Majestic Dash 8-400

mopperle

I just had my first emergency with this aircraft.

I was flying up to my cruise level, but due to the nice weather I flew it manually up to around FL120. Then I engaged my autopilot. The AP gave constant pitch down input down to around -30°. As I experienced this on the PMDG J41 before I though simply waiting will recover it as it needs to get trim adjusted properly (The aircraft was fully trimmed and stable before, but well...). Anyway it did not and the nose went down further and further. At -30° I descided to disconnect the AP again to recover, but there the real problem began: I pulled back completly on the yoke, but that did not help and it even went down further and further. Only after some few seconds, which seemed like hours, I was able to get control back by trimming it fully up, but then again as I was still pulling the yoke back the nose pitched up very fast and at around -10° pitch attitude the aircraft went into a stall and immediatly the nose went up to 90° and it began a spin. After loosing around 3000ft I finally got control back and was able to return it safely (only manual flight this time though!) to Düsseldorf, where I landed around 10 Minutes later.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause of the AP failure and has anyone experienced the same already?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can anyone explain how I can use the Vnav function?!

Easy. Systems manual 16.10.7, and on the sample flight.

1. VNAV TO

This is the easiest option to use, when an immediate VNAV application is required. The pre-condition for this function is that the waypoint must exist in the flight plan, along with an altitude restriction. Otherwise, the altitude has to be entered manually on the flight plan page, before engaging a VNAV TO the waypoint.

To enable the VNAV TO, click the VNAV key, then the “VTO” LSK. Enter the sequential number for the desired waypoint, press ENTER. Providing the FMS is the active NAV source and the LNAV mode is the current mode, the VNAV function will activate and provide a vertical path direct to the waypoint. Press VNAV on the AFCS panel to activate the mode. After passing the Vertical To Waypoint, the VNAV will attempt to provide the vertical path for the rest of a flight plan.

2. VNAV enroute

The VNAV enroute is the main VNAV function. The VNAV enroute is designed to defer the descend until the aircraft arrives at such location, that the descend to a programmed waypoint will result in the pre-defined vertical speed. Such location is commonly called “TOP OF DESCEND”, or “T.O.D.”.

To activate the enroute descend, click VNAV, in TO position enter the sequential number of a waypoint, then the offset distance (if required), or ENTER, the cursor will advance to the altitude field, press ENTER if an altitude is pre-filled from a flight plan, and is acceptable otherwise, enter a different altitude, press ENTER. The cursor will then advance to the TGT V/S field. Enter the desired descend Vertical Speed, and press ENTER. Providing the parameters are acceptable for an actual aircraft location and speed, the VNAV enroute will activate, and be placed in standby.

When entering the 2 minutes flight time range from a Top Of Descend, as shown at the VNAV PATH page, the VNAV pointer will appear on the PFD. Put the AFCS VNAV mode in the armed state, by pressing the VNAV key on the AFCS panel. Shortly prior to reaching the T.O.D. point the VNAV pointer will become alive, and the VNAV mode of the AFCS will become active. The aircraft will be flying a VNAV defined path for as long as the vertical information exists in the flight plan, or can be approximated from it.

Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause of the AP failure and has anyone experienced the same already?

Sounds a little like....

abugslife1.jpg

I have used Audacity to turn the sound volume in those music files to 0 and this way it works perfectly fine.

As you're german I assume you'll use the german version so let me give you the german names of what you have to do:

You need to mark the whole audiocurve and the use "Extras" and "Verstärken" and then use just -50DB. This should make the whole curve just flat and then you'll only need to export and overwrite the original files. That's it.

replied in quote

Got my First CTD :

Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: fsx.exe, Version: 10.0.61472.0, Zeitstempel: 0x475e17d3
Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: MSVCR80.dll, Version: 8.0.50727.6910, Zeitstempel: 0x4fee68f0
Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000005 - points to possible issues with your registry (do you have a backup of your registry?)
Fehleroffset: 0x0001500a - Is associated with C++2008, uninstall C++2008 reboot and do a clean install downloading from MS
ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0x137c
Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01ce3e9a0cbba491
Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe
Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6910_none_d089c358442de345\MSVCR80.dll
Berichtskennung: 548f85bc-aa8f-11e2-bebd-4c72b9122658
Vollständiger Name des fehlerhaften Pakets:
Anwendungs-ID, die relativ zum fehlerhaften Paket ist:

(sorry for the german)

and i got 2 problems with the dash.

1. with my physical joystick, if its on 50% power, its idle on the dash, i know that this is desired from the developers, but it happens often, when i put the power into idle it gives me reverse thrust.....

2. the second problem is that i cant taxi! only my rudder in the back moves when i try to taxi..and it doesnt work when putting nosewheel sterring to off.

Personally I would be more concerned with the possible screwed registry on my machine. It would be a good idea to read through this webpage and use the tool suggested to check for error, then fix them.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi can you tell me how you set steering tiller in fsuipc i have tried via spoiler under axis assignment and its not moving perhaps im doing something wrong? regards Wayne

Can somebody explain me the function of the Engine-Control buttons ?
When I press them, nothing happens..the thrustlever not move.
And when I move the levers to max. power then they always are in the "red" (over 100%).

Kann mir mal jemand die Funktion der Engine-Control Knöpfe erklären ?
Egal wie ich die Thrustlevers stelle..drücke ich auf die Knöpfe passiert gar nichts...die Teile bewegen sich nicht.
Drücke ich einen der Knöpfe und gebe Schub, dann gehen die Triebwerke immer in den roten Bereich.
Im Handbuch finde ich keine wirkliche Hilfe dazu. :(

Can somebody explain me the function of the Engine-Control buttons ?

When I press them, nothing happens..the thrustlever not move.

And when I move the levers to max. power then they always are in the "red" (over 100%).

Kann mir mal jemand die Funktion der Engine-Control Knöpfe erklären ?

Egal wie ich die Thrustlevers stelle..drücke ich auf die Knöpfe passiert gar nichts...die Teile bewegen sich nicht.

Drücke ich einen der Knöpfe und gebe Schub, dann gehen die Triebwerke immer in den roten Bereich.

Im Handbuch finde ich keine wirkliche Hilfe dazu. :(

Best you download the second tutorial from the Majestic forums, the use of them is covered in them ;)

Archived