap switch mechanism I am using is an actual Flap Switch that came out of a retired Lockheed Jetstar. It was perfect because it has 5 positions with detents. But, because the internal switches are not "momentary" type switches, I decided to use the "Desktop Aviator" Model 2235-DP USB Interface Board. It nicely converts a constant switch output to a 1/4 second momentary pulse when the switch is made. However, a secondary problem with this interface board is that it also sends out another pulse when the switch contact is broken. This made assigning the buttons to "Flaps Incr" a problem because it assigned the "Flaps Incr" command twice, once when I selected the switch and then again when I deselected the switch, This caused the flaps to move one position beyond what I had selected. I was able to work around this by taking advantage of the odd switch behavior described in my previous post. I was able to make it work by doing the following:

Button 1 (Flaps Up) Assignment - "FSX Flaps Up"

Button 2 (Flaps 1) Assignment - "FSX Flaps 1"

Button 3 (Flaps 2) Assignment - "FSX Flaps 3" (You will notice that from my previous post, whenever Flaps 3 is assigned, it causes the flaps to go to "Flaps 2" position, not "Flaps 3." Not sure why, but it works!)

Button 4 (Flaps 3) Assignment - No matter what button assignment I assigned here, including no assignment at all, the flaps would skip past the "Flaps 3" position and go straight to "Flaps Dn." I decided to try removing the Flaps 3 switch wires from the Interface Board and for some unexplained reason, the flaps moved to position 3 and stayed there when I selected it.

Button 5 (Flaps Dn) Assignment - "FSX Flaps Dn"

The flaps will go back to Full Up by placing the handle in the full up position.

I realize this post probably is not for relevant to most of you reading it, but I thought that maybe there might be someone else that might benefit from it.

Joshua,

Thanks for your quick reply. I am confused about what you mean by "not realistic! How is being able to select a flap position not realistic? If I am flying the airplane without the checklist, are you saying the AAX program only recognizes "Flaps Incr" and "Flaps Decr" commands? The reason I am wanting to program the individual flap positions is because I am flying the airplane using an Airbus Pedestal that has a 5-Position flap handle installed.

Hi again,

LOL, okay, I thought you were using like buttons on the joystick and assign the flaps individually.

For the flaps, I would simply recommend using LUA Script.

For the airbus, there are technically six flaps settings RETRACTED, 1, 1+F, 2, 3, FULL

Thats why, when you command Flaps 3, it will result in flaps 2 command and so on.

Joshua,

I get what you're saying about the extra flapsetting. Still, only 5 positions are physically located on the flap handle. Not being an Airbus expert, it is my understanding that on the ground, Flap handle position 1 moves both the flaps and slats (1+F). In flight, only the slats are deployed when flaps 1 is selected on the flap handle. From a mechanical point of view, there are only 5 positions. I assume what you're telling me is from a programming point of view, their are 6 positions, which is why assigning buttons according to position does not work. I am not a programmer and don't pretend to be. I am sure not going to challenge you or anyone else why this works the way it does. I appreciate all that has been done to make this airplane as good as it is. I was able to work around the programming to get my mechanical 5 position flap handle to work so I am therefore one happy camper. Thanks for explaining.

For any of you cockpit builders out there that wish to use this AAX software with your existing hardware, this may be helpful. After much trial and error, I was able to get the flaps to agree with my flap handle positions. Since in normal flight, the flaps only go in one direction (Up to Down), I was able to assign buttons that enabled incremental movement from Full Up through Full Down. However, they do not move incrementally in the opposite "up" direction. The Flap switch mechanism I am using is an actual Flap Switch that came out of a retired Lockheed Jetstar. It was perfect because it has 5 positions with detents. But, because the internal switches are not "momentary" type switches, I decided to use the "Desktop Aviator" Model 2235-DP USB Interface Board. It nicely converts a constant switch output to a 1/4 second momentary pulse when the switch is made. However, a secondary problem with this interface board is that it also sends out another pulse when the switch contact is broken. This made assigning the buttons to "Flaps Incr" a problem because it assigned the "Flaps Incr" command twice, once when I selected the switch and then again when I deselected the switch, This caused the flaps to move one position beyond what I had selected. I was able to work around this by taking advantage of the odd switch behavior described in my previous post. I was able to make it work by doing the following:

Button 1 (Flaps Up) Assignment - "FSX Flaps Up"

Button 2 (Flaps 1) Assignment - "FSX Flaps 1"

Button 3 (Flaps 2) Assignment - "FSX Flaps 3" (You will notice that from my previous post, whenever Flaps 3 is assigned, it causes the flaps to go to "Flaps 2" position, not "Flaps 3." Not sure why, but it works!)

Button 4 (Flaps 3) Assignment - No matter what button assignment I assigned here, including no assignment at all, the flaps would skip past the "Flaps 3" position and go straight to "Flaps Dn." I decided to try removing the Flaps 3 switch wires from the Interface Board and for some unexplained reason, the flaps moved to position 3 and stayed there when I selected it.

Button 5 (Flaps Dn) Assignment - "FSX Flaps Dn"

The flaps will go back to Full Up by placing the handle in the full up position.

I realize this post probably is not for relevant to most of you reading it, but I thought that maybe there might be someone else that might benefit from it.

Hi All,

A better choice for your FLAPS would have been the Desktop Aviator's 2120 or their 2237-SP

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Model_2230/index.htm

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Model_2120/index.htm

Both boards create ONE 1/4 second pulse unlike the 2235-DP you mention above.

Each pulse can then be programmed with each of the FLAPs positions you need without any problems.

Should you wish to use FLAPs Increment/Deincrement, you might want to consider DTA's Model 2530 Flaps controller

panel:

http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Model_2530/index.htm

post-87081-0-79488600-1369140740.gif

Archived