Best FSX.cfg tweaks and settings

Hi,

I would like to request to an expert which are the best FSX.cfg tweaks and settings for this hardware setup:

Processor: Intel i5 3570K

Graphic card: Asus Nvidia GTX 670 TOP

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe

RAM: 8GB

• Deputy Sheriffs

Chirag, there are no "best tweaks and settings" as it always depends on your whole environment. If you plan to upgrade your System I would recommend the following steps:

1. delete (and backup) your existing fsx.cfg

2. run FSX and let it built a new one

3. add the line HIGHMEMFIX=1 to your cdg in the [GRAPHICS] section

4. see how this works, if you are satisfied don't change anything else

5. got to the website http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html and let it tweak your cfg. and see how it works

general recommendation:

- don't tweak your system to death

- don't apply tweaks where you do not exactly understand what they are doing

Also you should read this:

http://asn.aerosoft.com/?page_id=1997

http://www.simforums.com/forums/settings-for-new-drivers-updated-v1959_topic36586.html

and maybe this http://forum.avsim.net/topic/324786-nvidia-configuration-guide-inspector-2xxxx-drivers-version-20-explanations-of-all-settings/

Thanks.

Just one thing, NVidia inspector helps a lot!

Well, what does Highmemfix, it is essencial?

Now with FSX stock cfg I can obtain around 40-50 fps at AXE cockpit, with scenery sliders to right, should I put Highmemfix?

I'm using this NVidia inspector setting:

af-testing3.jpg

As said, highmem=1 is essential

Your CPU is a quadcore without hyper threading, so you might want to try an affinity mask of 14, which will effectively switch off core 0, freeing it up for fibers.

The 670 works really well with buffer pools set to 0, as it can cope well with the data fed from the CPU directly, [bufferpools]

UsePools=0

Try using nvidia inspector.

I use in-game anisotropic filtering, inspector settings for antialiasing, and am playing with 2xSGSS, which helps to remove shimmering. The performance loss of 4xSGSS is not worth the image quality gain in my opinion, but you should see what you get. I have the i7-2700K running at 4.8GHz currently.

A

Andrew Entwistle

As said, highmem=1 is essential

Your CPU is a quadcore without hyper threading, so you might want to try an affinity mask of 14, which will effectively switch off core 0, freeing it up for fibers.

The 670 works really well with buffer pools set to 0, as it can cope well with the data fed from the CPU directly, [bufferpools]

UsePools=0

Try using nvidia inspector.

I use in-game anisotropic filtering, inspector settings for antialiasing, and am playing with 2xSGSS, which helps to remove shimmering. The performance loss of 4xSGSS is not worth the image quality gain in my opinion, but you should see what you get. I have the i7-2700K running at 4.8GHz currently.

A

Andrew Entwistle

Thanks.

Now it's fine with NVidia Inspector settings.

Works well.

Many people said me to put a I5 3570K, and leave I7 3770K, because would be waste of money.

• Deputy Sheriffs

This thread is now taking a direction that it seems best to move it to a more appropriate forum. As the second line says under the General Forum, it's NOT for support.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've a little thing. The autogen loading is a little slow. Loads one part, then other, slowly, slowly. Any tweak for this?

Only tweak I've is highmemfix=1 in fsx.cfg

I've W7 64 bit.

That's why I mentioned it:

W7 isn't fully compatible with FSX. Vista 32bit was. So you need this older dll to place it in your FSX root folder. It'll be used by FSX only; all your other applications will use the default W7 dll.

"This issue may be caused by the default Windows 7 uiautomationcore.dll file, which resides in the Windows system folder and is involved in view switching and menu use.

Unzip the following file into your root FSX folder - this is the Vista 32-bit version of the file and it does not have the problems the Win7 version does:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28441/UIAutomationCore.zip

As long as the dll file is in the FSX root folder it will use this version instead of the Windows system folder one."

See my enhanced post above. Link is from PMDG support.

So for example if I take my own file at C:\Windows\Syswow64\uiautomationcore.dll

This don't work, right?

EDIT: Yes this don't work, I've to take an .dll of a 64 bit W Vista.

And this one is of 32 bit.

So for example if I take my own file at C:\Windows\Syswow64\uiautomationcore.dll

This don't work, right?

EDIT: Yes this don't work, I've to take an .dll of a 64 bit W Vista.

And this one is of 32 bit.

Your W7 dll will work most of the time. But sooner or later your FSX will freeze with only sound playing. No key strokes will work anymore. You need to restart FSX.

The other dll is needed to prevent this. Vista 32bit is fine, since FSX is a 32bit application anyway. Just put it into your FSX root folder, so that no other application will use it (they use the original W7 dll).

You may compare my statements to the AVSIM hardware FSX guide: They state the same as PMDG.

Your W7 dll will work most of the time. But sooner or later your FSX will freeze with only sound playing. No key strokes will work anymore. You need to restart FSX.

The other dll is needed to prevent this. Vista 32bit is fine, since FSX is a 32bit application anyway. Just put it into your FSX root folder, so that no other application will use it (they use the original W7 dll).

You may compare my statements to the AVSIM hardware FSX guide: They state the same as PMDG.

So I will put this one http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28441/UIAutomationCore.zip :)

hello mates pilots can anyone please tell us step by step process how to delete fsx,cfg and let the sistem build another where do we find it i got lots of freezing problems sometimes even for 20 mintues and some other times just few seconds

intel® I7 CPU 860 @2.80GHz /MEMORY RAM 8.00GB AMD READEON HD6900 W7 64bit/total hard disk 917 GB/ reg.FSUIPC4

(...)

1. delete (and backup) your existing fsx.cfg

2. run FSX and let it built a new one

3. add the line HIGHMEMFIX=1 to your cdg in the [GRAPHICS] section

4. see how this works, if you are satisfied don't change anything else

(...)

You may want to change the order of 1. - backup first, delete second ... ;-)

3. should read "cfg", of course.

OS dependent, the path to your cfg will be like this: C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX (or similar)

Hi,

Sometimes my textures/building, are flashing...

Any ideia about this?

I'm not using DX10.

And don't have any ground add-on.

All default.

Using nvidia inspector and highmemfix=1.

I tried lot of things, but no results.

Some objects continue flashing/flickering.

Maybe drivers problem? I'm using v314.07 of nvidia.

Is it default FSX autogen buildings doing the flashing? And is it happening while far away but not close up, or both far away and close up?

Is it default FSX autogen buildings doing the flashing? And is it happening while far away but not close up, or both far away and close up?

Yes, FSX autogen buildings, with gate number plaque and with AES dock system, only far away.

Yes, FSX autogen buildings, with gate number plaque and with AES dock system, only far away.

Two things to consider then. If you have "Ground scenery casts shadows" on in your FSX settings, try turning that off, and see if it helps. Secondly, are you using anti-aliasing/anisotropic filtering through FSX, or through something like Nvidia Inspector? Try using the regular FSX AA/AF and see if that helps.

Archived