What left turning tendency ?

jfri

I have just purchased this plane and one thing I really don't recognise from what I have read about. It's supposed to have a left turning tendency more than other planes if I understood correctly. I experience almost no left turning thendency at all after trying out the three first models. I certainly don't need to use my rudder pedals when climbing which I have read should be the case.

I use default load and no I havn't auto rudder checked. Could something be nwrong with my installation ? Have the latest update.

Realism settings? Not starting with a saved flight that has yaw damper engaged?

The realism settings was all sliders fully right according to the manual.

I don't understand what you mean with yaw damper engaged. I find no such control in the plane.

I might add that in your Katana 20-100 4X I do experience a clear left turning tendency during climb.

As far as I know there was an update which added a model with almost no left turning tendency for those who didn't like it. Maybe you used this one by mistake?

Snave was asking if you started the flight with a default FSX aircraft or from a previous save with an airplane which might have had a yaw damper (engaged). The Robin does not feature a yaw damper and thus you can't disable it while flying the Robin...

Solution:

Start with a fresh free flight (not a pre-saved situation) and a default aircraft (preferably a simple one like the Cessna), then load the Robin and try again. If you wish, you could save that situation after loading the Robin for future use as default.

Concerning the Katana 4X: this bird uses it's own set of variables on top of the FSX ones which most often overrule the FSX settings. As I do not (yet) own the Robin, I don't know about the techniques used with that airplane but I trust the guys that they did a good job with the flight model...

Snave was asking if you started the flight with a default FSX aircraft or from a previous save with an airplane which might have had a yaw damper (engaged). The Robin does not feature a yaw damper and thus you can't disable it while flying the Robin...

Solution:

Start with a fresh free flight (not a pre-saved situation) and a default aircraft (preferably a simple one like the Cessna), then load the Robin and try again. If you wish, you could save that situation after loading the Robin for future use as default.

Concerning the Katana 4X: this bird uses it's own set of variables on top of the FSX ones which most often overrule the FSX settings. As I do not (yet) own the Robin, I don't know about the techniques used with that airplane but I trust the guys that they did a good job with the flight model...

I never used a pre saved situation. After making more testflights I have indeed seen a left turning tendency but it was different from what I expected. I didn't start immidiately but after a little while with an increasing left bank that eventually turn coordinator ball indicating that I needed left rudder to make the left turn coordinated. I found the most practical compensation was to use the aileron. Once I tried using only the rudder pedals to straighten the plane it went into a increasing right bank.

This is not the intended behaviour.

It should yaw left which can be seen on the ball. (And it rolls a bit of course) You must use the rudder to fly coordinated when flying straight and level.

Bests, Joachim

And it does it very well, even if using the p-factor scalar and not really any asymmetric slipstream effects (not natively modelled in FSX...).

It's probably the best prop GA I have used in replicating prop slipstream effects so close to real...

The real thing can become fatigating with right rudder being required during climbs and about all high power situations....

This is not the intended behaviour.

It should yaw left which can be seen on the ball. (And it rolls a bit of course) You must use the rudder to fly coordinated when flying straight and level.

Bests, Joachim

That leads to the question what is wrong with my simulation ? Below are two pics with the EVEM one immidiately after takeoff and the second som eten seconds later. I first see a left bank and then the ball start going to the left side. When I fly straight and level I don't need to use the rudder to keep the plane straight. If this is not as it should I wan't to know how I can make things work correctly.

post-1195-0-18384800-1362701358_thumb.gi

post-1195-0-83321000-1362701383_thumb.gi

Did you accept the gauge to be trusted at startup?

Did you modify your files in any way?

Did you try a complete reinstall?

Please try to load a flight (from startup screen) with the default Cesna, and then return to the Robin.

-Note, the left turn tendency is the stronger, the more power you use.

Did you accept the gauge to be trusted at startup?

Did you modify your files in any way?

Did you try a complete reinstall?

Please try to load a flight (from startup screen) with the default Cesna, and then return to the Robin.

-Note, the left turn tendency is the stronger, the more power you use.

Of corse I accepted the gauges to be trusted.

I havn't modified any files for DR400

I will try a reinstall. One thing comes to mind here. I first installed the main installation and then immdiately run the upgrade without first running FSX.

I have created flights from the startup screen and loading the DR400 with the default Cessna first loaded.

I was flying with fullpower (once the engine stopped in flight)

I have actually ocassionally seen the attitude ball wandering to right. Trying to press right rudder made it swing very violently to the left side instead. The rudderpedals feels very sensitive in DR400 (and also the Katana 4X)

I first installed the main installation and then immdiately run the upgrade without first running FSX

DON'T run the "upgrade" It is intended for people who do not use rudder pedals.

It kills the left turning tendency.

Bests, Joachim

Eppur si muove!!! At least mine does (the TC ball), a LOT :-)

If possible I would only ask for less roll from torque, which is not really the case with the real dr-400. As a matter of fact, most GA prop aircraft show no roll from engine torque, unless throttle is more abruptly increased / decreased, while they do show a lot of yaw from asymmetric slipstream and p-factor at higher AoA and lower speeds, like during takeoff...

Archived