question about the generator

ardix

Hello, I have a question about this aircraft. I see there is a GENERATOR switch in the cockpit. I've found little info in the english manual and I can't speak German, so the original D-EVEM manual is a no-go for me.

Is the Robin equipped with a real GENERATOR, or is it only a synonym of ALTERNATOR?

I mean, an alternator is more efficient and modern than a generator, indeed aircrafts like C172 and PA28 are equipped with alternators, not generators. Is the Robin different so?

And also (question about real operations of the aircraft), why in the checklist I read "generator OFF" for engine start?

I have real life experience in both Cessna and Piper, and in both of them i always start the engine with MASTER ON (BATT+ALT). Is there a specific reason to switch on the generator/alternator only after the engine has started?

Thanks for your answers. :)

An Alternator generates AC current, which then is rectified to DC current.

A Generator generates DC current, but is less efficient than an Alternator.

The reason that the generator should be off is to prevent the generator/alternator from supllying currentspikes into the electrical system, cause these spikes can destroy electronic equipment.

On other aircraft there is an avionics switch that should be off during startup for the very same reason.

Finn

An Alternator generates AC current, which then is rectified to DC current.

A Generator generates DC current, but is less efficient than an Alternator.

The reason that the generator should be off is to prevent the generator/alternator from supllying currentspikes into the electrical system, cause these spikes can destroy electronic equipment.

On other aircraft there is an avionics switch that should be off during startup for the very same reason.

Finn

Ok now I understand. Thank you Finn.

One more doubt!

The aircraft is not equipped with an avionic master. Switching off radios/transponder/gps is not enough to prevent damage with engine start?

I ask this because i used to fly a PA28-140 equipped with a master switch (Alternator + Battery) and without an avionic master. What I've always done was to switch on the master (so the alternator too), be sure the electronic equipments are all switched off and then start the engine.

I know this has nothing to do with FSX, but I'd like to share opinions with you.

Thanks.

Thank you Joachim for answering. I'm not such a pro talking about aircraft electrical systems.

Anyway seems that the generator switch is labelled as alternator in the sim texture. LOL!

generator_alternator_robin.jpg

There is no answer,

http://www.7ts0.com/manuals/lycoming/320/0-320-A-E-_PC-203-1.pdf

Early model engines had generators installed with brackets mounted on the crankcase through-bolts. At some point in the

mid-60’s Lycoming redesigned the crankcase with a mounting pad for an alternator or generator fitting.

If the engine does not have this mounting pad, it can be retrofitted via a kit. Or not. Later engines may, or may not, be fitted with the Alternator. The O-320 is a modular engine system. Anything the other side of the modern fue-injected variants and you've got what is given, and what you want to change it to be.

But as there is obviously little electrical knowledge on display here let me summarise the issue thus: It makes NO DIFFERENCE.

The switch simply performs the function of isolating electrical equipment, nothing more. It's a wiring issue, it's engine age and customer option dependant, and can be modified or altered from how it was delivered. As there is no sophisticated electrical requirement in the DR - in most cases the digital watch on your wrist has greater electrical sophistication - this is all a completely moot point.

Archived