Cold cockpit problem with Diamond Katana DA20

Analias

Hello,

I recently purchased your Diamond Katana DA20 addon for FS2004 - nice product. Everything works fine with the exception of starting with a cold cockpit and going through the pre engine startup procedure. Using Ctrl-E works, but starting from a cold cockpit doesn't.

With all the switches in the off position, when I switch on the battery/alt switch on I should at least see the generator and fuel pressure warning lamps (as per the included checklist). I get no response at all.

I tried Ctrl-E and then shutting down by killing the mixture (yes I know there's no mixture on the real DA20) and trying to startup again. No avail, same behavior. In fact even when the engine is running after a Ctrl-E, none of the electrical switches work. I can switch everything to off and the engine, lights, avionics, continue to run. I can only get the lights to respond by hitting the 'L' button.

I have tried reinstalling the add-on with out luck. I even resorted to completely reinstalling FS2004 from scratch and reinstalling all of my add-ons (to fix this problem and a scenery issue I had) - a five hour chore. Again, no luck.

Since I'm using your DA20 add-on as a procedural trainer I would like this to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Freeman (Analias)

Hello Freeman,

Seems to be working fine here, the Generator and fuel light illuminate red in the top center of the panel when the BAT switch is toggled.

Can you try loading the default flight at KSEA then completely shutting down the cessna and then load the Katana and see what happens.

Interesting. When I try the procedure that you suggested it worked once until I saved the flight and reloaded it. I then got the same behavior.

What I did discover is if I start my flight in VC mode the switches fail to work. If I switch to 2D cockpit (which works) and simply switch back to VC mode without pressing any switches it works.

It has something to do with starting in VC mode. The work around is to switch to 2D and back to VC. It looks like something isn't being initialized correctly when starting in VC.

I hope this helps others and your team to fix the problem. I have a work around at least.

BTW, thanks for the quick and insightful response.

-Freeman (Analias)

Interesting. When I try the procedure that you suggested it worked once until I saved the flight and reloaded it. I then got the same behavior.

What I did discover is if I start my flight in VC mode the switches fail to work. If I switch to 2D cockpit (which works) and simply switch back to VC mode without pressing any switches it works.

It has something to do with starting in VC mode. The work around is to switch to 2D and back to VC. It looks like something isn't being initialized correctly when starting in VC.

I hope this helps others and your team to fix the problem. I have a work around at least.

BTW, thanks for the quick and insightful response.

-Freeman (Analias)

ALL FS aircraft should be started in 2d panel, not VC mode. The initial gauge call reads made by FS are dependant on the 2d panel. If the aircraft does NOT have a 2d panel you STILL have to go to the 2d panel screen.

This is SOP in FS and for the same reason, if realism is your goal you shjould always save the flight in 2d cockpit mode, not VC or spot view.