Checklist - ALT CSTR - Step Climb / Descent

cgentil

Hi,

When I've an ALT CSTR, the checklists advise me "START DESCENT CL IN ... MILES", so at this time I haven't any ALT CSTR to descent, but yes to remain at same altitude.

There's a CSTR for FL360 and I'm at FL360.

P.S.- I've clicked 1 to see what happens, that's why you don't see "START DESCENT CL IN ... MILES".

Btw, I think at CSTRS, the checklist doesn't have to initiate a descent CL.

Check:

bb1f08fc49f72be46c4ffe23a55025b6.png

Hi Chirag,

again - you should read the documentation...... There is a TOD (white arrow showing down on your ND flight path) at which you should start the descent. Before that point the DESCENT PREPARATION CL should be finished. So there is a message on the the infobar which informs you about this, showing the two opportunities you have: To start it manually from the keyboard using "1" or it will automatically start at ......... (normally 10 NM before TOD).

Regards,

Hanse

Hi Chirag,

again - you should read the documentation...... There is a TOD (white arrow showing down on your ND flight path) at which you should start the descent. Before that point the DESCENT PREPARATION CL should be finished. So there is a message on the the infobar which informs you about this, showing the two opportunities you have: To start it manually from the keyboard using "1" or it will automatically start at ......... (normally 10 NM before TOD).

Regards,

Hanse

Thanks Hanse.

But I initiated the descent, and the infobar "INITIATE DESCENT" remains...

But I will try again and let you know.

Hi Hanse,

And in step climb case?

The F/O always says descent, and says to put MDA/DH...

In my case I've to climb FL380 and I'm 600nm far of destination, and I've to put MDA/DH and F/O and info bar says descent... So...

I've commenced climbing and checklist doesn't continue, I try descent 1000ft after FL380, and Captain says "Initiate descent", so this only works for descent unfortunately, and not well for step descent.

And if I have more than one step climb/descent? The checklist only works one time...

Don't take me wrong but seems buggy.

Chirag,

if you do a step-climb what ALT you set in the MCDU as CRUISE LEVEL? In the MCDU INIT A page you should set your final CRZ FL to p. e. 380 and on the FCU the flight levels you get by ATC. But the FCU value should not be higher than the one in the MCDU (otherwise you should change the MCDU flight level)..... During a step descent you should enter the next flightlevel you are assigned to by ATC in the FCU and push the ALT knob. If you are in managed mode the MCDU will keep speed and altitude constraints....... So please tell me exactly what you are doing (step by step) .......Because you are the only one with a lot of problems I am convinced more and more that it is a problem of handling......

Regards,

Hanse

Chirag,

if you do a step-climb what ALT you set in the MCDU as CRUISE LEVEL? In the MCDU INIT A page you should set your final CRZ FL to p. e. 380 and on the FCU the flight levels you get by ATC. But the FCU value should not be higher than the one in the MCDU (otherwise you should change the MCDU flight level)..... During a step descent you should enter the next flightlevel you are assigned to by ATC in the FCU and push the ALT knob. If you are in managed mode the MCDU will keep speed and altitude constraints....... So please tell me exactly what you are doing (step by step) .......Because you are the only one with a lot of problems I am convinced more and more that it is a problem of handling......

Regards,

Hanse

Hi,

My initial level was 370, which was crz level. Then I had FL380 step climb, also inserted in mcdu cstr, and CL always saying to initiate descent. Btw, when we change level from 370 to 380, isn't suppose to fmgs change to crz alt at prog page automatically?

And is vice versa for descent. And how about more then one cstr? I.e. 1st level 370, then 380, and 390? CL only start one time.

Chirag,

again: Please do not try anything and then ask why this is not working as expected by you. This plane is built to simulate a real aircraft and the procedures used flying such a plane.

• If you want to change your cruise level then first change it on the MCDU INIT A page. Then the FPLAN will be automatically "updated". The other way - liked described - just setting an altidude higher than cruise level at the FCU does not "update" the MCDU.
  • If you for the first time reached the cruise level then the next step normally is DESCENT if you are near TOD. What kind of checklist you are expecting if you change your cruise level.
  • What do you mean by "cstr". A "constraint" is a setting (speed or altitude) which should be kept at a certain waypoint. Those data are covered by the NavDatabase or manually entered into the FPLAN.

Regards,

Hanse

Because there is no reply until today I believe the problem has been solved and therefore will close this topic.

Hanse

Archived