Seahawk - FPS stutter at higher airspeed

alek87

Good day to everyone!

I searched the forum, but could not find anything describing this issue.

Situation is as follows:

For purity of experiment I tested the Seahawk at a small airport without any addon scenery, without any clouds and with moderate visibility.

When I stand on the ground, taxi, hover or fly at slow speed, I get 28-30 fps and they are rather stable. No matter what the altitude is, no matter whether I use external view, 2D panel or VC.

But when I accelerate above approx. 80 KIAS, FPS start to jump from 25-30 down to 10-14. I.e. I fly at 25-30 FPS for one second, then at 10-14 FPS for another second then again 25-30 and again 10-14. This is rather uncomfortable for manual flying.

I tried to play with FS graphics settings, but it did not affect the situation much. Thus I made a conclusion that it is not graphics problem, but some complex mathematics being processed in the panel and heavily loading CPU. I presume, it can be nothing but the navigation system, calculating something.

I wanted to ask whether smth can be removed or switched off in order to solve this problem. For instance, the nav. system always 'keeps in mind' all the LHDs and the oil rig as 'home bases'. Maybe this can be solved by removing LHDs and oil rig from FS?

My system is P IV 3 GHz, 1 MB RAM, Radeon 9600 256 MB VRAM; I've never experienced such situations with other addons - if an addon is 'heavy', the FPS is lower, but stable, not jumping high-low high-low.

Thanks in advance for help.

Best regards,

Alexey

• Aerosoft
Good day to everyone!

I searched the forum, but could not find anything describing this issue.

Situation is as follows:

For purity of experiment I tested the Seahawk at a small airport without any addon scenery, without any clouds and with moderate visibility.

When I stand on the ground, taxi, hover or fly at slow speed, I get 28-30 fps and they are rather stable. No matter what the altitude is, no matter whether I use external view, 2D panel or VC.

But when I accelerate above approx. 80 KIAS, FPS start to jump from 25-30 down to 10-14. I.e. I fly at 25-30 FPS for one second, then at 10-14 FPS for another second then again 25-30 and again 10-14. This is rather uncomfortable for manual flying.

I tried to play with FS graphics settings, but it did not affect the situation much. Thus I made a conclusion that it is not graphics problem, but some complex mathematics being processed in the panel and heavily loading CPU. I presume, it can be nothing but the navigation system, calculating something.

I wanted to ask whether smth can be removed or switched off in order to solve this problem. For instance, the nav. system always 'keeps in mind' all the LHDs and the oil rig as 'home bases'. Maybe this can be solved by removing LHDs and oil rig from FS?

My system is P IV 3 GHz, 1 MB RAM, Radeon 9600 256 MB VRAM; I've never experienced such situations with other addons - if an addon is 'heavy', the FPS is lower, but stable, not jumping high-low high-low.

Thanks in advance for help.

Best regards,

Alexey

I would not see any obvious reason for your effect other than the simple fact the chopper is very heavy on a lot of parts but above all on graphics memory, what you could see is a fast swap of textures. As you fly more ground textures need to be loaded and this could clearly cause an effect like that. It's easy to test.... go to the middle of the Pacific and make a flight file there. Make sure that that is your startup flight. Now start FS and see what happens. There can be hardly any ground textures loaded at that time.

Thanks for advice, Matjis. Seems to be the case - FPS are stable over water.

Well, it means that I just need a new computer.

Best regards,

Alexey

Hmm your computer looks fairly fine to me. But a Radeon 9600 with 256MB of RAM? Are you sure about that?

I would say a new graphics card would help the most.