Noise abatement profile used in F/O checklist?

Sabre10

I recall it worked correct in Wilco's Airbus. Unfortunately in AXE if you set THR RED and ACC to different altitudes (like it is required in most large airports), the plane reduces pitch and accelerates with F/O starting to fully retract flaps way too early before reaching ACC altitude. Say, if you set THR RED to 800 AFE and ACC to 3000 AFE, the thrust and pitch logic should respect V2+ some knots KIAS, CLB thrust, with flaps in T/O position before reaching the preset ACC altitude. Is it possible to realize this in AXE properly? Shouldn't bee too difficult compared to what has been done. Correct me if I'm wrong here though.

Also, on final in some airports you are supposed to maintain rather high speed before reaching some minimal distance from the threshold. In EHAM it is 180KIAS before 4nm from the threashold. F/O in AXE always goes to full configuration too early and too agressively which often results in overspeed, almost every flight (even without the 180KIAS requirement). Is it possible to tune F/O and flaps logic on final to fix the overspeed problem?

Thanks,

Sabre.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Sabre,

the whole procedure is currently worked on and will be released soon with the next update. So please be patient...... If there are still problems after release please come back .....

Regards,

Hanse

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Sabre,

I just checked TO with the current development revision (will be released soon). I used the A320 with a ZFW of 55.7 and BF = 6.7 tons. I set the flaps to 2 and used a THR RED ALT of 1.364 (EDDF at a QNH value of 1013) and an ACC ALT of 3.364. After TO I set the FD pitch to 15......nand had a stable speed of 155 knots.

At THR RED ALT I reduced to climb thrust and the PFD showed SRS. The FD showed a stable pitch of 15 and the plane kept it. At ACC ALT the PFD display changed to CLB and the FD pitch went down to app. 10 ..... Flaps 1 were set by the F/O after passing ACC ALT and Flaps up at app. 4.000 feet. So I believe that with this revision everything will be according to your requirements. If not please let me know.

Regarding you second "approach" issue. Please give me your exact flightplan i. e. which STAR / TRANS and runway for EHAM arrivals you are using so that I am able to reproduce. But one question I already have: The speed restriction of 180 knots hopefully are constraints of those waypoints?

Regards,

Hanse

Maybe I can step in as I have that problem too. At busy airports with a dense incoming traffic Atc asks you to mantain speed at 180kt until OM or 4miles final for a more efficient traffic flow. This has nothing to do with STARs or Transitions.

I assume that in the AXE the logic of the Checklist is bound to the flight state and not to the actual speed, so flaps setting happens at a too high speed.

Hope you can fix that with your next revision. This obviously affects online flights only (or maybe Radar Contact etc. users) as otherwise you can approach with slower speed.

Regards

Peter

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Peter,

I just checked it with the current development revision. I set the speed manually app. 10 NM before the ILS marker to 180 knots. Then automatically Flaps 1 were applied by the copilot. I kept the 180 knots speed app. until 4 NM before the ILS marker and then went back to "Managed". When the Landing Memo appeared on the upper ECAM the following sequence started:

Flaps 2

Landing Gear down

When Landing Gear down:

Flaps 3

When next reference speed were reached:

Flaps Full

VApp was set

and experienced a nice and smooth landing. The conditions for the Landing Memo are:

• > 2000 feet RA above runway altitude
  • Flight mode: Cruise or Approach
  • Both throttles less then CL detent

So I believe that this is what you wanted and required. So the main new thing will be that all copilot actions are based on the appearence of the Landing Memo (conditions see above) and not just on the flown speed .....

Regards,

Hanse

Hi Hanse,

thanks for the explanation, sounds good. I assume you mean by ILS marker the Outer Marker, that would mean that you have to reduce speed 4m before OM which is not what ATC may have asked you.

If conditions would have to be >2000feet RA that would also in most cases be before OM. But not a biggy. Keep up the good work.

Ah, one other thing. You say "Both throttles less than CL detent". Do you have to move the throttles manually? I thought you leave the throttles in CL from climb until touchdown, AT engaged obviously.

Regards

Peter

• Deputy Sheriffs

Hi Peter,

sorry maybe for my bad expression. On the PFD and ND display on the lower left corner you see the runway identification and a distance. This is what I called distance to the "ILS-marker". I know it is different to the OM and I think I should have called it "distance to the runway". I think this is exactly what ATC requires.

The conditions for the Landing Memo I got from the developer but you are right you do not have to move the trottles ......... I will check this with him.

Regards,

Hanse

Thank you Hanse,

that is good. If you took the distance to runway threshold displayed on the ND (in the above scenario 4nm) that is what sometimes is required by ATC.

Regards

Peter

In the UK it's fairly standard to get the instruction "maintain 160kts until 4dme" from ATC once the localiser has been captured, where 4dme is indeed the ILS distance value described by Hanse.

Phil

Archived