Loss of engine torque

Kevin Firth

Hi Just encountered a little problem last night and looking to find out if I did something wrong!

I was flying for around an hour when there was a noise and I lost all torque in both engines. RPM seemed to be fine, props were still spinning, engine sounds were responsive to power controls, but there was no thrust. I had no failures selected and the checklist showed both engines still ok. I had my power and condition levers set up through my CH throttle quadrant and FSUIPC to include the reverse and feather ranges below the detent.

After the 'incident', I attempted to restart the engines mid air, but found that when put to reverse the power levers would immediately revert back to flight idle and refused to go to reverse and stay there. I did consider it might be an FSUIPC problem and attempted to re-calibrate one of the power levers mid flight after power loss, but this had no effect.

Somehow (no idea how) by playing around I managed to feather, stop, unfeather and restart one engine which came alive with torque again but I was unable to replicate this with the other engine. On landing I shut down everything and restarted from cold and dark and all controls then worked properly again. :s

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Cheers

k

Hi Snave, no it was not fuel starvation either, without stopping the flight, or refueling, or in any other way changing the conditions under which i was attempting to fly, first one, then the other engine began to operate normally.

Cheers for the thought! k

• 2 months later...

Archived