I haven't been playing FSX lately so much. Today, I wanted to do a flight. I started up FSX and it showed up as "adding to scenery library..." (as if I installed a new scenery or other addon, but I didn't).

After that, everything that should show an aircraft in a simulator is just black screen. Including the preview on startup screen, when FS loads, everything is just black. I can click everything normally and I get the sound, but the screen is just black.
(this same problem http://www.flightsimworld.com/forums/topic/170788-black-screen-on-aircraft-preview-and-flight-screen-in-fsx/ - it has one screenshot)

I know a reinstall would probably fix the problem, but can I do anything without the reinstall?

I have the latest drivers, UIAutomationCore.dll in my FSX folder and of course HIGHMEMFIX=1.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Did you install any new sofware, e.g. hardware drivers, since the last time when you could start FSX normally?

Check Windows eventlog (systems and applications) for any anomalies (red marks).

My mother mostly used the computer over the past few days, I didn't at all. She says that she didn't install anything, but... who knows :P
Anyway it was quite strange for me to see the scenery library updating at startup.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Lesson learned: Never let your mom touch your computer.

No, to be serious, something corrupted your installation. did you check the event logs?

• Deputy Sheriffs

Windows 7? If so (hopefully translated correct fom german Windows to english Windows :rolleyes:) in Windows:

- Start, right click on Computer, Manage

- in the upconing window, left panel: System/Eventlog/Windows Eventlog/Applications check for entries marked in red. Also for Systems.

The problem is that there are tons of events being logged, and 90% of them are not relevant, so try to find out if there are events related to FSX.

Thanks, but cycling through that many logs would take me a lot more than to reinstall FSX with all the things, because there are simply way too many logs... thanks for the help.

Do you have any idea what could cause the problem?

Archived