Left turning tendancies of DR400

Steve451

the weights are in the center, because FSX' handling is weird in case of asymetrical weights. Your "fix" proves this. - The imballance is completely unrealistic...

Your "fix" is NOT RECOMMENDED, because it fixes the wrong number, you can't work out a yaw "problem" with a roll imput.

There will be files online tomorrow.

Bests, Joachim

P.S. Thanks anyway, that you (and others) try to help customers, who don't like the tendency :-)

Got the fix, installed, and thank you very much for all your efforts! The plane is now wonderfully easy to fly, although, yes, the Robin does lose a bit

of "personality" in the process. Unfortunately, in my situation, with my (cheap) controls and no foot pedals, there's really no other choice.

Even still, this certainly is an addictive fun little plane to fly, and is rapidly becoming one of my favourite VFR sight seeing planes. It's certainly

worth the purchase price in my book.

And by the way, if no one else has mentioned, great VC textures! Although just eye candy, they really add to the realism.

As for the weight change, yes, it was just a quickie ersatz fix to get into the air. It actually does work to stop the left turn tendency, I wouldn't suggest without trying, But as said, it's far from perfect, and all academic now.

But I just had a thought: I wonder if there's a freeware add on some place that adds yaw trim control to planes that don't have it. There are dedicated

commands in FSX for yaw trim left or right if planes have it programmed in. If there was such an add on, then people without foot pedals could keep use the original sim, and use the add on yaw trim control to in effect add rudder compensation. I'll search around, maybe there's some add on like that buried somewhere in AVsim.

In any case, thanks again for a great little plane, and the continued support for it!

- Rob

Well, as you can see in the 3d model, the flaps are VERY small compared to any Cessna or Piper.

I am also not sure if flaps1 does really help on short take offs :D Manual says yes...

Well, the size of the flaps has nothing to do with their effectiveness..

Compare the stall speeds of the C172 (50kts/44kts) with the DR400 (51kts/45kts) and you will see that both have exactly the same 6kts difference between the flaps up and flaps down stall speed.

Flapless takeoffs are perfectly possible in the Robin, the only real reason to use Flap 1 is for reduced runway distance which can be handy on wet or muddy strips. I've never used flaps in a real Robin on tarmac for takeoff.

Lift is not an issue with the Jodel-style wing, so the flaps have little lift effect

Snaves claim: 'Lift is not an issue with the Jodel-style wing, so the flaps have little lift effect' is simply wrong.

The POH contains take off performance only for flaps 1 and according to the POH flaps 1 are standard for every take off.

It's unfortunately interesting to see how many people apparently disregard the operating manuals IRL :(

I always fly the real Robin according to the POH. It's a good habit and much more professional if you want to transition to bigger planes later on.

Well, on normal take offs from asphalt I NEVER use flaps. (instead of training short take offs)

The manual does NOT advise to use flaps. It only says, the best climb angle it achieved with flaps one. But it also says, not to do it for a long time. It makes no sense anyway.

Flaps one may make sense on short take offs, but not on normal ones with plenty space and long runways.

On grass strips, flaps one is certainly better. I recommend to unload the nose wheel while accelerating, rotate asap, lift of asap, accelerate, climb, keep accelerating up to 150 kph and then flaps in.

Bests, Joachim

Well, the size of the flaps has nothing to do with their effectiveness..

Compare the stall speeds of the C172 (50kts/44kts) with the DR400 (51kts/45kts) and you will see that both have exactly the same 6kts difference between the flaps up and flaps down stall speed.

Snaves claim: 'Lift is not an issue with the Jodel-style wing, so the flaps have little lift effect' is simply wrong.

The POH contains take off performance only for flaps 1 and according to the POH flaps 1 are standard for every take off.

It's unfortunately interesting to see how many people apparently disregard the operating manuals IRL :(

I always fly the real Robin according to the POH. It's a good habit and much more professional if you want to transition to bigger planes later on.

Oh really?

http://robin-flying-group.org/Robin_Flying_Group/DR400_files/Robin%20DR400%20Operating%20Notes.pdf

http://www.ailes08.fr/documents/English_Checklist_Dr480.pdf

I wasn't talking about D-EVEM's manual, neither was Simon. I read D-EVEM's manual, yes it doesn't explicitly say first notch of flaps for take off.

But it's an old manual and there have been revisions of the DR 400 manuals.

I was referring to them, sorry.

I don't say taking off with no flaps is prohibited or something, I just wanted to point out that the FM says first notch flaps for take off(as far as I understand it).

Bests

Marcus

post-32087-0-15164300-1360944927_thumb.jpost-32087-0-53260100-1360944945_thumb.j

post-32087-0-29696800-1360944961_thumb.jpost-32087-0-98698800-1360944988_thumb.j

Archived