News: The Cat who liked water...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quality isn't as good here but some good detail on engine startup, stabilisers and landing gear operation. Also a distant touch and go (if thats what you would call it) on water.

Coops

Hi !

Just remember that not everyone has the equipment to handle VC very well or use of several monitor favors in some cases use of 2d. So maintaining both a VC and a 2d will give the users a broader range of options and probably give you a broader cutomer-base as well.

... and not any "negatives" in any reviews for missing a 2d cockpit.

Those who do not want to use 2D dont need too..

Regards

Bernt

Seeing as Aerosoft tends to strive for the highest poly count (see detail) in their designs I doubt that low end users are taken into account anyway. If you can't handle a VC only then the model itself might be too much for your system with their design standards, just an observation.

Not having a 2D isn't a negative for everyone, so it would depend on the person doing the review.

A year ago I would have scratched the Cat off my `must buy` list for daring to suggest no 2d panel. :?

However, Track IR, the RealAir aircraft, and the Shockwave approach with their fighters and the new Heinkel He219 have shown me quite clearly that pop-ups serve just as well, and the concentration should be on the VC. I have, in fact, completed a total volte face on the issue of the best way to present panels! :wink:

Remember too, that the VC offers animation options not available in 2d - splash effects and aircraft animations that all serve to enhance realism, but to achieve that really demands that resources be saved elsewhere - and the 2d gets my vote for the saving - pop ups or minimalist 2d will do just fine for me :D

Hi !

Just remember that not everyone has the equipment to handle VC very well or use of several monitor favors in some cases use of 2d. So maintaining both a VC and a 2d will give the users a broader range of options and probably give you a broader cutomer-base as well.

... and not any "negatives" in any reviews for missing a 2d cockpit.

Those who do not want to use 2D dont need too..

Regards

Bernt

A lot of the vc performance is in HOW it is built....There are aircraft out there that have amazing virtual cockpits with very little impact on FPS....and yet there are still others that have a huge effect on FPS....

My personal experiences tell me it's how the v/c is built that decides FPS...not just it being a v/c....

Just remember stating that it will be without a 2D panel, so 2D panel lovers don't make the mistake and buy it :wink:

Personally, I think it's selfish to spend so many hours to create a VC and not add a 2D panel (which is easier) for the people who use it. And believe me, they are many 8)

Andy

Hi Mathijs,

Great plane with a good amount of detail - actually like all your planes.

A good panel and interior and a paintkit is definitely a must.

As a certain actor once said: "Go ahead and make my day..." :lol:

Regards

Eberhard

• 3 weeks later...
  • Aerosoft
Hi Mathijs,

Any updates on the Cat :-) I'm very much looking forward to it's release...

Well, we will start the beta on June 1st. That shouls say something. I will also gather some images. Really looks good, the major problems is hitting the devs hard enough to avoid going overboard on polygons. It will be a heavy aircraft on FS for sure as we'll go as far as Fs will handle in size.

Maybe this is a bit late, but there is a very practical article on flying the Cat in the June 2005 issue no. 217 of 'Australian Aviation' published by Phantom Media Pty Ltd (www.ausaviation.com.au). The author was Bob Grimstead and the aircraft was (is?) operated by the Catalina Club of New Zealand Inc. (www.catalina.org.nz)

• 2 weeks later...
Well, we will start the beta on June 1st. That shouls say something. I will also gather some images. Really looks good, the major problems is hitting the devs hard enough to avoid going overboard on polygons. It will be a heavy aircraft on FS for sure as we'll go as far as Fs will handle in size.

If it's going to be this heavy then I don't care about the cost, a new computer is the way forward for me. I've decided to purchase a "PC" in keeping with the time, so an order has been placed for a Colossus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

Now I just need to employ a builder to house it! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to release time. I want to ask how is the development going without sounding eager and suffering from "are-we-there-yet"-itis but I'm afraid I can't do that lol..

Rui

• Aerosoft
Looking forward to release time. I want to ask how is the development going without sounding eager and suffering from "are-we-there-yet"-itis but I'm afraid I can't do that lol..

Rui

beta starts in 6 days... 14 days behind schedule, but on a dev time of 10 months I am not complaining... Release is scheduled 12 seconds after most issues (it's silly to write 'ALL issues' these days, you customers always find more then we could even hope to find) found in the beta are solved. I am getting better shots of all models this week.

Thanks Mathjis and I was not pushing, only very curious :). I will be buying it when it's out of the Hangar.

Cheers

Rui

• 2 weeks later...